win8 win7 vista

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hilwein

hilwein

Neowinian

Posted 22 May 2013 - 22:35

hi all

need some valuable advise please i am in the process of upgrading my OS from Vista to either windows 7 or 8, but I don't know which one is the better one to upgrade to.

my current system is a: Manufacturer HP-Pavilion Model NQ807AA-ABU s3811uk Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM System type 32-bit operating system Number of processor cores 2 64-bit capable Yes

currently it is running on 32 bit but I also wanted to know if its worth upgrading it to a 64 bit instead. thoughts please. I am about to increase the RAM to 4GB which I know will speed up the computer as well.

Please help??

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 22 May 2013 - 22:49

At this stage of the game, you gotta go 64 bit. I can't really tell you to install 7 or 8, as that should be up to you to decide based on your needs, I would also look into boosting your RAM.

#3 OP hilwein

hilwein

Neowinian

Posted 23 May 2013 - 00:31

At this stage of the game, you gotta go 64 bit. I can't really tell you to install 7 or 8, as that should be up to you to decide based on your needs, I would also look into boosting your RAM.

ye that is my plan I think the max I can upgrade to is 4GB RAM. which I will. just need to think if its better to replace both RAM boards with 2 2GB one or just replace the 1GB with a 2 GB and leave the existing 2GB board already there.

also just wanted the pros and cons of boths OS's.

#4 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 23 May 2013 - 00:47

If you dislike change stick with 7, if you don't have attachment issues 8 is really good, not sure how well it runs on older hardware, but 7 ran pretty good on the older stuff

#5 vetMax™

Max™

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:04

Go for Windows 8 definitely. Then if you don't like the new Metro interface, install Start8 by Stardock. Windows 8 is faster on older hardware than 7 due to improvements within the OS.

#6 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:17

Go with windows 7. Does everything you need just as well as 8. Requires less customization (via means of third party apps), looks way nicer, and preforms just as well.

#7 Demz

Demz

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:45

go With Windows7 Dude. Windows8 is more or less designed for people with Touch Screens , an AFAIK Windows7 will go EOL in 2020

#8 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:51

While I'm pretty biased (I've been generally very pleased with the changes in 8), I'd suggest going with Windows 8, and approaching it with an open point of view. If you're on a desktop, invest the $5 or so in Start8/Classic Shell (free!)/Retro UI pro/etc. to get a better experience.

#9 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:04

also just wanted the pros and cons of boths OS's.

In that case, there's nothing really to it.

Windows 7 has the maturity that XP did, back in the day, and it's still supported by Microsoft. But, if you're looking to dive into something new, Windows 8 might be up your alley. It has the stability and the compatibility to run Windows 7 apps, and you'll get the benefit of the Windows app store.

#10 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:12

Windows 8 has all the things Windows 7 has and does all the same things as well. Either Windows 8 or 7 will be fine. Windows 8 is faster though and has some nice improvements like the new task manager. If you dont like the new Windows 8 interface, get Windows 7.

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 16:16

I personally think 7 is the bomb, and easily the best OS that Microsoft has ever made. I would use that myself.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!