Xbox One won't include a headset. Use Kinect instead

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:51

Yeah, I do like the idea of being headset free. However I know the Mic on my current Kinect couldnt really hear me that well in terms of voice chat in game but I think they will struggle to get some of the features right. Might make balancing voice over game music/sound something that gets tweaked per game.

#32 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 23 May 2013 - 13:17

Because the Xbox one doesn't need you to wear an uncomfortable headset, the array kids can hear you just fine across the whole room.

Because every headset is uncomfortable?

Don't know how those PC gamers do it!

#33 joemailey

joemailey

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 13:38

Before I jumped back to Sony, I owned a xBox 360 for a while.

One of the best things about the 360, was the headset. Seemed everyone was online and hooked up. When I went back to Sony and got PS3.
It was one of the only things I missed. PS3 really lacked in that department, with no headset and hardly anyone speaking in game and that included mates too.

The 360, being bundled with a headset, kinda made it the going thing to have your headset connected and working. Just seemed like the natural way to use the 360. Leaving a headset out this time round seems a bit strange. I think the headset helped make the 360's online experience much much better than Sony's.

Strange decision to leave it out this time round.

#34 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 23 May 2013 - 15:07

One of the best things about the 360, was the headset. Seemed everyone was online and hooked up. When I went back to Sony and got PS3.
It was one of the only things I missed. PS3 really lacked in that department, with no headset and hardly anyone speaking in game and that included mates too.

The 360, being bundled with a headset, kinda made it the going thing to have your headset connected and working. Just seemed like the natural way to use the 360. Leaving a headset out this time round seems a bit strange. I think the headset helped make the 360's online experience much much better than Sony's.

I think most PS3 users have headsets, but they just choose not to really use them. That's how it is with me. I don't care to talk to people I don't really know. So if a friend isn't in the actual game, I normally don't use my mic. I think it really has to do with the type of audience each console really has. ( I know I'll get flak for saying this ) PS3 seems to have a more mature/older audience, where as xbox seems to have more teens and a younger base. I know there are mature and grown up people on each, and there are immature and young on each, but in general, one does seem to have more of one type. And when you reach a certain age it seems, you really don't care for talking to people you don't know while playing. You just want to play a little lol. ( I know certain games also tend to draw certain maturity and age groups more towards them as well, since both consoles with CoD have horrible player bases :p )

#35 Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 23 May 2013 - 15:34

I wonder if my Tritton Headset will work with the one.

#36 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 23 May 2013 - 15:39

I wonder if my Tritton Headset will work with the one.

as long as its digital audio (optical) you should be ok, only thing i remember reading was lack of analog audio

#37 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 23 May 2013 - 15:47

Because every headset is uncomfortable?

Don't know how those PC gamers do it!

I have a very comfortable G930 on my computer, I still prefer playing with proper surround sound without the headset on, better sound, better awareness, not headset.

When I play rainbow six and such I had to make up al kinds of reasons for not talking. I don't really care to.

#38 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 23 May 2013 - 15:48

I think it was a really bonehead move on Mircosoft's part to not include a headset and to rely on Kinect for voice chat. As others have said, including the headset with the 360 was one of the defining advantages that the Xbox had over the PS3, and now Microsoft shot themselves in the foot the same way Sony did 8 years ago.

Also, relying on Kinect for voice is incredibly stupid. There are many potential problems with Kinect commands interfering with regular chat, muting, etc. Not to mention that Kinects will most likely be near or literally on top of center channel speakers. How do they expect it to hear normal voice over that? One of the many reasons why having a Kinect be mandatory was a terrible idea.

#39 0sit0

0sit0

Live and let live

Posted 23 May 2013 - 16:01

well as long as we can use third party ones I'm fine with that. At the end of the day those headphones always broke and you had to get new ones anyway.

#40 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 23 May 2013 - 18:15

Is this actually confirmed? The transcript in OP goes both ways(Microsoft really needs to get their PR **** in line). I can't be bothered to watch the video but Major Nelson mentioned in the Yahoo news Q&A that they will have details about accessories at E3.

#41 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 23 May 2013 - 18:20

No doubt they will have an official headset "accessory". But it will most likely cost a retarded amount of money when it should be included by default just like the last time. The other scary thing about this is the logic they're using to conclude that the Kinect is an appropriate alternative. All of it is just comes across as a big middle finger to gamers.

#42 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 23 May 2013 - 18:22

Are there any wifi direct headsets? I'm thinking they could release something that uses that.

#43 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 23 May 2013 - 18:27

No doubt they will have an official headset "accessory". But it will most likely cost a retarded amount of money when it should be included by default just like the last time. The other scary thing about this is the logic they're using to conclude that the Kinect is an appropriate alternative. All of it is just comes across as a big middle finger to gamers.

How is the Kinect 2 an appropriate alternative ? have you tried it ?

#44 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 23 May 2013 - 18:31

Uh you mean Sony has been giving "gamers" a middle finger for all these years?

#45 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 23 May 2013 - 19:44

The other scary thing about this is the logic they're using to conclude that the Kinect is an appropriate alternative.

Since it is, that's perfectly ok then.