Question

Posted

I just did it to mine for the first time in three years.. It was disgusting in there. i chipped one of my keys getting it off.. luckily it was just the button with the pipe symbol.

46 answers to this question

Posted

I just do whenever I feel its time to clean, every month or two month ...

Posted

Probably once or twice a year.

Then again, I don't eat in front of the computer and always use my machines with clean hands, so they don't get grubby.

I've found whiteboard cleaner (acetone based) to work best for removing grub.

Posted

[quote name='68k' timestamp='1369380437' post='595710592']
Probably once or twice a year.

Then again, I don't eat in front of the computer and always use my machines with clean hands, so they don't get grubby.

I've found whiteboard cleaner (acetone based) to work best for removing grub.
[/quote]

I used q-tips and hydrogen peroxide.

Posted

Maybe once or twice a year, and I use furniture polish and a rag...

Posted

I clean mine in the bath.

Posted

At least once a month, but I aim for once a week. I have the habit of eating and using my keyboard :)

Posted

[quote name='watkinsx2' timestamp='1369383288' post='595710642']
I clean mine in the bath.
[/quote]Same. I have 2 keyboards that I rotate and clean them in the bath with a toilet brush I have for the purpose. They only take a few days to dry fully :)

Posted

once every couple of years, I thoroughly clean my keyboard, actually I've done it twice, I think next time i'll just get a new keyboard, most likely a mechanical one where it's easy to clean.I currently have a Logitech G15 keyboard.

Posted

I just buy new one when it gets too dirty to my liking.

Posted

I dont really clean it :p Its a chiclet laptop, so I think it doesnt get as dirty as old-style desktop keyboards :cool:

Posted

I use my DataVac on my keyboard every other day. I live in Southern California and it gets pretty dusty very quickly when you leave windows open.

Posted

Clean keyboards? What is this trickery?

Posted

[quote name='DonC' timestamp='1369386645' post='595710724']
Clean keyboards? What is this trickery?
[/quote]
Try using chiclet keyboards (iMac, Macbook, Most new lappys) No more worrying about dirt.

Posted

I cleans mine with water & bath-soap,
but somehow the top part of the caps wrinkles like raisins!
some low quality plastics there ...
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='seta-san' timestamp='1369379953' post='595710588']
luckily it was just the button with the pipe symbol.
[/quote]

[i]Luckily[/i] you don't code.

I clean my keyboard approximately 0 times per year.

Edit: Not that having a chip in it affects coding, I was just referring to how unattached you were to the logical OR operator.

Posted

I forgot to add that I give my keyboard (and all other parts like heatsinks and fans) a treatment with the air compressor about once a year. Even though my PC is about four years old, it still looks pretty new inside and out.

Posted

Probably every 3-4 months.

Posted

Throw it in the washer once a month.

Posted

Vacuum cleaner every couple of weeks, takes 5 seconds. I never use any detergents.

Posted

I'm a disgusting pig, I eat and drink. Always wash my hands, though. For all these years I have disassembled it a few times and just washed under the shower of reasonable water pressure. Awesome thing, old UltraX, they don't make them like that anymore... at least not for that kind of monies. Other than that, with dust wipes when I feel like it. Same goes for the rat.

Posted

Usually every couple of months, no set schedule, usually just whenever it seems to need it.. not too often as I don't smoke anymore, keep a neat desk, etc. A quick blast under the keys from a can of compressed air every once in a while really helps, maybe the occasional wipedown with Windex or whatever.

Posted

Cleaning your keyboard, whats that?

Posted

What is this about washing your keyboards in the bath? Or in the washer? Is this safe enough for, say, a Logitech G15? Something that has more to it than a basic keyboard?

Posted

I usually take my keyboard apart fully every couple of months and clean it out. With all the people who use my computer and have a tendency to eat at it, cleaning it is a must.

Posted

[quote name='Xenosion' timestamp='1369423640' post='595712006']What is this about washing your keyboards in the bath? Or in the washer? Is this safe enough for, say, a Logitech G15? Something that has more to it than a basic keyboard?[/quote]
Used to have one of those. (Still got the LCD part, cannibalized it after the keyboard itself got replaced with a better one) I certainly wouldn't stick it in a washer... I took it apart a few times down to the guts level, it's not too bad but there's a fair number of tiny little screws to keep track off, be careful of the wiring, etc. Cleaning off that rubber membrane definitely helps a lot, used to get some bad keybounce or sticky keys when it got dirty.. not the best built keyboard in the world personally. Obviously be prepared to deal with the consequences if you decide to take it apart and something goes wrong.