78 posts in this topic

Not sure how the kid "scolded" the CEO by asking a question in a Q and A session. It is good the kid realizes the value of healthy eating but god damn it when I want a burger, I will go to MacDonalds and get one. I know its not "healthy" but there are just some days you just feel for certain food items..

I hate when people attack a business like this,if you don't want your child to eat it then don't let them,Mcdonalds is not forcing you to buy their product.

This is very true about almost every business especially tobacco...

Be it the childs view or the parents it doesnt make it any less valid a point and as for dont eat the product, much like any multinational they spend litteraly millions every year coaxing people to buy their product over others.Again much like any multinational food provider they will introduce a "green" or a "low calorie" or a "healthy" alternative but only because of peer pressure not through direct choice and again it provides a good company image for when the press or a ten year old girl, has you backed in the corner during live meetings.

But what assurances or 'promises' that the "green" or "low cal" is any better? Diet sodas are just as bad if not worse for you then the real deal. A salad is healthy, but when you add the dressing to it you suddenly introduce more fat and calories, etc. Just because it is labeled good for you, does not mean it truly is...

...How in the hell do they "trick" children into eating McDonalds? Further, other than kids totally ignorant on the subject, who considers it to be healthy food?

Trick them its quite easy

1: Have an appealing cartoon or animated character which the child can connect to

2: Increase the appeal by having lavish colourful and inviting advertising

3: Have a high fat/sugar content to make it highly palatable i.e. sugar rush

4: Add colourant to the food to overcome the natural blandness

5: Works on adults too :p

Let me be clear lady, ideally Id have children make the food decisions but Mc Doanlds MUST answer for its profit making targeted to children. It is odd one should say that since I am a Communitarian. Deal with the fact that people need regulation in their lives.

Um no. These kids don't have their own bank account and a car to drive to Mcdonalds and buy food...it's not like they see the advertisement and go damn I could really use a big mac right now, I think I'm going to go get one by myself.

The real problem is the parents who just can't say no to their ****ing kids. I grew up with a McDonalds literally 5mins from my house (walking distance) but it's not like I ate there 10 times a week. Why? Because my parents knew how to say no and took me and my brother there like at most once a month as a treat.

Really isn't that hard but nowadays nobody wants to take responsibility for their own ****ing kids. It's oh my kid is fat, let me blame some corporations for it. Or oh my kid has crap grades, it's the teachers fault. No my kid isn't a bully, he's a little angel there's no way my kid could have done that.

THAT is the real problem, parents that have no idea how to be ****ing parents.

1 person likes this

Um no. These kids don't have their own bank account and a car to drive to Mcdonalds and buy food...it's not like they see the advertisement and go damn I could really use a big mac right now, I think I'm going to go get one by myself.

The real problem is the parents who just can't say no to their ****ing kids. I grew up with a McDonalds literally 5mins from my house (walking distance) but it's not like I ate their 10 times a week. Why? Because my parents knew how to say no and took me and my brother there like at most once a month as a treat.

Really isn't that hard but nowadays nobody wants to take responsibility for their own ****ing kids. It's oh my kid is fat, let me blame some corporations for it. Or oh my kid has crap grades, it's the teachers fault. No my kid isn't a bully, he's a little angel there's no way my kid could have done that.

no. the real problem is that women aren't in the home. With both parents working, or the one if it's a single parent household, both parents are too exhasted from their day at work putting up with **** to take time to plan meals and make them at home. They are too tired to even bother with tv dinners. The balance of societies health and wealth balanced on the fact that women were overwhelmingly stay-at-home moms.

no. the real problem is that women aren't in the home. With both parents working, or the one if it's a single parent household, both parents are too exhasted from their day at work putting up with **** to take time to plan meals and make them at home. They are too tired to even bother with tv dinners. The balance of societies health and wealth balanced on the fact that women were overwhelmingly stay-at-home moms.

bull****. There are tons of families, mine included, where both parents work. Not all of them eat at McDonalds 24/7. If you're genuinely too tired almost every supermarket in the US has a deli / pre-cooked meal selection now. Pick up on your way home from work and voila dinner is already ready. The only effort you have to put in is the 5mins it takes to pick up the food. In some cases it may be slightly more expensive than like McDonalds but at least it's healthier.

