Photo

Xbox One 500GB hard drives can't be replaced

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#16 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:48

wont be long until somebody will deliberately tries to change the HDD, and posting the result on internet.

#17 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:53

wont be long until somebody will deliberately tries to change the HDD, and posting the result on internet.

Give it about 24 hours after release ;)

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:55

Except you can buy a new one and easily replace it on PS3.

Except 99.9% of people would never do that and would never touch an advanced electronics device with the tools required to do so. even if it's "easy".

#19 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:04

Except 99.9% of people would never do that and would never touch an advanced electronics device with the tools required to do so. even if it's "easy".

That's actually a very good point, I think we as "power users" and "tech experts" often forget that the average joe has no idea how to replace a faulty HDD nor will he be able to actually determine its the HDD at fault. I suspect MS may have some issues with people replacing the HDD by themselves thinking they knew what they were doing only to find $200 later that the CPU has clapped out.

#20 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:36

99.9‰ of people? Talk about pulling something out of your you know what. The PS3 manual tells you how, Sony advertise it on FB/Twitter and the phone support staff will walk you through it.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:59

99.9‰ of people? Talk about pulling something out of your you know what. The PS3 manual tells you how, Sony advertise it on FB/Twitter and the phone support staff will walk you through it.

The the very WAST majority of console gamers are not tech nerds like us. do you realize how small a fragment of the population we are. or is the PS3 magically only bought by tech nerds.

it doesn't matter if the manual says how to, my mother she would be scared to switch the HDD on a 360, and that's a quick easy swap. as easy as the PS3 is it's an order of magnitude beyond this.

I actually considered 99.9% to be an optimistic number.

#22 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:07

The the very WAST majority of console gamers are not tech nerds like us. do you realize how small a fragment of the population we are. or is the PS3 magically only bought by tech nerds.

it doesn't matter if the manual says how to, my mother she would be scared to switch the HDD on a 360, and that's a quick easy swap. as easy as the PS3 is it's an order of magnitude beyond this.

I actually considered 99.9% to be an optimistic number.

Well you're seriously out of touch with this generation considering Sony have sold absolutely no official hard drive addons and have had absolutely no issues at all. When people run out or low on space they'll consult friends or family or Sony or the staff at Best Buy/Game/Gamestop/Walmart etc.

Playing the "society are all helpless dumb people who cannot use the internet or phone the manufacturer or ask in retail" card in a world of smart phones and tablets and interactive TVs gets seriously flawed.

#23 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:41

Except when the warranty runs out, these consoles are expected to last 6+ years.

With the new Xbox you are screwed, there is no indication whether the XOne will support large external HDDs yet, the 360 is limited to 32GB sticks.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:45

Well you're seriously out of touch with this generation considering Sony have sold absolutely no official hard drive addons and have had absolutely no issues at all. When people run out or low on space they'll consult friends or family or Sony or the staff at Best Buy/Game/Gamestop/Walmart etc.

Playing the "society are all helpless dumb people who cannot use the internet or phone the manufacturer or ask in retail" card in a world of smart phones and tablets and interactive TVs gets seriously flawed.

So, they haven't sold any official HDD kits. and that proves what. these technologically inept people don't update their HDD officially or unofficially most of them aren't even aware they can. they start up their PS3, and play games or watch BD's that's it.

You're seriously out of touch with the average consumer.

Except when the warranty runs out, these consoles are expected to last 6+ years.

With the new Xbox you are screwed, there is no indication whether the XOne will support large external HDDs yet, the 360 is limited to 32GB sticks.

and when the warranty runs out they either send them in or hand them in to be fixed by people who know what they do, and you know what, they PAY for this service. I should know, I'm one of the people who gets paid.

and yes, let's ignore the fact it was SPECIFICALLY STATED on the presentation you can plug in any USB3 HDD and use it for downloads, installs and storage.

#25 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.0 GDR3

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:46

As long as you can extend it: who cares?

#26 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:47

So, they haven't sold any official HDD kits. and that proves what. these technologically inept people don't update their HDD officially or unofficially most of them aren't even aware they can. they start up their PS3, and play games or watch BD's that's it.

If that is the case what is your point? That select audience wouldn't replace on the 360 either. If someone doesn't need to update then they don't do it. Being able to user replace the drive is pro-consumer, easy for those that find out how, and in absolutely no way an unachievable task.

How a drive can be replaced is only ever going to be appliable to a consumer that needs to do it. If your mother doesn't need to/care for/or can't replace a 360 hard drive she wasn't replacing a PS3 one no matter how the process is carried out.

My point in regards to Sony not selling official hard drives is that those people that need to or want more space have clearly not had a "99.9%" percentile issue with the PS3 as it's now sold what, nearly 80 million units and Sony have not needed to release any official hard drive addons. That speaks volumes.

#27 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:49

and when the warranty runs out they either send them in or hand them in to be fixed by people who know what they do, and you know what, they PAY for this service. I should know, I'm one of the people who gets paid.

and yes, let's ignore the fact it was SPECIFICALLY STATED on the presentation you can plug in any USB3 HDD and use it for downloads, installs and storage.

Or they just unscrew the one screw holding the HDD tray in instead of spending silly money getting it "repaired".

They said in the presentation you could use USB3 HDDs but not what size. Current Xbox is limited to 32GB for NO reason whatsoever.

#28 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:56

Or they just unscrew the one screw holding the HDD tray in instead of spending silly money getting it "repaired".

They said in the presentation you could use USB3 HDDs but not what size. Current Xbox is limited to 32GB for NO reason whatsoever.

I think it's mostly limited by the file system used by the Xbox but I might be wrong.

#29 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:59

It uses the same FATX file system of the HDD there is no size limit.

#30 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:04

It's a bit naive to think NO reason, it's simply to encourage you to buy the official hard drive addons. If you could plug in any external drive and use all the space word of mouth would spread and MS profits would dip.

Kind of like why a mobile hardware maker will offer an 8GB and a 16GB option, the 8GB phone very cheap, the 16GB unrealistically more expensive, and guess what, neither have an sd cart slot (yes looking at you Google). Why? An SD cart slot would make most people buy the cheap 8GB phone and add their own space MUCH MUCH more cheaper than the charge in difference between the 8GB and 16GB phone.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!