Website thinks killing used games is a good thing

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#91 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:18

No we don't know but considering they are going to put this system into place for used games it's not a stretch to assume they are going to do it for rentals as well.

I don't know how to run a business but they get paid for the original sale, if they can't recoup their $150m budget for a game then maybe it's time to downscale things a bit.

What part of what I am saying is defending the PS4?

For all I know PS4 is going to have exact same system in place and I haven't even mentioned PS4 in this topic.

No one is crying either, I am passionate about technology and I like discussing it with like minded people, what I get p*ssed off at is people "crying" because I am speaking bad about their favourite console.

My avatar and sig are ironic, I get accused of being a Sony fanboy or like yourself accusing me of being paid by Sony to trash Microsoft I might as well go all out and don myself with appropriate avatar and signature.

Not sure what scare tactics, propoganda and ignorance I am displaying, I am just using the words Microsoft have put out into the press to discuss the subject.

You are the one getting your panties in a twist because I seemingly am championing one over the other.

Charging for used games isn't going to combat piracy. Pirates are still going to find ways around the restrictions.

I don't care if you talk bad about Xbone. I care because you are ranting and raving and you don't have all the facts. All you have are assumptions.

You are jumping to conclusions because they support your hate. That is not rational.

If you care about technology, you will look at all of the FACTS and decide. E3 is the big show and Microsoft will be telling things up to the very launch of the box. We will not know everything until the full launch. We can know most things by E3.

#92 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:44

Samsung doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my TV
LG doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my Monitor
Sony doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my PS3
Google doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my phone
Movie studios don't get a cut of the sale if I sell my movie collection
Intel doesn't get a cut of the sale if I sell my PC
Book publishers don't get a cut of the sale if I sell my book collection

Why should Microsoft/Publishers get a cut of the sale if I sell or buy games?

I am not necessarily saying I disagree, but I think there is a difference to take in to account between a physical item & a piece of software.

A used TV is just that, a used TV. A "used" game is as good as a new game. The developer/publisher isn't getting anything back when someone else is getting a copy of that game. The only reason they can get that software is because it's distributed on a disc.

Personally I think (& I am no expert) MS would be best leaving used games as they are & push strong for digital sales next-gen.

#93 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:49

I am not necessarily saying I disagree, but I think there is a difference to take in to account between a physical item & a piece of software.

A used TV is just that, a used TV. A "used" game is as good as a new game. The developer/publisher isn't getting anything back when someone else is getting a copy of that game. The only reason they can get that software is because it's distributed on a disc.

Personally I think (& I am no expert) MS would be best leaving used games as they are & push strong for digital sales next-gen.

They did say that each game on the X1 will be available on disc and digitally. So what they could do is offer specials or some type of same day and date access to all games for Gold members only while free users have to wait a bit. This would keep retail happy in the end because if you don't want to wait then you'd go out to get the physical disc copy from a store.