bull****. There are tons of families, mine included, where both parents work. Not all of them eat at McDonalds 24/7. If you're genuinely too tired almost every supermarket in the US has a deli / pre-cooked meal selection now. Pick up on your way home from work and voila dinner is already ready. The only effort you have to put in is the 5mins it takes to pick up the food. In some cases it may be slightly more expensive than like McDonalds but at least it's healthier.

now imagine you're too poor for nice deli sandwiches. i'm just saying. you would have a nice pretty graph showing fast food consuption and women in the work force over time and i'm willing to bet those lines match up fairly well.

now imagine you're too poor for nice deli sandwiches. i'm just saying. you would have a nice pretty graph showing fast food consuption and women in the work force over time and i'm willing to bet those lines match up fairly well.

A deli sandwich at fred meyer (aka Kroger) around here costs like $4.50. Pretty sure McDonalds would run you about the same too.

If you're too poor for deli sandwiches (they also sell full meals not just sandwiches btw) and you're too tired after work then maybe you shouldn't have kids?

If you aren't capable of properly taking care of your kids (time, money, effort etc) then don't have them or wait till you're in a better position.

This article is about kids being forced to eat fast food because of advertisements ;) That's what I think is bull****. The advertisements aren't forcing kids to eat at McDonalds, sure it may make them whine for it but that doesn't mean the parents have to constantly give in...

1 person likes this

The kids watch TV (because parents don't want to babysit), and after they see McDonald's ads, they pester the parents to go buy them food -- and many parents don't have the will power to say NO.

No one is forced -- they are led into temptation.

everytime, I see mcdonalds on tv or internet, so I go to there, and buy toys without foods.

here is a video called Pucca and I can understand that they are making fun of American fast foods. Asian foods are more healthy than american foods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P29Y9asFpfs

The real problem is the parents who just can't say no to their ****ing kids. I grew up with a McDonalds literally 5mins from my house (walking distance) but it's not like I ate there 10 times a week. Why? Because my parents knew how to say no and took me and my brother there like at most once a month as a treat.

Ill give you that why I suggest parental freedom needs limits these days.

I find that sexist, since I discovered you are male last night (what's with the sailor moon women GF?) are you suggesting that a man couldn't stay at home and do all them things? Weather or not two working parents equates to fast food (it doesn't its call laziness) is another issue. Your 1: Very Anti male 2: Very old fashioned. id be happy to be a stay at home dad or have both of us work its not the women's role to be a house wife.

This.

So your answer is what ban women from working? How about we make a law for healthy fast food.

But the unhealthy stuff tastes best!

How about these so called parents get some senses and stop letting their kids eat whatever **** they want instead of bitching around...

The kids watch TV (because parents don't want to babysit), and after they see McDonald's ads, they pester the parents to go buy them food -- and many parents don't have the will power to say NO.

No one is forced -- they are led into temptation.

If they cant control their kids if they watch TV, then don't buy TV.

If they don't have the willpower to control their kids, then don't have kids.

Ill give you that why I suggest parental freedom needs limits these days.

I find that sexist, since I discovered you are male last night (what's with the sailor moon women GF?) are you suggesting that a man couldn't stay at home and do all them things? Weather or not two working parents equates to fast food (it doesn't its call laziness) is another issue. Your 1: Very Anti male 2: Very old fashioned. id be happy to be a stay at home dad or have both of us work its not the women's role to be a house wife.

This.

So your answer is what ban women from working? How about we make a law for healthy fast food.

women entering the workforce has been the single greatest social change society has seen. you don't find it strange that it corrolates with the fact that our kids are going to ****. They've been getting fatter, they've been getting dumber, they've been losing social skills, they've been becoming more and more violent. Incarceration is skyrocketing. I don't expect that you agree with my assessment of the situation but i do find it strange that all these negatives have been going up since the '70s.

If their food is bad, don't eat it. Very simple really. These guys aren't forcing anyone to eat their food with their ads nor are they the only company advertising their product either. Some people can't stand their wealth and popularity so they cry about it. There's nothing more despicable than a person blaming something else for his/her own mistakes. If their food made anyone fat it's his/her fault.

