Xbox One 500GB hard drives can't be replaced

I can't see what the issue is. 500gb will be more than enough for the average gamer.

MS' main audience is the average household, sure they'll look at the market size for people on here, the more hardcore gamer, and they've allowed for our needs by allowing us to add on an external HDD.

Why would MS think "Our hardcore gamers need 1TB of space compared to 500gb our casual gamer wants, lets put 1TB in, and increase the cost for everyone".

Putting in 500gb will mean the average person won't have to ever expand and the hardcore can if they want to. Simples.

I can't see what the issue is. 500gb will be more than enough for the average gamer.

MS' main audience is the average household, sure they'll look at the market size for people on here, the more hardcore gamer, and they've allowed for our needs by allowing us to add on an external HDD.

Why would MS think "Our hardcore gamers need 1TB of space compared to 500gb our casual gamer wants, lets put 1TB in, and increase the cost for everyone".

Putting in 500gb will mean the average person won't have to ever expand and the hardcore can if they want to. Simples.

My thoughts exactly.

It's never been about increasing the cost for MS, the discussion is about MS letting YOU increase YOUR cost by upgrading the drive YOURSELF. No one, and I mean no one, want's these new boxes any more expensive than they have to be. Especially not PS3 $599 expensive. Hell no.

The external drive is a great move for MS considering last gen they priced gauged on proprietary hard drive addons, but the question has to be asked, after seeing how successful user replacing hard drives has been for the PS3, why not internal on the One? There isn't really many good reasons why, and a few very minor nuances, but nuances nevertheless about having to increase your space through an additional piece of hardware to plugin.

What happens if you want to run the main OS on a solid state drive? Can you tell the Xbox One to ignore the internal drive and use your external SSD? Or is the external drive merely additional space used after the 500GB internal? With how SSD's are dropping in price, and with how fast these new consoles run, the bottleneck if anything will be old fashioned 7200RPM hard drive. Heck, people put SSD's in PS3s just now!

Considering I'm an athiest and think the word "sin" is stupid, certainly not :p

It's an annoying anti-consumer decision most of us thought MS would learn from after Sony allowed it on the PS3, that is all. There is a slight concern about what happens if your internal drive kicks the bucket (replacing a PS3 hard drive is "hard"? Try opening and dismantling a console...), and the even smaller annoyance of yeah you can plug an external drive in, but that's yet ANOTHER piece of hardware along with the kinect that needs hang around your TV. With an internal upgrade you bump up from 500GB to 1TB and the box/your TV setup doesn't change or have anything else cluttering it up. Simple.

What would they learn, Sony as you said, sold NO expansion kits. the majority of users would buy the official kit even if they can use any other, it's just a fact of life. which means that very few outside of the hardcore techie crowd ever upgraded the drive, so why would they waste resources making it user upgradeable.

It just doesn't make good business sense. I wonder what you'll say if Sony ends up not having a user upgradeable HDD as well though.

What would they learn, Sony as you said, sold NO expansion kits. the majority of users would buy the official kit even if they can use any other, it's just a fact of life. which means that very few outside of the hardcore techie crowd ever upgraded the drive, so why would they waste resources making it user upgradeable.

It just doesn't make good business sense. I wonder what you'll say if Sony ends up not having a user upgradeable HDD as well though.

I'd be very annoyed for the point you missed in my quote as I edited it in, I want to put a solid state drive in my PS4.

edit: I meant the point I edited in my last post

I see your point, however, it's not as if you'll be able to fill 500gb within the year unless you bought EVERY single game released.

So yeah your initial outlay would be ?x for the console, but then you wouldn't need to upgrade until maybe a year or two later.

Its no different to buying a computer surely? Average person would buy a computer from a store with X amount of hard drive space. Eventually they will need to upgrade the space, they would either buy a new computer or purchase additional space.

Thats how its always worked.

You get given an amount of space and then its your choice to upgrade. No one is forcing you to, you could just delete older games off to make more space.

Say I get Xbox One and install FIFA14. By the time FIFA 15 comes out I'll have played it to death and theres no need to keep it because its now old, so I'll delete FIFA 14 and use FIFA 15.

