AnandTech: Xbox One vs. PS4 - Hardware comparison

Heh made me chuckle that Major Nelson put "May not work on mobile or older browsers " and it actually doesn't work in IE10 as WebGL isn't supported in IE10.

Looks good and nice to see many I/O options on the back.

it works in IE10 for me

here

Yea that's not WebGL it falls back to orbiting around a series of images. Try it in Firefox or Chrome and it's proper WebGL.IE11 will be the first Microsoft browser to support WebGL.

passed up on posting this a while. the trade off is while the ps4 may have nice graphics, the one should have more responsive physics. a continuation of the prevailing operating attitudes from both companies systems for some time now.

How should it have more responsive physics?

Sony has worked with AMD to beef up each ALU to allow graphics and compute threads to run in parallel unlike a desktop GPU which can only run graphics OR compute threads on a shader at once, one has to stop before it can process the other.

From Microsoft Architectural Briefing it seems like its a bog standard GPU with the ESRAM and Move Engines trying to pick up the slack.

How should it have more responsive physics?

Sony has worked with AMD to beef up each ALU to allow graphics and compute threads to run in parallel unlike a desktop GPU which can only run graphics OR compute threads on a shader at once, one has to stop before it can process the other.

From Microsoft Architectural Briefing it seems like its a bog standard GPU with the ESRAM and Move Engines trying to pick up the slack.

That Architectural briefing was a waste of time. It was mostly marketing crap fed by MS about CLOUD... I think you are discounting what MS did very easily. You might be right but we don't know much to pass a judgement ("bog standard").

From the information they gave it is bog standard, verified by the fact that they are trying to offload it to the cloud. They are making a huge mistake but I will be happy to post an apology if I got it wrong.

So buy the PS4. Everyone knows that the PS4 has stronger specs, the question is just how much. and that doesn't really matter at this point. No matter how much people argue in here, the specs for One will remain the same, so get your pre-order in for the PS4. Personally I'm buying the One, because I like Halo, Forza etc. and I won't get that on the PS4 even if they'd upgraded it to a dual-processor system.

Forza, halo and then? Everyone knows Sony has the best first and second party developers.

From the information they gave it is bog standard, verified by the fact that they are trying to offload it to the cloud. They are making a huge mistake but I will be happy to post an apology if I got it wrong.

I will mark this post.

Forza, halo and then? Everyone knows Sony has the best first and second party developers.

The strongest machine has NEVER, EVER won their respective console generation and that won't change this time.

MS now also has more first parties than Sony, 22 versus 13 for Sony. Many, if not most of their newest studios were formed or bought during the current gen to make software for the upcoming generation. Though they have a lot to prove, I wouldn't count them out as a few of the smaller ones have already released great titles on the Xbox 360.

The PS4 is once again aiming to be the most expensive machine of the bunch and that will not work in Sony's favor once more as both the console and the controller will be far more expensive to make and very likely cost a lot more in R&D as well. A $100 price advantage (looking at the components) for MS will destroy Sony's sales, unless Sony is willing to take the loss in their present already very poor condition.

Thanks for that wonderful and insightful addition to the discussion at hand.

Also thanks to your constant negativism against anything Microsoft ;)

I don?t know if is so so difficult to have both platforms and enjoy them like a true gamer, it is a $$ problem? living room space problem?

To be honest, I'm sure you could count on one hand the number of first party dev's that come to your mind for Sony, as well as MS. Most developers are multiplatform now.

Thanks for that wonderful and insightful addition to the discussion at hand.

yep you can bet that was a very nice addition to the discussion. anyways, I see that you and a lot of people are going by one little guestimation and so getting your 1.23tflops. and that is guessing that the xbox One is running at the same clock speed that the ps4 is running at which is 1.6Ghz. but a lot people forget that the AMD processor can go 2Ghz. so Microsoft could have a different clock speed that sony.

The strongest machine has NEVER, EVER won their respective console generation and that won't change this time.

MS now also has more first parties than Sony, 22 versus 13 for Sony. Many, if not most of their newest studios were formed or bought during the current gen to make software for the upcoming generation. Though they have a lot to prove, I wouldn't count them out as a few of the smaller ones have already released great titles on the Xbox 360.

The PS4 is once again aiming to be the most expensive machine of the bunch and that will not work in Sony's favor once more as both the console and the controller will be far more expensive to make and very likely cost a lot more in R&D as well. A $100 price advantage (looking at the components) for MS will destroy Sony's sales, unless Sony is willing to take the loss in their present already very poor condition.

How is the ps4 aiming to be more expensive? It's hardware may be more powerful yes, but microsoft is countering the price increase from the hardware by packing everyones favorite limb flailing sensor in the box. Which will result in them being priced either the same, or very close to it.

Also thanks to your constant negativism against anything Microsoft ;)

Posting the facts about the hardware instead of posting all sorts of theories about a mythical "secret sauce" makes a person anti-microsoft?

Well, i guess that makes sense when you take into consideration that this is neowin we're on.

