Photo

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 May 2013 - 00:55

The Xbox One won't play Xbox 360 discs or XBLA games, and that doesn't really bother Microsoft Head of Interactive Entertainment Business Don Mattrick.

"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards," he told the Wall Street Journal.

Mattrick said only 5 percent of customers play games from previous generations on new consoles, so spending time to make that possible isn't worth it. Sony's PlayStation 4 isn't backward compatible from a hardware standpoint, but with cloud service Gaikai, it should offer a way to play games from the PS3 and older consoles.

It's been eight years since the previous generation transition, meaning players have had longer than ever to build up their libraries. That's a lot to lose – and even more so with the onset of downloadable games in the middle of this generation.

Source: WSJ, Joystick

#2 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 23 May 2013 - 00:59

Many people just don't want to pay extra for it, and I totally agree with them. If Sony's streaming capability actually works, that would indeed be awesome to see. No telling though.

Found this image rather funny, regarding backwards compatibility. :p

Posted Image

#3 OP Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:02

Many people just don't want to pay extra for it, and I totally agree with them. If Sony's streaming capability actually works, that would indeed be awesome to see. No telling though.

Found this image rather funny, regarding backwards compatibility. :p

Posted Image

Call of Duty?

lol

#4 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:04

is Don Mattrick = Neowin's Dot Matrix ?
i'm pretty sure 'they' share same believes, and somewhat similar 'name' too,

#5 OP Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:11

It's this guy

Attached Images

• 1369264345388.png

#6 mzta cody

mzta cody

Neowinian

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:14

That would be funny, there does seem to be a like-minded attitude- this rejection of anything not brand-spanking new with the dismissive overuse of the term "legacy" to describe a tried-and-true platform like Win32.
I suspect that this is not the guy, as Mattrick is 49 years of age. I think our DM is a young guy, afflicted with "anything new is better because it is new" chauvinism.

#7 OP Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:16

That would be funny, there does seem to be a like-minded attitude

I believe they call this "hive-mind"

#8 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:19

I'm not much of a gamer, and not a console gamer since the NES, so I'm wondering; What exactly makes backward compatibility of games so difficult in these consoles? Is it specially modified performance drivers used, or something hardcoded in the game's platform targeting?

It just doesn't seem like a smart move to not include backward compatibility, so there must be some sort of formidable and/or costly barrier, but I couldn't imagine what that would be.

#9 +RageOfFury

RageOfFury

AJ Lee/Alison Brie/JLH worshiper

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:21

I never played an Xbox game on my 360. However, I did play some PSOne and PS2 games on my PS3. Hmmm... :/

#10 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:27

Hey, just realized, this is the guy behind Accolade's Test Drive. Nice!

#11 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:34

I'm not much of a gamer, and not a console gamer since the NES, so I'm wondering; What exactly makes backward compatibility of games so difficult in these consoles? Is it specially modified performance drivers used, or something hardcoded in the game's platform targeting?

It just doesn't seem like a smart move to not include backward compatibility, so there must be some sort of formidable and/or costly barrier, but I couldn't imagine what that would be.

for the PS4 it's because it's a different architecture than the PS3. but MS has no excuse as both the 360 and the One are running on x86 hardware with a stripped version of the windows kernel

#12 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:38

for the PS4 it's because it's a different architecture than the PS3. but MS has no excuse as both the 360 and the One are running on x86 hardware with a stripped version of the windows kernel

No. Xbox 360 runs IBM Xenon, a not-so-distant relative to PS3's IBM Cell, both being PowerPC RISC.
No, Xbox 360 doesn't sport NT kernel, either.

#13 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:42

No. Xbox 360 runs IBM Xenon, a not-so-distant relative to PS3's IBM Cell, both being PowerPC RISC.
No, Xbox 360 doesn't sport NT kernel, either.

i was just telling what i was told so I guess i was told wrong as well. thanks for the correction

#14 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:45

The Xbox One would be a killer console if it had Microsoft Office on it and many things from Windows 8 integrated in it (even the desktop).

#15 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:50

The Xbox One would be a killer console if it had Microsoft Office on it and many things from Windows 8 integrated in it (even the desktop).

You're right, it's been my dream for years to do Excel spreadsheets on a game console. Those controllers are awesome for data entry.
O.o

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!