Seems people here (not aimed at you AudioBoxer, just been reading alot of threads where people are moaning) are in the mindset they want the best of every world and think the gaming industry needs to revolve around their needs and not their mass market.

Funny, you claim they have insecurities, yet you make comments like the one I bolded above. How exactly did it turn out? With great games on both systems? And almost identical numbers of units sold worldwide even with a year head start? Oh yeah, that turned out so awful. :rolleyes:

Do not blame these two guys for being the only ones to defend their brands. The SAME exact sort of things are said from the other side from those who prefer MS.

Defending your brand: defend false claims in the YOUR brands thread.

Attacking the competing brand: actively go into every thread for the competing brand and post negative comments about the brand and how their choices are worse. or Start redundant topics for every perceived "negative" rumor/news you come over while ignoring any other news.

which of these groups those AB's posts come under Dirty? honestly now ? is he really defending ? But then we're talking about the guy who along with shakey and a no longer with us XBOX fan(who left because of the hostile climate) created hostile climate on the gamer forums during the last console generation launch, and then proclaimed himself the savior of the gamer forums, so let's not live under any illusions here.

Whenever It post in the PS4 threads, I try to keep factual and just post about the news, though at times I wish I would stoop to AB's level since I've had some real good negative comments I could drop in those threads, but I don't feel it's worth it both because it's juvenile, serves no purpose and to try to avoid the GH becoming what it was last time. so far it hasn't quite gotten to that level. but that's not because of AB at any rate, though Shakey seems to have grown up quite a bit since then, though Mart is at times trying to fill his old shoes.

The sooner you stop living under the delusions that the conversations that are going on on Neowin are somehow vastly different and/or hostile/unfair/or destruction causing in comparison to ANY other gaming forum right now, the easier you'll find your time on Neowin. I think you'll find tempers/swearing/ban handouts and general insanity of a much higher volume than on here on pretty much any other popular gaming forum - GameFAQs and the IGN boards are sure to scare you.

NeoGAF whether you want to accept it or not is the most active gaming forum on the internet, go see if you can find all the topics currently in the Neowin GH on here - http://www.neogaf.co...display.php?f=2

I'm sure you'll find them and more, and a fyi, all my topics these days generally get lifted from GAF. It's been said many times before, if I don't post them, either no one does and forums get some degree of stagnation, or someone else posts them.

:huh:

Save games? I can play Portal 2 on my PS3 and then transfer my progress to Portal 2 on the PC.

Steam Cloud

5752067148_3abccdf9c1.jpg

How do I use the Steam Cloud features for Portal 2 on my PS3?

Steam Cloud is automatically enabled once you've linked your PSN and Steam accounts.

Portal 2 for PS3 is the only console version that supports Steam Cloud, which allows your settings, and saves to be transferable from one PS3 to another, or any computer to another computer. This allows you transfer your game saves to other PS3s without ever having to backup your save on a USB stick or having to use the PlayStation Plus psn+.png Cloud service.

You know storage wasn't his point, hence cloud computing not cloud storage.

When I said look how that turned out I was actually trying to say there really was no difference. That people still bought the box they wanted wether it was ps or Xbox. The processing power of any one console didn't have such a great impact on sales.

So really I dot see what's so wrong with my comment.

Um dude I'm pretty sure thats what he is getting at... It doesn't matter that the PS3 had "better" graphics hardware (we could argue for days on the hardware to software efficiency) they both roughly sold the same.

Sorry, but that was not clearly shown to be the intent of the comment, and the phrase "and look at how that turned out" no doubt alludes to the fact something did not go according to plan for one party being discussed. Which I am not even sure how that conclusion is made to be quite honest.

Defending your brand: defend false claims in the YOUR brands thread.

Attacking the competing brand: actively go into every thread for the competing brand and post negative comments about the brand and how their choices are worse. or Start redundant topics for every perceived "negative" rumor/news you come over while ignoring any other news.

which of these groups those AB's posts come under Dirty? honestly now ? is he really defending ? But then we're talking about the guy who along with shakey and a no longer with us XBOX fan(who left because of the hostile climate) created hostile climate on the gamer forums during the last console generation launch, and then proclaimed himself the savior of the gamer forums, so let's not live under any illusions here.

