It's pronounced "jif" says GIF creator Steve Wilhite.

How is someone going to tell the creator how it's pronounced? lol. I mean, you can pronounce it another way, but you're pronouncing it incorrectly.

You're missing the point. As I already pointed out, there are so many exceptions to the "rule" as to make it meaningless - that's why it is not widely taught. More importantly, the OED officially recognises both pronunciations and has stated that it is beyond the GIF inventor's control to determine how it is pronounced. That means people are correct to pronounce it with a hard G, just as they are with a soft G.

My statement was perfectly legitimate and backed up by the OED. Your statement was also correct. Your entire argument seems to be predicated on a rule that isn't enforced, isn't widely known and isn't accurate.

I pointed out countless examples of worked beginning with G-I to support my point and shall repeat them, as you clearly seem to have ignored them. There's: give, gift, gill, gig, git, girl, girth, etc. The word "gift" is strikingly similar to "gif" and is pronounced with a hard G.

The English language isn't based on rigid rules and absolutes - it evolves over time and is based on common usage. Frankly, I couldn't care less how you pronounce it, nor that you choose to cling to meaningless rules. I pronounce it with a hard G, as does everybody else I know.

I'm not arguing the fact that Oxford accepts both pronunciations in fact I already stated this explicitly.

I also acknowledged the numerous words that don't follow the rules so it's, again, a bit snide that you feel the need to repeat yourself and even say that I'm ignoring them.

I made my point as clearly as anyone would be able to and yet you still would rather disregard what little rules/guidelines the English language does have in favor of what you're accustomed to. There's really nothing more to be said.

How is someone going to tell the creator how it's pronounced? lol. I mean, you can pronounce it another way, but you're pronouncing it incorrectly.

He should have named it properly if he wanted it pronounced properly. :p

Yeah, but he's wrong. Because to pronounce it as Jif is nonsensical and confusing. The first word is Graphical. Not Jraphical. If the acronym represented Jangle Interchange Interface, then it would be pronounced JIF.

I was going to reply to people on this thread.....but so many idiots, so little time.....

The creator says that it is said like that. Oxford has to correct it. End of story.

I've know its proper pronunciation, but I've always said Gif and not Jif. If he wants everybody to call it Jif he should of named it Jif!

otherwise we'll have to replace G in Graphics with J. Jraphics. :s :rofl:

any other examples where a word starting with 'G' is pronounced as 'J'?

Germany

Gin

Giraffe

Gigantic

Gem

Gorge

Gist

Giant

Ginseng

Ginger

Gypsy

Gym

Geography

ok, ginger and gym are all good. But GIF will stay GIF for me, not JIF. Hard G as in Graphics Interchange Format, which it is!

Yeah, but he's wrong. Because to pronounce it as Jif is nonsensical and confusing. The first word is Graphical. Not Jraphical. If the acronym represented Jangle Interchange Interface, then it would be pronounced JIF.

Do you also pronounce JPEG as Jay-Feg?

Also the English language makes no sense. There is no logic in the language.