14 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 20:07

Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition and Collector's Edition announced
by John Callaham

Rockstar Games is still several months away from its launch of Grant Theft Auto V but today the publisher announced plans to offer fans two extra editions of the open world action game, each with exclusive real and in-game content.

Rockstar's website shows that the Special Edition of GTA V will cost $79.99. For that amount of money you get the game inside a SteelCase and a physical blueprint map of the game's locale of Los Santos and Blaine County. It also has several in-game exclusives, including extra single player Stunt Plane Trials, three extra weapons, some exclusive clothes and tattoos for the game's characters and a boost that increases the special ability bar on the characters by 25 percent.

The Collector's Edition of GTA V has all of the content in the Special Edition, plus two more physical items: a money bag with key and a snapback cap. There are even more in-game exclusives, such as access to classic Grand Theft Auto characters in the game's online modes and a garage that includes two new vehicles in the single player game and yet another new car for multiplayer. It will cost $149.99.

People who pre-order any of the versions of GTA V between now and its September 17th launch date for the PS3 and Xbox 360 will get quick access to the in-game Atomic Blimp vehicle.

Source: Rockstar Games | Image via Rockstar Games

#2 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,462 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 20:08

Looks like I'm going to miss out on this, guess I'll be picking it up 6+ months later unless they do next gen.

#3 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• 2,273 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 20:44

And A Blimp !

#4 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 20:54

I'll wait for the PS4 version

#5 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,422 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 21:07

Meh, I'm going to wait for the Super Duper directors cut platinum game of the year collectors edition.

#6 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,907 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 23 May 2013 - 21:11

in true GTA fashion, ill just jack a car, run over some people, smash into a store, steal the game and drive home!

#7 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 21:16

Actual stuff like that silly cap and rather awesome other swag - go ahead, that's awesome. Hate this exclusive collector director's wonka-wonka special crap for in-game stuff. Anyway, if (when) it comes to PC, good luck hiding from modders those "exclusive" things you have there in game files.

#8 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 22:02

I'm getting very tired with these business practices of removing things from a game to give it to people who buy the Special Collectors Directors Unrated Edition XL Platinum Gold Silver Ultimate Ultra. The physical items sure, that's fine.. but don't give them a more full featured game (even if by a little bit).

So, I get less game because I pay the normal amount for it? Why wouldn't they want everyone to have the full game?

#9 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,725 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 23:29

No PC Edition? No purchase.

#10 Lyric

Lyric

Neowinian

• 912 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 23:46

No PC Edition? No purchase.

I'm hoping they come out with a PC edition, this will definitely make me want to build a new computer for it.

#11 HighwayGlider

HighwayGlider

Neowinian Senior

• 1,821 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:58

Or wait for 2-3 years and buy it $8-$9 from steam during sales.

#12 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,180 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03

Or wait for 2-3 years and buy it $8-$9 from steam during sales.

In two-three years, the entire GTA collection (GTA V included) going to be on Steam for 8-9 bucks. Games go on sale after release, way faster than they did before.

#13 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,713 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 22:11

I'm getting very tired with these business practices of removing things from a game to give it to people who buy the Special Collectors Directors Unrated Edition XL Platinum Gold Silver Ultimate Ultra. The physical items sure, that's fine.. but don't give them a more full featured game (even if by a little bit).

So, I get less game because I pay the normal amount for it? Why wouldn't they want everyone to have the full game?

I kind of feel people need to get over this idea that all content made prior to release is content that should be in the main game.

Folks, should instead focus solely on whether the value of the content they are getting in the game is worth it, not the little trinkets of content that are not included or "removed". It's largely irrelevant.

Games are a product of their industry, there is no alternative where this game is made & released with all this content in the standard edition.

#14 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 21:51

I kind of feel people need to get over this idea that all content made prior to release is content that should be in the main game.

Folks, should instead focus solely on whether the value of the content they are getting in the game is worth it, not the little trinkets of content that are not included or "removed". It's largely irrelevant.

Games are a product of their industry, there is no alternative where this game is made & released with all this content in the standard edition.

You're the reason 0day DLC exists. They are relying on the fact that it'll become a tired argument so they can do it freely and people will accept it. I don't accept it, I won't accept it, I will never accept it. It's the cancer of the gaming industry and it shows other industries you can get away with basically anything.

People need to make a stand against people like you, who not only eventually come to accept it, but belittle the people opposing it. This continues until all opposition is removed and the content provider gets its way. Well, have fun with your 0day DLC, $500 worth of post-release DLC, Always-on "DRM", and the rest of the crap they keep shoving down peoples throats.... Why? Because people will take it... and then they'll ask for more...

And what does this ultimately say about consumers? Well, the best selling games right now are also the worst reviewed... This is what consumers are. Morons.

I was so excited about GTAV, and I still am, but this has got to stop, and the sad thing about it is I know it won't. I know there is nothing I can do about it but rant here, be forgotten and this crap continues.

#15 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,713 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 15:47

You're the reason 0day DLC exists. They are relying on the fact that it'll become a tired argument so they can do it freely and people will accept it. I don't accept it, I won't accept it, I will never accept it. It's the cancer of the gaming industry and it shows other industries you can get away with basically anything.

People need to make a stand against people like you, who not only eventually come to accept it, but belittle the people opposing it. This continues until all opposition is removed and the content provider gets its way. Well, have fun with your 0day DLC, $500 worth of post-release DLC, Always-on "DRM", and the rest of the crap they keep shoving down peoples throats.... Why? Because people will take it... and then they'll ask for more...

And what does this ultimately say about consumers? Well, the best selling games right now are also the worst reviewed... This is what consumers are. Morons.

I was so excited about GTAV, and I still am, but this has got to stop, and the sad thing about it is I know it won't. I know there is nothing I can do about it but rant here, be forgotten and this crap continues.

I am not, for one second, saying I like the practice, but you are unnecessarily making it into a huge drama. Calling it "the cancer of the gaming industry", is ridiculous & over dramatic.

You don't seem to have taken on board a single thing I said. Perhaps I didn't speak to my point very well, let me reiterate:

The value of the main game should be interpreted by the amount & quality of content you are getting for the price &, of course, ones own eagerness to play said game.

There is little point in automatically getting worked up over, the often, irrelevant little pieces of content that are being sold or bundled separately to the base game. It's not relevant to the price of the base game, nor is it relevant when they were made.

Again what's relevant is what you are getting in the base game you are buying. If you are not getting what you feel is fair for the price, or what you expect in terms of content, then don't buy it full price.

For example: "Metro Last Light" cut the "Ranger Mode" difficulty from the game to use as pre-order DLC. Which is a pretty cheap move. But does this change the value? It depends on how you expected to play the game. I don't actually have much interest in the game itself, but if I did, the lack of "Ranger Mode" wouldn't matter to me, as I rarely ever play on high end difficulties.

You also say how "the consumer is a moron". I find that incredibly shortsighted at best. Plenty of people buy games that have been negatively received by critics & enjoy them. Who are you to tell them otherwise, let alone call them morons. You can't dictate how people value certain entertainment.

Also as per you're assertion that I am the reason "day 0 DLC" exists: Nonsense. I rarely ever buy DLC. I pre-order maybe one game year, if that. And I don't do it for the in game bits. I wait for most games to drop in price or just buy 'em second hand.