Whenever It post in the PS4 threads, I try to keep factual and just post about the news, though at times I wish I would stoop to AB's level since I've had some real good negative comments I could drop in those threads, but I don't feel it's worth it both because it's juvenile, serves no purpose and to try to avoid the GH becoming what it was last time. so far it hasn't quite gotten to that level. but that's not because of AB at any rate, though Shakey seems to have grown up quite a bit since then, though Mart is at times trying to fill his old shoes.

Sure, there is no doubt at all they are more critical of MS, but I have seen AB and shakey be critical of moves Sony has made as well. I sincerely think they start those threads specifically because they know it gets on peoples nerves because there is such a stance by a few members that how dare you say anything critical about MS. If the supporters of MS were not so vehement on defending every move MS chooses to make, and were capable of stepping back sometimes and realizing that perhaps certain moves were not the best, even if they choose to believe everything they do is swell, to be able to step back and realize those choices may not suit everyone's needs or be everyone's opinions, I can pretty much guarantee you that they are not that intent on bringing up the negative.

I hope I explained that well, but it basically goes back to what i always use to say as a Moderator, it takes two to tango. And I really think those choose to post what can be perceived as more negative stories just because they know it will get on peoples nerves that much more, because the pro MS stance is so rigid on the forums. I also use to have to remind people a whole lot, it is not like anyone who post negative news is writing the stories themselves either. They are just quoting other news sources. The truth is there are sites out there who lean more towards MS, and sites out there who lean more towards Sony. So you are going to have to deal with both sides.

The sooner you stop living under the delusions that the conversations that are going on on Neowin are somehow vastly different and/or hostile/unfair/or destruction causing in comparison to ANY other gaming forum right now, the easier you'll find your time on Neowin. I think you'll find tempers/swearing/ban handouts and general insanity of a much higher volume than on here on pretty much any other popular gaming forum - GameFAQs and the IGN boards are sure to scare you.

NeoGAF whether you want to accept it or not is the most active gaming forum on the internet, go see if you can find all the topics currently in the Neowin GH on here - http://www.neogaf.co...display.php?f=2

I'm sure you'll find them and more, and a fyi, all my topics these days generally get lifted from GAF. It's been said many times before, if I don't post them, either no one does and forums get some degree of stagnation, or someone else posts them.

I'm not scared of that or the acidity of other forums. THIS however is NOT those other forums, and we have stricter rules and try to be a bit more civilized. "because they are bad places to" is not a good reason to act like an idiot on this forum and try to drag the GH down into the mud again now that we finally got it somewhat decent. as I recall you yourself was the one who left twice because of how bad it was here. and here you are not only trying to drag it down again, defending your actions to do so...

Why don't we try to keep the Neowin GH a place for Grown up Gamers to talk about things without the teen angst rage on those other places you talked about, huh ?

Sure, there is no doubt at all they are more critical of MS, but I have seen AB and shakey be critical of moves Sony has made as well. I sincerely think they start those threads specifically because they know it gets on peoples nerves because there is such a stance by a few members that how dare you say anything critical about MS.

that I believe falls under flame baiting and would be against the rules. we should all be grown up enough to not to crap like that don't you think ?

I'm not scared of that or the acidity of other forums. THIS however is NOT those other forums, and we have stricter rules and try to be a bit more civilized. "because they are bad places to" is not a good reason to act like an idiot on this forum and try to drag the GH down into the mud again now that we finally got it somewhat decent. as I recall you yourself was the one who left twice because of how bad it was here. and here you are not only trying to drag it down again, defending your actions to do so...

Why don't we try to keep the Neowin GH a place for Grown up Gamers to talk about things without the teen angst rage on those other places you talked about, huh ?