1 person likes this

women entering the workforce has been the single greatest social change society has seen. you don't find it strange that it corrolates with the fact that our kids are going to ****. They've been getting fatter, they've been getting dumber, they've been losing social skills, they've been becoming more and more violent. Incarceration is skyrocketing. I don't expect that you agree with my assessment of the situation but i do find it strange that all these negatives have been going up since the '70s.

To blame everything on women is pretty shortsighted and sexist. For incarceration numbers it would be better to look up what people are in prison for. On the large part it's because of our insane stance on drugs. For the upward trend on violence, I would disagree. We often look at the past with rose-tinted glasses and only remember the good things. Little Rock wasn't all that long ago. People were openly murdered and beaten due to the color of their skin and their gender for "over stepping" their cultural roles.

As for childhood obesity and poor social skills I think we should look at the state of parenting in this country and why. People are extremely overworked and underpaid to put enough of an effort at home on not only their health but the health of their children.

To blame everything on women is pretty shortsighted and sexist. For incarceration numbers it would be better to look up what people are in prison for. On the large part it's because of our insane stance on drugs. For the upward trend on violence, I would disagree. We often look at the past with rose-tinted glasses and only remember the good things. Little Rock wasn't all that long ago. People were openly murdered and beaten due to the color of their skin and their gender for "over stepping" their cultural roles.

As for childhood obesity and poor social skills I think we should look at the state of parenting in this country and why. People are extremely overworked and underpaid to put enough of an effort at home on not only their health but the health of their children.

He isn't blaming it on women, its mainly men who wanted women to join the workforce.

He is blaming it on the fact that children are now grown up more on their own then by their parents, because both work.

This isn't just in the US, this trend is the same in Europe, our problems are rising and kids are being raised by TV, school, surroundings etc. and not by their parents. And this influences it drastically. Its not a good direction we're going to imo.

Beaten to death for skincolor, or stabbed in the heart for your ipod....

Centuries of world view VS a 30bucks device.

actually if you control for people raised in single parent households.. the differene in incarceration rates between blacks and whites in america mostly disappear. it's the single biggest predicter if someone is going to spend time in prison in their lifetime.

i say...eat what you want to eat and live and let be.

1 person likes this

actually if you control for people raised in single parent households.. the differene in incarceration rates between blacks and whites in america mostly disappear. it's the single biggest predicter if someone is going to spend time in prison in their lifetime.

If that's the case, it sounds like a huge opportunity to improve society by investing more towards single parent homes. Tax breaks to help put food on the table and perhaps more funding towards after school programs so their children would be better intellectually stimulated and have improved social skills. Of course it wouldn't be strictly limited to single parent homes but we could make the child's attendance and participation a requirement for the tax breaks and perhaps food stamps.

If their food is bad, don't eat it. Very simple really. These guys aren't forcing anyone to eat their food with their ads nor are they the only company advertising their product either. Some people can't stand their wealth and popularity so they cry about it. There's nothing more despicable than a person blaming something else for his/her own mistakes. If their food made anyone fat it's his/her fault.

i say...eat what you want to eat and live and let be.

Such wisdom on Neowin :happy:

If that's the case, it sounds like a huge opportunity to improve society by investing more towards single parent homes. Tax breaks to help put food on the table and perhaps more funding towards after school programs so their children would be better intellectually stimulated and have improved social skills. Of course it wouldn't be strictly limited to single parent homes but we could make the child's attendance and participation a requirement for the tax breaks and perhaps food stamps.

you see, this is what republicans talk about rewarding failure. Singleparent households are failed and broken households. You don't reward failure with more money. The only thing you throw at them is birth control and hope they don't have any more damned kids.

People eat junk food because they want to. If they wanted to eat healthy, they would. I'm healthy and I like to eat a burger once or twice a month (from BK, because whoppers are nice). Using your child in an attempt to make the CEO of McDonald's feel guilty is sad. And it's a waste of time too. There's money to be made in the fast food industry and the words of a single 9-year-old girl won't change a thing.

People often eat junk food as that is all they can afford. If the junk food was taxed heavily and the good stuff in the junk food price range then there would be no issue. You eat healthy as you can afford it. The average person doesn't have the money to eat healthy.

Agreed. I am increasingly intolerant of parents that use their children as pawns... That should be the story here. lol

I agree. The parent needs to set the example.