Xbox One Requires Daily Internet Connection

Whilst Microsoft?s official press site states that the Xbox ?does not have to be always connected? it has emerged this evening that a daily connection is required.

?We?re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready,? claims Microsoft.

?We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection,? continues the press release.

Kotaku grabbed Microsoft?s Phil Harrison to explain.

?For single-player games that don?t require connectivity to Xbox Live, you should be able to play those without interruption should your Internet connection go down,? said Harrison.

?If I?m playing a single player game,? asks the site?s Stephen Totilo, ?do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks??

?I believe it?s 24 hours,? came the reply.

That ? to us ? means that unless your Xbox One can make at least one connection to the internet each day, it won?t be able to play games at all.

Whilst that might not be that stringent a check, imagine you?re not able to connect up your console at all. University halls, holidays, when you?re moving house and don?t have the internet, etc.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/05/22/xbox-one-requires-daily-internet-connection/

That says absolutely nothing. kotaku has been wrong about almost everything so far.

Phil Harrison is not Kotaku.

Microsoft has already said it hasn't released any information on the potential Internet requirements of the console yet and everything out there isn't accurate, hence why we haven't reported it.

Microsoft has already said it hasn't released any information on the potential Internet requirements of the console yet and everything out there isn't accurate, hence why we haven't reported it.

So Neowin do not comment on "rumour and speculation" if you want to call it that? Yeah, okay... "newsite".

• Like 1

So Neowin do not comment on "rumour and speculation" if you want to call it that? Yeah, okay... "newsite".

Please don't flamebait me by insulting our site and its quality of writing.

I never said we don't comment on rumor and speculation. We routinely write about rumors, if they seem credible. I said Microsoft already denied the report almost as soon as it was released, so we saw no reason to write about it and spread misinformation. There may be an Internet limit, but Microsoft is refusing to comment on it in almost any fashion, which means there's nothing to report at the moment.

Since I can't post a thread due to my junior member status, here is the full breakdown + some theory filling in the gaps as to what MS has announced in regards to console operation so far.

Games have mandatory installation and can't be played off discs. Whenever a game disc is inserted and the game is not installed, an Xbox Live connection is required to initialize the install with a one-use key. On the first console you install the game on (main console that is associated with your account) the game will work for any user, and can be played without a disc in the console.

If the game disc is put in a console not mainly associated with your account, the game's install will be a limited one (where only your account is allowed to use it). If another user wants to play the game, they will be required to connect to Xbox Live and pay a fee (which is full price right now according to a statement). If the fee is paid, it becomes available to all users on the console.

Now for the second part. Everytime you log into your account, all the game licenses you have get activated for the console you're playing on (if this is your main console, it allows the game to be played by anyone, if it another, the license only applies to your account). This in turn sends out a deactivate license command to whichever other console had an active license for your games. So if that console happens to be connected to Xbox Live for a bit with whichever account, the games that are licensed to you will stop working right away.

Back to a console with an activated license. Once you disconnect from Xbox Live, a 24 hour timer starts on the game's license validity on that console. Once the license is up, you will be locked out of playing the game until you log back into Xbox Live with your account which will bring the licenses back to active status.

This is done by MS to prevent this type of scenario (with their game installation licenses):

Take a game like Skyrim which can take days if not weeks to complete and can be played completely offline for that amount of time.

Now User A has the license to Skyrim. He goes to User B and installs the game to Console B with his own account. Now User B disables the internet connection and plays Skyrim with User A's account for weeks on end, enjoying the game for free with no money spent on it while User A could also be playing Skyrim on his console while logged in online.

The only thing User B misses out on is achievements on his own account, but many people would not mind not getting achievements on their own account if they got to play games for free.

Anyways, with this 24 hour requirement. User B would only have a 24 hour period (rather than an infinite amount of time) to play Skyrim even while his Xbox was in complete offline mode and he was using User A's account offline.

Basically, pursuing disc-free operation has led to the creation of this crappy requirement.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58448005&postcount=1269

There is an accurate article. I created a thread about this before this thread was created with a link to Kotaku

http://www.neowin.ne...net-connection/

There is an accurate article. I created a thread about this before this thread with a link to Kotaku

http://www.neowin.ne...net-connection/

Microsoft has already said that information is not accurate and it was only a hypothetical scenario. Harrison was apparently speaking about something that Microsoft hasn't finalized. There may be a requirement of some sort, there may not be -- we'll have to wait and see.

ETA: We're probably not going to write about it so as not to spread misinformation, but feel free to read Polygon's article on the issue of used games and an Internet requirement.

Microsoft has already said that information is not accurate and it was only a hypothetical scenario. Harrison was apparently speaking about something that Microsoft hasn't finalized. There may be a requirement of some sort, there may not be -- we'll have to wait and see.

Harrison is a head employee at MS, even if his scenario is "hypothetical" to say it shouldn't be reported, not even as a "hypothetical" solution that a head MS employee has verbally committed to isn't exactly keeping up with the rest of the media reporting.

You came in the thread and said you didn't want to report it for Neowin dude, I wasn't even asking for Neowin to, simply stating your reason not to hasn't stopped Neowin posting rumours and speculation before.

