Website thinks killing used games is a good thing

It is still a problem because Microsoft will charge the seller ?35, there is no room to sell the game at a lesser price.

Why do people keep comparing Steam to consoles, when you buy a PC game thesedays it is usually tied to some service such as Origin, Uplay or Steam, when you buy a console game it's not tied to anything, you can put the disk in and play.

I know you can't rent PC games which is why I'm saying its a flawed comparison, I have been able to rent console games since the 90's now all of a sudden i can't because of some arbitrary paywall for used/rental games. Microsoft and publishers already got their cut when the game sold new why do they deserve a second, third, fourth or even fifth cut of subsequent sales.

As for your "it's good for developers" do you REALLY think they will get a meaningful amount of this fee, no most of it will go to Microsoft and Publishers, developers will get a fraction of the amount just like the pennies they get when the game sells new.

It's doing nothing but lining the pockets of the big boys, it doesn't benefit the developer one iota.

We don't know if they are going to stop rentals, that is your opinion. We don't have those facts yet but you assume a lot.

Assumption in this case is a bad thing because it can lead you to make huge mistakes.

Lining the pockets of the big boys is a great thing, it allows the publishers to keep those developers in business.

Maybe you don't understand how to run a business but I would rather have money for a business

to create product than have nothing and go out of business.

It seems like you are wasting a lot of energy trying to defend the PS4 for gaming. Just looking at your signature and how hard you are pushing for Sony, hmmmm are you sure you are not getting paid for it?

When information about the games come out at E3 and the information about the process that Microsoft is putting together on used and rented games, most people that were crying about it will finally wise up and realize how stupid they were for acting like cry babies.

One thing that I noticed about people on the Internet is that they often take sides and overreact over nothing.

That is what this is, you are overreacting either on purpose to push a brand or you really are naive about the process.

I personally don't care about your scare tactics, propaganda, and ignorance, but after E3, its going to be you holding the bag.

10 people can watch the same film, 10 people can read the same book, etc.. etc.. they can put in the EULA that I must give my first born child to them but it's not legally enforceable. EULA's are a civil matter, the worst they can do is to not support you if you have a problem.

I still fail to see why games are a special case.

Games are digital, they are easier to steal than a physical object. Huge amounts of money are invested in the creation of something that can be stolen so easily and games age differently than all of the other items because it's based on technology at the time. Games can change and thus are dynamic and content can also be dynamic. They are interactive as well and are different than any other media and what goes for them is not something that can go for other forms of objects or media.

Because of all of this, you can't compare it to anything else because it's unique.

Who are these Microshills, why are they so tiny, how much money have they given to media outlets and which media outlets have accepted the money and modified their reporting accordingly?

• Like 3

We don't know if they are going to stop rentals, that is your opinion. We don't have those facts yet but you assume a lot.

Assumption in this case is a bad thing because it can lead you to make huge mistakes.

Lining the pockets of the big boys is a great thing, it allows the publishers to keep those developers in business.

Maybe you don't understand how to run a business but I would rather have money for a business

to create product than have nothing and go out of business.

It seems like you are wasting a lot of energy trying to defend the PS4 for gaming. Just looking at your signature and how hard you are pushing for Sony, hmmmm are you sure you are not getting paid for it?

When information about the games come out at E3 and the information about the process that Microsoft is putting together on used and rented games, most people that were crying about it will finally wise up and realize how stupid they were for acting like cry babies.

One thing that I noticed about people on the Internet is that they often take sides and overreact over nothing.

That is what this is, you are overreacting either on purpose to push a brand or you really are naive about the process.

I personally don't care about your scare tactics, propaganda, and ignorance, but after E3, its going to be you holding the bag.

No we don't know but considering they are going to put this system into place for used games it's not a stretch to assume they are going to do it for rentals as well.

I don't know how to run a business but they get paid for the original sale, if they can't recoup their $150m budget for a game then maybe it's time to downscale things a bit.

What part of what I am saying is defending the PS4?

For all I know PS4 is going to have exact same system in place and I haven't even mentioned PS4 in this topic.

No one is crying either, I am passionate about technology and I like discussing it with like minded people, what I get p*ssed off at is people "crying" because I am speaking bad about their favourite console.

My avatar and sig are ironic, I get accused of being a Sony fanboy or like yourself accusing me of being paid by Sony to trash Microsoft I might as well go all out and don myself with appropriate avatar and signature.

