How often do you guys clean out your keyboards

What is this about washing your keyboards in the bath? Or in the washer? Is this safe enough for, say, a Logitech G15? Something that has more to it than a basic keyboard?

Used to have one of those. (Still got the LCD part, cannibalized it after the keyboard itself got replaced with a better one) I certainly wouldn't stick it in a washer... I took it apart a few times down to the guts level, it's not too bad but there's a fair number of tiny little screws to keep track off, be careful of the wiring, etc. Cleaning off that rubber membrane definitely helps a lot, used to get some bad keybounce or sticky keys when it got dirty.. not the best built keyboard in the world personally. Obviously be prepared to deal with the consequences if you decide to take it apart and something goes wrong.

What is this about washing your keyboards in the bath? Or in the washer? Is this safe enough for, say, a Logitech G15? Something that has more to it than a basic keyboard?

Water as such can't harm anything, but it does contain a great amount of contaminants that will be corrosive and leave harmful stuff that may cause a short-circuit after drying. I've washed DC fans, heatsinks, addon cards and wiring because I'm crazy like that, but I definitely wouldn't risk it with something valuable or not very easy to replace.

Water as such can't harm anything, but it does contain a great amount of contaminants that will be corrosive and leave harmful stuff that may cause a short-circuit after drying. I've washed DC fans, heatsinks, addon cards and wiring because I'm crazy like that, but I definitely wouldn't risk it with something valuable or not very easy to replace.

Right, basically it's risky which is what has me raising questions about "washing" a keyboard.

I've taken the keys off and threw them in the silverware section, took out the membrane, then ran the body through the dishwasher, bottom rack seemed fine.. If you use powdered soap you can just leave the membrane in there. not so much with liquid soap for some reason. shut off drying cycle and pull when its done. Just ensure you bake it afterwards to dry it out. I have recovered dead disk drives using this method too. I just set the drives by the fire for 5 days afterwards instead of baking and got them to boot long enough to pull their data... Drying them quicker you reduce the risk of corrosion, which is why I think those drives only lasted for one last data pull (which is all anyone wanted with them anyway after they've already failed) You always run the risk of contaminants but generally most peoples water is pretty damn clean. You can do a soak after the dishwasher if you're really concerned in some distilled water.

I have recovered dead disk drives using this method too.

That's awesome (genuine, not my usual mockery)! Perhaps some more info on that... e.g., for what kind of dead it works and such? :o

My keyboard is about 6 years old and has never been cleaned. It is ****ing filthy

Luckily you don't code.

I clean my keyboard approximately 0 times per year.

Edit: Not that having a chip in it affects coding, I was just referring to how unattached you were to the logical OR operator.

I rarely use the pipe when I code and besides, it was only chipped.

I just realized that the only time I clean my keyboard is to wipe something off the surface of the keys. The underside must be extremely dirty. And you know what? I don't care. It'll be clean when I get a new keyboard.

QoUexov.png

That's awesome (genuine, not my usual mockery)! Perhaps some more info on that... e.g., for what kind of dead it works and such? :o

I presume they had IC problems over mechanical issues. The hot water and soap apparently will get the solder into the plasticity range enough to fix any cold joints, as well as clean it up... It was a 4GB IDE drive and a 2GB IDE drive about 15? years ago when 20GB were coming around... I remember the 20GB was the replacement. I can't remember the exact problem, I think one just never spun up and the other could have possibly been ticking. I am not bull****ting on this either - the drives were not detectable/readable, after a wash and dry I pulled the data from both mostly in-tact (think a few files were corrupt) This was my last resort. Worked.

Clean keyboards? What is this trickery?

No doubt?!

I just buy new one when it gets too dirty to my liking.

Same here. Have NEVER cleaned a keyboard in my life, except to simply wipe dust off it on the exterior. Couple keyboards are at least 10 years old here.

I do not eat around computers either.

What is this "pipe symbol" you speak of?

Was wondering about that one also?

What is this "pipe symbol" you speak of?

? = square pipe.

? = curved pipe

? = double pipe

| = straight pipe

? = elbow pipe

~ = wiggles pipe

Interestingly, with my UK keyboard layout with a 'uk' keyboard, the ? key and | are labelled the wrong way round. :)

hope that helps you guys with the pipes

I've had this keyboard for..ooh 7 years (?), never popped the keys off to clean. I flip it over, give it some shakes and wraps on the bottom and vacuum up whatever falls out. If the keys themselves are dingy, I'll take a bottle of rubbing alcohol, q-tips and do a good scrub down of all nooks and crannies.