Harrison is a head employee at MS, even if his scenario is "hypothetical" to say it shouldn't be reported, not even as a "hypothetical" solution that a head MS employee has verbally committed to isn't exactly keeping up with the rest of the media reporting.

You came in the thread and said you didn't want to report it for Neowin dude, I wasn't even asking for Neowin to, simply stating your reason not to hasn't stopped Neowin posting rumours and speculation before.

He said "I believe"...not much of a commitment. Sounds more like he doesn't quite know what he's talking about.

Maybe Microsoft is holding back on saying if games will need a connection or not, to prevent scaring people leading to a pre launch disaster!

He said "I believe"...not much of a commitment. Sounds more like he doesn't quite know what he's talking about.

So he's high up in the MS Xbox division and is making things up/Doesn't know about something this specific in the console he has helped design? Does that really sound likely?

You don't even talk about things like this if they do not exist in some form, case, Sony

Playstation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/03/20/michael-denny/

The backpeddling, multiple explanations and general cluster**** that's going on since this event doesn't just "happen" from people "not knowing what they're talking about".

OK, let me clarify this for you: We're not reporting a statement that has already been denied by the company at the heart of it. We do report on rumors and speculation when companies do not debunk them.

My reason for us not writing about it is because we already asked Microsoft about it and they basically said it was completely inaccurate. Why would we report information that has already been debunked? We've written plenty of stuff critical of Microsoft before. Save the conspiracy theories of us not "keeping up with the rest of the media reporting."

Kotaku asked a single Microsoft employee a question, and he gave a hypothetical scenario. They either didn't seek clarification from other Microsoft personnel at the event or their PR team or they didn't receive responses. We did, and the response was that it wasn't true, so we didn't report it.

• Like 3

So he's high up in the MS Xbox division and is making things up/Doesn't know about something this specific in the console he has helped design? Does that really sound likely?

The backpeddling, multiple explanations and general cluster**** that's going on since this event doesn't just "happen" from people "not knowing what they're talking about".

Calm down dude, its not a big deal. Its not uncommon for higher ups to not know everything.

Calm down dude, its not a big deal. Its not uncommon for higher ups to not know everything.

On the big day of your massive prepared hardware launch, as the public relations figure delegated to do journalist interviews, that, quite frankly at a company of MS size would be a disciplinary offense. MS fired Adam Orth....

It's more like they didn't prepare to answer journalists questions in a way that didn't cause public upset prior to E3. In other words, the no comment or least damaging wording. No company enjoys presenting DRM in this day and age, always trying to candy wrap it - See Diablo 3 and Sim City.

On the big day of your massive prepared hardware launch, as the public relations figure delegated to do journalist interviews, that, quite frankly at a company of MS size would be a disciplinary offense. MS fired Adam Orth....

It's more like they didn't prepare to answer journalists questions in a way that didn't cause public upset prior to E3. In other words, the no comment or least damaging wording. No company enjoys presenting DRM in this day and age, always trying to candy wrap it - See Diablo 3 and Sim City.

So don't buy it then. Why waste your time complaining about it here.

Fact is this isn't the same and its not going to change things for most people.

So don't buy it then. Why waste your time complaining about it here.

Fact is this isn't the same and its not going to change things for most people.

Because it's a forum first and foremost, gaming is my hobby secondly, and lastly seeing the industry move in ways I do not like is going to illicit a reaction from me. How can NeoGAF reach 80+ pages of discussion, yet on Neowin we want everyone to stay silent/shutup if we do not like something?

These topics are being discussed globally right now, they aren't simply gamers opinion pieces being posted in masses (like a running blog or something).

• Like 3

I think Microsoft is keeping the internet connected details secret until launch. Whatever they are conspiring to keep secret leaked a little today and now they are saying what the Vice President of Microsoft said wasnt true facts. I think the PS4 will be the true winner when its unveiled!

Its amazing how stupid people have to get one console or the other. That one console is better then the other. They are pretty similar and not that different. Games will pretty much be the same. Sony maybe a little more powerful but I don't think it will mean much. Kinect 2.0 looks really cool. I was one who was really disappointed with the original kinetic ...I thought it was under powered and not very useful. The second version looks like really a different beast. It going to be interesting how developers use it in games.

I think Microsoft is keeping the internet connected details secret until launch. Whatever they are conspiring to keep secret leaked a little today and now they are saying what the Vice President of Microsoft said wasnt true facts. I think the PS4 will be the true winner when its unveiled!

I think it was unveiled, but nobody cared.

It is kind of disturbing that the Kinect has to be connected and is always listening. :|

From Kotaku

"Instead of calming people's fears, then, Microsoft served only to inflame them. Whoops.

It didn't help that many of the other key announcements fell flat. TV integration is...OK, I guess, if you're in America, but most people on this planet are not, and as of now, the US is the only place the feature is going to work.

Mandatory Kinect usage is also a little disturbing. The camera is listening out for you even when it's "off" (it's never really off), and while Microsoft has issued a statement saying it has "strong privacy protections" in place, people are still rightly concerned that a machine -connected to the internet and featuring a camera which is always listening - might be a problem."

http://kotaku.com/that-xbox-one-reveal-sure-was-a-disaster-huh-509192266