How often do you guys clean out your keyboards

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 The Gamer

The Gamer

Forerunner

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:23

luckily it was just the button with the pipe symbol.

Luckily you don't code.

I clean my keyboard approximately 0 times per year.

Edit: Not that having a chip in it affects coding, I was just referring to how unattached you were to the logical OR operator.

#17 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:29

I forgot to add that I give my keyboard (and all other parts like heatsinks and fans) a treatment with the air compressor about once a year. Even though my PC is about four years old, it still looks pretty new inside and out.

#18 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 24 May 2013 - 14:17

Probably every 3-4 months.

#19 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 24 May 2013 - 14:19

Throw it in the washer once a month.

#20 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 24 May 2013 - 19:03

Vacuum cleaner every couple of weeks, takes 5 seconds. I never use any detergents.

#21 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 24 May 2013 - 19:16

I'm a disgusting pig, I eat and drink. Always wash my hands, though. For all these years I have disassembled it a few times and just washed under the shower of reasonable water pressure. Awesome thing, old UltraX, they don't make them like that anymore... at least not for that kind of monies. Other than that, with dust wipes when I feel like it. Same goes for the rat.

#22 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 18
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 19:22

Usually every couple of months, no set schedule, usually just whenever it seems to need it.. not too often as I don't smoke anymore, keep a neat desk, etc. A quick blast under the keys from a can of compressed air every once in a while really helps, maybe the occasional wipedown with Windex or whatever.

#23 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 May 2013 - 19:24

Cleaning your keyboard, whats that?

#24 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 May 2013 - 19:27

What is this about washing your keyboards in the bath? Or in the washer? Is this safe enough for, say, a Logitech G15? Something that has more to it than a basic keyboard?

#25 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 19:30

I usually take my keyboard apart fully every couple of months and clean it out. With all the people who use my computer and have a tendency to eat at it, cleaning it is a must.

#26 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 18
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 19:39

What is this about washing your keyboards in the bath? Or in the washer? Is this safe enough for, say, a Logitech G15? Something that has more to it than a basic keyboard?

Used to have one of those. (Still got the LCD part, cannibalized it after the keyboard itself got replaced with a better one) I certainly wouldn't stick it in a washer... I took it apart a few times down to the guts level, it's not too bad but there's a fair number of tiny little screws to keep track off, be careful of the wiring, etc. Cleaning off that rubber membrane definitely helps a lot, used to get some bad keybounce or sticky keys when it got dirty.. not the best built keyboard in the world personally. Obviously be prepared to deal with the consequences if you decide to take it apart and something goes wrong.

#27 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 24 May 2013 - 19:52

Water as such can't harm anything, but it does contain a great amount of contaminants that will be corrosive and leave harmful stuff that may cause a short-circuit after drying. I've washed DC fans, heatsinks, addon cards and wiring because I'm crazy like that, but I definitely wouldn't risk it with something valuable or not very easy to replace.

#28 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

Posted 24 May 2013 - 20:05

About 3 - 4 months, whenever it starts to get visibly filthy on the surface.

#29 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 May 2013 - 20:12

Water as such can't harm anything, but it does contain a great amount of contaminants that will be corrosive and leave harmful stuff that may cause a short-circuit after drying. I've washed DC fans, heatsinks, addon cards and wiring because I'm crazy like that, but I definitely wouldn't risk it with something valuable or not very easy to replace.

Right, basically it's risky which is what has me raising questions about "washing" a keyboard.

#30 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 24 May 2013 - 20:21

I've taken the keys off and threw them in the silverware section, took out the membrane, then ran the body through the dishwasher, bottom rack seemed fine.. If you use powdered soap you can just leave the membrane in there. not so much with liquid soap for some reason. shut off drying cycle and pull when its done. Just ensure you bake it afterwards to dry it out. I have recovered dead disk drives using this method too. I just set the drives by the fire for 5 days afterwards instead of baking and got them to boot long enough to pull their data... Drying them quicker you reduce the risk of corrosion, which is why I think those drives only lasted for one last data pull (which is all anyone wanted with them anyway after they've already failed) You always run the risk of contaminants but generally most peoples water is pretty damn clean. You can do a soak after the dishwasher if you're really concerned in some distilled water.