Yes because a forum almost starved of activity in the GH like Neowin is in a position to put itself on a pedestal over some of the most active forums on the whole internet. How are those forums active? People discuss the latest gaming topics, and the moderation cleans up any day-to-day necessities from online discussion. Also, please stop living in the past, behavioral mistakes are back there, in regards to swearing/name calling and other nonsense, that yes I take account for and was involved in. NONE of that is going on right now, simply Xbox fans unhappy at the way the world wide web is perceiving the Xbox One. That's not mine or anyone elses fault, and everyone is entitled to at least agree or disagree, even if others disagree with you agreeing/disagreeing - As long as it's clean, which it is.

What caused issues in the GH in the past wasn't so much allegiances, but the way in which said allegiances were spoken about - Language, topics being locked non-stop, etc. I haven't seen one mod needing to clean any of these Xbox topics since the other day.

Also posting a topic which gets on someones nerves isn't flamebait if the topic is from a reputable site and is being discussed many other places. If that were flamebait you wouldn't even have a forum. Can you imagine Windows vs Mac? People would be playing the "this topic gets on my nerves" card constantly. Or Apple vs Google.

:huh:

Save games? I can play Portal 2 on my PS3 and then transfer my progress to Portal 2 on the PC.

Steam Cloud

5752067148_3abccdf9c1.jpg

How do I use the Steam Cloud features for Portal 2 on my PS3?

Steam Cloud is automatically enabled once you've linked your PSN and Steam accounts.

Portal 2 for PS3 is the only console version that supports Steam Cloud, which allows your settings, and saves to be transferable from one PS3 to another, or any computer to another computer. This allows you transfer your game saves to other PS3s without ever having to backup your save on a USB stick or having to use the PlayStation Plus psn+.png Cloud service.

cloud computing

You know storage wasn't his point, hence cloud computing not cloud storage.

^^ as he said.

Sorry, but that was not clearly shown to be the intent of the comment, and the phrase "and look at how that turned out" no doubt alludes to the fact something did not go according to plan for one party being discussed. Which I am not even sure how that conclusion is made to be quite honest.

Sure, there is no doubt at all they are more critical of MS, but I have seen AB and shakey be critical of moves Sony has made as well. I sincerely think they start those threads specifically because they know it gets on peoples nerves because there is such a stance by a few members that how dare you say anything critical about MS. If the supporters of MS were not so vehement on defending every move MS chooses to make, and were capable of stepping back sometimes and realizing that perhaps certain moves were not the best, even if they choose to believe everything they do is swell, to be able to step back and realize those choices may not suit everyone's needs or be everyone's opinions, I can pretty much guarantee you that they are not that intent on bringing up the negative.

I hope I explained that well, but it basically goes back to what i always use to say as a Moderator, it takes two to tango. And I really think those choose to post what can be perceived as more negative stories just because they know it will get on peoples nerves that much more, because the pro MS stance is so rigid on the forums. I also use to have to remind people a whole lot, it is not like anyone who post negative news is writing the stories themselves either. They are just quoting other news sources. The truth is there are sites out there who lean more towards MS, and sites out there who lean more towards Sony. So you are going to have to deal with both sides.

Audioboxer is more critical? Are you ****ing serious? What he has done is pure spamming and if I may, trolling. He started 7 threads in less than 24 hrs on essentially 2 topics.

It's been my stand since long that all he does is flood the Xbox forums with every possible negative piece he can find about Xbox. He started 7 threads on 2 topics but couldn't start a single thread on other big news about HyperV, Cloud computing, social features etc that came out of it.

Everyone knows he is more (possibly only) interested in PS3/4 yet he started "Xbox One is not backwards compatible" as if this is unique to Xbox? Where is his thread on "PS4 is not backwards compatible"? Why are such threads on Sony side never started by him?

post-62693-0-52341700-1369233014.jpg

This when we already had an official topic for conference related discussion. I can imagine probably at the most 2 topics out of that awful show from Microsoft. One for hardware/software features and one for their new controversial and still ambiguous always-on-DRM stuff.

And please, don't pull out the "Don't shoot the messenger" defense.

• Like 2

Hes posting news, this section of the forums has been dead for ages, if it weren't for him this place would be a ghost town.