Not sure what scare tactics, propoganda and ignorance I am displaying, I am just using the words Microsoft have put out into the press to discuss the subject.

You are the one getting your panties in a twist because I seemingly am championing one over the other.

Games are digital, they are easier to steal than a physical object. Huge amounts of money are invested in the creation of something that can be stolen so easily and games age differently than all of the other items because it's based on technology at the time. Games can change and thus are dynamic and content can also be dynamic. They are interactive as well and are different than any other media and what goes for them is not something that can go for other forms of objects or media.

Because of all of this, you can't compare it to anything else because it's unique.

Charging for used games isn't going to combat piracy. Pirates are still going to find ways around the restrictions.

• Like 1

Funny how Valve implemented a similar system with Steam hardly anyone complains about, save for those wanting to pirate games.

This its hypocracy

Why yes, having a different opinion from your own on the Xbox One makes journalists 'Microshills'. You're being ridiculous.

Funny how Valve implemented a similar system with Steam hardly anyone complains about, save for those wanting to pirate games.

The prices you pay on Steam are generally far more reasonable than people charge for console games. There's no real need to trade them.

The prices you pay on Steam are generally far more reasonable than people charge for console games. There's no real need to trade them.

Steam doesn't subsidize your PC.

Would you consider this a positive thing if it results in lower game prices? I am kind of in the same boat as you (although sitting on the fence until things clear out) but I wouldn't mind if games (and possibly console too?) start costing less because of this system.

This is what the OP article mentions as "good thing" if the prices get slashed for games. I think that is a fair argument.

• Like 1

It's a fair system and I will be selling my current game consoles to buy the new Xbox One console.

You can sell your current gen consoles and get money from both the consoles and all the games you've invested on. If you have a decent game collection you might be able to cover the price of the new hardware completely.

When the day comes that you might consider selling your Xbox One to buy whatever Xbox console that comes next, all your game collection will be worth exactly $0 for any potential buyer of your second hand stuff.

None of this is even confirmed or denied. Why does everyone keep posting this crap?

And what's with the flamebait title?

Would you consider this a positive thing if it results in lower game prices? I am kind of in the same boat as you (although sitting on the fence until things clear out) but I wouldn't mind if games (and possibly console too?) start costing less because of this system.

This is what the OP article mentions as "good thing" if the prices get slashed for games. I think that is a fair argument.

If they don't penalise rentals then yes I would think it positive if games dropped in price, developers/publishers got more money, it shafted game retailers who charge high prices for used games and there was a mechanism for private sales that bypassed the system.

There's a lot of IF's though.

Wasn't aware pirated games required steam, they just use a cracked steam_api.dll.

I edited your headline to one that isn't misleading.

If you say websites are being paid off by Microsoft, then that's what the topic should be about -- not a website saying something you disagree with.

I believe the $35 price that everyone is spitting out or using isn't official for one and is also the full retail used price and not just the price MS/Publishers are reported as wanting. I believe the original source that posted that figure has since updated the post to reflect that it's their own number and is the full retail value a person would pay for the used game itself as a whole.

Now out of that $35, if what retail pays back is small, $5? Is that so bad? What if that cut MS takes goes back to paying for the cost of the authentication systems and large increase in Xbox Live servers that they talked about? Is that really bad? And also, we have word that this fee is only going to be charged by a retailer, if you sell a game to a friend you're not paying a fee or anything.

The PA article is one of the few not to resort to extreme sensationalism and instead look at the matter objectively. Companies like GameStop shamelessly profiteer from used games - it has got to the stage where they are actively undermining primary sales. Restricting used games will support developers and allow publishers to offer lower prices, as has been seen with Steam. Are there concerns about the approach that Microsoft is taking? Absolutely. But some of the articles on the matter, particularly by sites like Kokatu, have been ridiculous.

Killing second hand games in my view is criminal. I was swapping, selling and buying used games back with my NES and Genesis. It's a part of the culture! Finally if i buy something i should be able to sell it on when i'm done with it! That and friends borrow games for periods at a time to complete it themselves!

"Once that secondary market is removed you can suddenly profit from every copy of your game sold, and as profit margins rise it's possible we'll see prices drop."

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE.

I love how everyone completely ignored this comment.

With Steam, you KNOW what you are getting and it's been the same since inception.