Error message of Outlook.com accessed from XP start menu

When I try to read my mails in Outlook.com by clicking E-Mails from the start menu, every time after signing in I receive the error message: "Sorry, there seems to be a problem with Outlook right now. try to return to outlook, If you continue to have this problem, please report it to Microsoft".

I have to click "try to return to outlook" in order to access my inbox mail.

When I use directly my browser IE8 by typing hotmail.com in the address bar field, I can immediately access outlook.com without error message, the same applies when using Firefox.

Nevertheless I always did appreciate using the start menu for accessing my previously hotmail box.

Additionally I did copy the content of the address bar line:

When clicking E-Mail (windows live hotmail) from the start menu, I get on the address bar together with the signing in screen:

https://login.live.c...bcxt=mai&snsc=1

(Please note that the whole link has to be developed to notice the difference with the second link and especially the end of the link: mail.live.com%2Fcgi-in%2Fsbox%3Faction%3Dinbox&lc=1036&id=64855&mkt=fr-FR&cbcxt=mai&snsc=1)

After signing in, I receive the error message, and I have to click "try to return to outlook"

Either in IE8 or in Firefox when typing in the address bar www.hotmail.com, I get on the address bar together with the signing in screen:

https://login.live.c...bcxt=mai&snsc=1

(Please note that the whole link has to be developed to notice the difference with the previous link and especially the end of the link: mail.live.com%2Fdefault.aspx&lc=1036&id=64855&mkt=fr-FR&cbcxt=mai&snsc=1)

After signing in, I access directly my inbox.

I have tested the above contents by copying each in the address bar as well in IE8 or Firefox, the first one gives me the error message, and the second allows me to directly access my mail inbox.

Because the start menu uses indirectly the file hmmapi.dll to access hotmail.com and now outlook.com, I suppose the problem lies in hmmapi.dll.

The windows community could not help!

Thanks in advance for your help

:D I did find the solution by following the steps:

- In the window Run I typed

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" www.hotmail.com

It was OK I could access my Inbox without error message.

- In the Command prompt windows I typed

"C:\PROGRA~1\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" www.hotmail.com

It was OK I could access again my Inbox without error message.

- I typed Regedit.exe in the window Run,

I got In the left panel:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

Clients

Mail

Hotmail

shell

open

command

and in the right panel:

(Default) REG_EXPAND_SZ %systemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\hmmapi.dll",OpenInboxHandler

- I made a backup of my old register

- I deleted this content and I created the following register entry

(Default) REG_SZ "C:\PROGRA~1\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" www.hotmail.com

It solved my problem without modifying hmmapi.dll.

Now I can again use the start menu for accessing my outlook.com box without receiving any error message.

It was a challenge for me! :D

Thank you for your support

The only disadvantage in my method is that the icon Windows Live Hotmail becomes the standard Icon of Internet Explorer with the text "Windows Live Hotmail" and not the envelope with a stamp on it.

By bypassing hmmapi.dll. we lose this icon.