Well, i guess that makes sense when you take into consideration that this is neowin we're on.

this :yes:

How is the ps4 aiming to be more expensive? It's hardware may be more powerful yes, but microsoft is countering the price increase from the hardware by packing everyones favorite limb flailing sensor in the box. Which will result in them being priced either the same, or very close to it.

I think that's mostly concluded from the 8GB RAM in PS4. I don't know one way or the other.

To be honest, I'm sure you could count on one hand the number of first party dev's that come to your mind for Sony, as well as MS. Most developers are multiplatform now.

So you played MGS4, Uncharted 1,2 and 3, infamous 1&2, Killzone series, God of war, Little big planet 1&2, MAG, Heavy rain, Resistance series and Gran Turismo 5 then? (admittedly GT5 wasn't so great) But Sony put way more effort, time and money into making great games, We still have The last of us, GT6 and beyond two souls to come, Sony are treating us. What did Microsoft get? they gave us Halo (which I enjoyed) then lost Bungie and now they have what? Forza and Alan wake? That's the only two great exclusives I played on the Xbox, I can't even think of anything else, and Alan wake almost never happened at all. I really hope MS make more of an effort, I don't really care where I play my multiplatform games, unless the difference is significant, so why would I pick an Xbox with no exciting prospects? I really hope they Have some nice exclusives for the Xbox, I really do, I want great games to play.

So you played MGS4, Uncharted 1,2 and 3, infamous 1&2, Killzone series, God of war, Little big planet 1&2, MAG, Heavy rain, Resistance series and Gran Turismo 5 then? (admittedly GT5 wasn't so great) But Sony put way more effort, time and money into making great games, We still have The last of us, GT6 and beyond two souls to come, Sony are treating us. What did Microsoft get? they gave us Halo (which I enjoyed) then lost Bungie and now they have what? Forza and Alan wake? That's the only two great exclusives I played on the Xbox, I can't even think of anything else, and Alan wake almost never happened at all. I really hope MS make more of an effort, I don't really care where I play my multiplatform games, unless the difference is significant, so why would I pick an Xbox with no exciting prospects? I really hope they Have some nice exclusives for the Xbox, I really do, I want great games to play.

I quite enjoyed Fable, Left 4 Dead, PGR, Trials HD :p

But I agree, Sonys exclusives had the upper hand.

I really hope MS make more of an effort, I don't really care where I play my multiplatform games, unless the difference is significant, so why would I pick an Xbox with no exciting prospects? I really hope they Have some nice exclusives for the Xbox, I really do, I want great games to play.

Well they're spending over a billion dollars on exclusives, which I believe they have fifteen of as of right now. I would say they're trying to make an effort.

I quite enjoyed Fable, Left 4 Dead, PGR, Trials HD :p

But I agree, Sonys exclusives had the upper hand.

Fable was fun, but Peter Molyneux lied to us again, L4D, had it on the PC, same as Alan wake really, not pure exclusives, Sony were able to make games with insane scale, scale you'd never see on a PC game because they couldn't guarantee it would run on a plethora of systems.

Well they're spending over a billion dollars on exclusives, which I believe they have fifteen of as of right now. I would say they're trying to make an effort.

What? Dancey Dance dance with dancing fitness dancing fitness happy family fitness dancy buzz word buzz word whatever is popular in society at the moment dance? lol

I'm just joking, I'd love to see some new, great games aimed at hardcore gamers, games with integrity, story and attention to detail!

Something has been bothering me for a while now but I just couldn't find much answers to go by maybe someone here can help me look into it.

Microsoft quoted that they had 5billion transistors.....but it just doesn't add up:

32md of esRAM is 1.8billion transistors (roughly)

Amd's jaguar I put between 1.2 and 1.7billion (based on on the fact bulldozer has 1.2 transistor count)

1.8+1.7 = 3.5 so what's taking up the rest of the die? There's a whole 1.5billion transistors not counted for.

What is Microsoft hiding? I thought it weird that they would tout there transistor count without giving more details as if they were giving hints.

Something has been bothering me for a while now but I just couldn't find much answers to go by maybe someone here can help me look into it.

Microsoft quoted that they had 5billion transistors.....but it just doesn't add up:

32md of esRAM is 1.8billion transistors (roughly)

Amd's jaguar I put between 1.2 and 1.7billion (based on on the fact bulldozer has 1.2 transistor count)

1.8+1.7 = 3.5 so what's taking up the rest of the die? There's a whole 1.5billion transistors not counted for.

What is Microsoft hiding? I thought it weird that they would tout there transistor count without giving more details as if they were giving hints.

It should be obvious what you forgot from the equation.

The GPU.

Don't know how you could manage to forget it.

Isn't PS3 faster than xbawks 360?

Yes, somehow, magically, xbawks 360 has more games.

Seems like the case again.

I doubt that was "off the top of your head". But sure. I really could care less about exclusives and honestly I didn't like MGS4, Uncharted, God of War, MAG, Heavy Rain, Resistance or GT5 (horrible controls).

And don't forget that ME was originally a 360 exclusive. Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, Ace Combat 6, Crackdown, DOA4.

What is with the ridiculous amount of hate towards the new Xbox? I just don't understand the frenzy that's going on.