Website thinks killing used games is a good thing

Journalists who get free games, consoles and probably hardly ever have to spend a dime saying things like this? There's a surprise.

Steam doesn't subsidize your PC.

So? The studios that publish console games don't subsidise your console either.

So MS who does should be getting a small cut then, following the line of thinking so far.

They do in a way, don't they?

They have to pay the initial development fee, then they have to give a cut of every game sold to Sony/MS.

They do in a way, don't they?

They have to pay the initial development fee, then they have to give a cut of every game sold to Sony/MS.

I'm sure the developer does pay for dev kits etc but as for the licensing per game wouldn't that be taken from the publisher?

The PA article is one of the few not to resort to extreme sensationalism and instead look at the matter objectively. Companies like GameStop shamelessly profiteer from used games - it has got to the stage where they are actively undermining primary sales. Restricting used games will support developers and allow publishers to offer lower prices, as has been seen with Steam. Are there concerns about the approach that Microsoft is taking? Absolutely. But some of the articles on the matter, particularly by sites like Kokatu, have been ridiculous.

You really think removing used games(or putting retarded fees on them) will make the greedy publishers who gave us things like online passes suddenly decide to be nice and give us lower prices? Oh, please. You should wake up from your dreamworld and come into reality. They wont even considering doing such a thing.

You really think removing used games(or putting retarded fees on them) will make the greedy publishers who gave us things like online passes suddenly decide to be nice and give us lower prices?

That's exactly what happened with Steam.

Kinda sad we pirates arent treated like normal people :/ We all have our reasons :pinch:

Didn't EA already get rid of online passes though? I mean we've already seen a change it seems unless you guys actually liked the idea behind online passes?

That's exactly what happened with Steam.

Or they drop prices on the pc versions sooner not because of no used sales, but because of the fact that pc game sales(at full price) are never remotely close to the sales of the console version and they need to make some money off their effort.

I'm sure the developer does pay for dev kits etc but as for the licensing per game wouldn't that be taken from the publisher?

That is true, I confess I did kind of lump the two together. I guess in practice the cost of the kit is paid for by the publisher as well, as they (in most cases) pay the developer :)

Or they drop prices on the pc versions sooner not because of no used sales, but because of the fact that pc game sales(at full price) are never remotely close to the sales of the console version and they need to make some money off their effort.

So that's why the same policy is taken with PC exclusive games as well? But if you want to ignore the evidence that's fine.

Likewise, you can continue to believe the absurd thought that killing of used games or putting absurd fees on to them is a good thing and that it'll make life better for anyone except the publishers.

Arguably the case with Steam restricting used game sales is completely discounted by the unrestricted ability to download and update your game indefinitely, value-add features in the client and the myriad sales.

However when it comes to Microsoft, there is zero guarantee they won't just pocket the difference. Let's not forget that consoles are still largely based on physical media too.

New game prices will never drop down. They know they can make money where it is at, and if anything at all, they will only try to charge more and say, "newer tech and graphics means more blahbalhbalh so higher prices."

And anyone using STEAM as an example needs to realize that most games that do well on steam are ones that go on sale often, offer free dlc after release, and are regularly supported with mods by the community. Consoles so far, don't and haven't provided nealry any of that. There is a huge difference between the business models, and your ignorance to them when siting such things is obvious to those who know this. PC games are usually a little cheaper as well compared to console games, and modding makes computer games leagues more accessible and tempting to a gamer.

The main reason there is a USED games market is due to a few factors. 1) Crappy games released with no demos, so many buy it and turn it in when its found to be crap. 2) Game isn't supported past release, gets stale and isn't worth playing after sometime. Most games have lifetimes, and without additional content, they will die off. 3) With so many sequels coming out, multiples sometime within less of a years timespan, the catalog is too robust and requires some people on budgets to trade in games and buy only used games.

There are many reasons why we need a used game market. No other market is harmed by 2nd hand sales, and neither are games. The only thing that hurts the games market is crappy games, shoddy reviews, and business practices that aim to nickle and dime the consumer at every corner.