Nice to see nearly every single one of those topics above with multiple pages, guess the troops on Neowin want to have a discussion ;)

Nice to see nearly every single one of those topics above with multiple pages, guess the troops on Neowin want to have a discussion ;)

Only if the news is positive.

• Like 1

F*** this thread and all the Xbox One threads.

I'm interested in both systems as competition is what's driving both these next gen machines to be quite outstanding looking.

currently i'm swinging to the Xbox side and the multiple threads stared by a certain member slagging it down are making me feel less and less for the new PS.

Shame some members have to resort to being like this when we could just talk sensibly about the pros and cons of each machine.

I got this image from wired article, http://www.wired.com...#slideid-138497

And from my experiences replacing various HDD on PC & laptops,

it seems you can easly replace the XBOX One's HDD.

BUT wether it would works afterward is another story ...

519d67c55d1d8.jpg

My guess is that XBOX One' OS are in that HDD, and very likely is in encrypted form,

and thats why it not 'replaceable', you can get similar/better HDD for sure,

but less likely you can obtain the encrypted OS for the new HDD, thats required for XBOX-1 operationals.

No wonder many said that XBOX-1 is no longer a 'Game Console', its a 'PC' now.

Audioboxer is more critical? Are you ****ing serious? What he has done is pure spamming and if I may, trolling. He started 7 threads in less than 24 hrs on essentially 2 topics.

It's been my stand since long that all he does is flood the Xbox forums with every possible negative piece he can find about Xbox. He started 7 threads on 2 topics but couldn't start a single thread on other big news about HyperV, Cloud computing, social features etc that came out of it.

You do understand you are sounding like a spoilt child, right? "Someone is posting critical things about a particular product, that is unacceptable!" If he was posting things that were false or fake I would agree that he was being a troll, but nothing he's posted so far is false, it just isn't always flattering.

500GB seems like plenty of space to store games that you're playing even semi-regularly. You'll probably have to delete older games that you don't play anymore.

It's not, my PS3 500GB HDD is full, and that's just games and dlc.

Yes because a forum almost starved of activity in the GH like Neowin is in a position to put itself on a pedestal over some of the most active forums on the whole internet. How are those forums active? People discuss the latest gaming topics, and the moderation cleans up any day-to-day necessities from online discussion. Also, please stop living in the past, behavioral mistakes are back there, in regards to swearing/name calling and other nonsense, that yes I take account for and was involved in. NONE of that is going on right now, simply Xbox fans unhappy at the way the world wide web is perceiving the Xbox One. That's not mine or anyone elses fault, and everyone is entitled to at least agree or disagree, even if others disagree with you agreeing/disagreeing - As long as it's clean, which it is.

What caused issues in the GH in the past wasn't so much allegiances, but the way in which said allegiances were spoken about - Language, topics being locked non-stop, etc. I haven't seen one mod needing to clean any of these Xbox topics since the other day.

Also posting a topic which gets on someones nerves isn't flamebait if the topic is from a reputable site and is being discussed many other places. If that were flamebait you wouldn't even have a forum. Can you imagine Windows vs Mac? People would be playing the "this topic gets on my nerves" card constantly. Or Apple vs Google.

You say you've learned, changed and grown.... I'm not seeing it, you're doing EXACTLY the same as last time. It's just that the Xbox people aren't actively creating anti PS4 threads this time around. It's just you fighting a one way **** throwing war of FUD. Must be afraid people but the Xbox one instead of the PS4 for some reason.

You do understand you are sounding like a spoilt child, right? "Someone is posting critical things about a particular product, that is unacceptable!" If he was posting things that were false or fake I would agree that he was being a troll, but nothing he's posted so far is false, it just isn't always flattering.

He posted several rumors that MS has already said isn't true or isn't final and the final workings are still unknown. Meanwhile he hasn't posted any of the many many news posted on Polygon discounting all these rumors or talking about them and how they will actually work in a positive way. He's cherry picking news for the sole purpose of flame baiting.

Honestly he should stop worrying about the XBOX ONE that he won't buy, and get back to the Sony forums and post positive things about his own baby.

It's not, my PS3 500GB HDD is full, and that's just games and dlc.

Good thing you can attach a external HDD then.