Which the developer was paid in full for..........if you are talking server capacity once the game changes hands it's not using more resources it's using the same resources as the first person who played it who no longer can play it as he doesn't have the game anymore.

Why is it the consumers fault that games cost millions to make and are cheaper to buy?

The consumer isn't to blame. It's corporate greed at it's finest. The higher up's want more and more and more.

Which website ? Uplay.com :applause: Origion.com :applause: or steam.com :gasp! TOTALLY NOT THE SAME THING!!!!!!!111!!:

Screw them all, no exceptions!

Arguably the case with Steam restricting used game sales is completely discounted by the unrestricted ability to download and update your game indefinitely, value-add features in the client and the myriad sales.

However when it comes to Microsoft, there is zero guarantee they won't just pocket the difference. Let's not forget that consoles are still largely based on physical media too.

The same things sound like they're going to be possible on the X1, so far from the tidbits of info given from MS people since each game is tied to your account, until you sell it off, then when you visit a friend and use his/her X1 you can login to your account and download your games and play them there like it's your own X1. That's the whole idea behind linking things to a account, it's the same with Xbox games on the the PC in Windows 8 and on the phone so I expect it to be the same on the X1 as well.

Didn't EA already get rid of online passes though? I mean we've already seen a change it seems unless you guys actually liked the idea behind online passes?

And then the MS conference happened....

Nobody cares about video games unless they are violent. So, I think you are overreacting with your plumber.

Wait a second! It just occurred to me that, they want to do away with used or second hand games. think about it. If I buy a used game from anyone on neowin, the game producers don't get a cent from the sale of the game. eg, i just bought a game from you. they are trying to cut out the middle man and possibly force gamers to buy direct from companies. personally, i think it would be better if gamers bought games straight from a repository service like steam. no more CD's/DVD's laying around the house. have it all downloaded on to the hard drive. But that's just me..

The same things sound like they're going to be possible on the X1, so far from the tidbits of info given from MS people since each game is tied to your account, until you sell it off, then when you visit a friend and use his/her X1 you can login to your account and download your games and play them there like it's your own X1. That's the whole idea behind linking things to a account, it's the same with Xbox games on the the PC in Windows 8 and on the phone so I expect it to be the same on the X1 as well.

Let's be honest here, the prime motivation for Microsoft is taking control of the used games market away from the brick and mortar stores. I also very much doubt people will roam with their accounts then then download multi-gigabyte titles, small indies sure, but those aren't generally resold as they're cheap.

You can sell your current gen consoles and get money from both the consoles and all the games you've invested on. If you have a decent game collection you might be able to cover the price of the new hardware completely.

When the day comes that you might consider selling your Xbox One to buy whatever Xbox console that comes next, all your game collection will be worth exactly $0 for any potential buyer of your second hand stuff.

Nah, I will still be able to get money for it. The outcome is the same, the new system being put in place is what is different. A year after launch all this non-sense from the Internet will go away as people realize that nothing has really changed, the flow of money and the new system are the big changes, but what we could do before we can still do now. People just get too scared. It's a wonder how people get through life every day.

Nah, I will still be able to get money for it. The outcome is the same, the new system being put in place is what is different. A year after launch all this non-sense from the Internet will go away as people realize that nothing has really changed, the flow of money and the new system are the big changes, but what we could do before we can still do now. People just get too scared. It's a wonder how people get through life every day.

That depends on what's the actual implementation of that "new system". If you had to pay full price to devs and/or MS for second hand games then I don't see how you'd get a dime for your game collection.

Let's be honest here, the prime motivation for Microsoft is taking control of the used games market away from the brick and mortar stores. I also very much doubt people will roam with their accounts then then download multi-gigabyte titles, small indies sure, but those aren't generally resold as they're cheap.

So take the disc with you? The point is that it sounds like it'll be tied to your account so regardless of what X1 it is, yours, your friends w/e, if you login with your account you can play the game on another system because it's linked to you already. Having the option to d/l it again without the disc is a bonus.