• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 27 May 2013 - 00:11

Current Windows keyboards have current Windows logos, like a keyboard from 2007 would have a Vista windows logo key and a 2010 keyboard would have a Win 7 logo key and so on. So does the new Microsoft Comfort and Sculpture mouse reflect what the upcoming WIndows 8.1 start button will look like? I predict the 8.1 start button might even change colors to reflect the start screen color.

windows 8.jpg

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:37

You may be right too.

#3 nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 27 May 2013 - 17:35

I think this mouse just tells you that if you want a start button then buy this mouse. Then you'll have a start button.

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 27 May 2013 - 17:42

I'm going to make a guess and say the new button could change color depending on whatever color you have picked for the rest of the UI, like the one in the charms bar does.

#5 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:22

I don't know, but it seems to be a bit backwards that we're now putting additional hardware buttons on our devices. Seems like, if anything, we should be going in the opposite direction.

#6 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:38

I don't want just a start button, I want a start menu.. That is just me and what I prefer.. Call me names, I don't care :D They should have just had both and ease people into Metro.. Let's hope this mouse is good things to come!

#7 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:42

You know what, you might actually be right.
If it does come back, so long as it's optional, then that's no problem.

#8 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:45

I don't think so. I think the device just makes it easier for the user to access the start screen. Even though I love 8, I think an actual button will be a welcome addition in Blue. Not a whole lot of people realize that the lower left is a hot spot for the start screen.

#9 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:50

I don't want just a start button, I want a start menu.. That is just me and what I prefer.. Call me names, I don't care :D They should have just had both and ease people into Metro.. Let's hope this mouse is good things to come!

there was a video on neowin recently whereby the woman rep from microsoft said Windows 8 was to be the OS for everyone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Problem is, their short sighted-ness has us talking about this issue in the first place. what about wacom tablet users? what about computer manufacturers and CAD-CAM developers? they use mice still

to be the Os for everyone, you HAVE TO BE the OS for everyone.. not got back to add what should have been there, either by option or by default.

as forrest Gump would say, "that's all there is to say about that..."

#10 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:54

there was a video on neowin recently whereby the woman rep from microsoft said Windows 8 was to be the OS for everyone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Problem is, their short sighted-ness has us talking about this issue in the first place. what about wacom tablet users? what about computer manufacturers and CAD-CAM developers? they use mice still

to be the Os for everyone, you HAVE TO BE the OS for everyone.. not got back to add what should have been there, either by option or by default.

as forrest Gump would say, "that's all there is to say about that..."

Oh, I 100% agree with you. It isn't the OS for everyone.. If you put this OS in 99% of businesses, their end users would FLIP their ****. I'm just talking about simple office and internet stuff..

People that to CAD and use a lot tools\programs.. NIGHTMARE.. Yes, you can install Start8, but you shouldn't have too.. IF we had the CHOICE to have a start menu OR a start screen.. Windows 8 would have been a huge success.. I like their overhaul of most of everything.. with the HUGE exception of that Start Screen.

#11 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 27 May 2013 - 19:17

too many here on neowin have even said "tough.. get used to it." with that thinking is why windows 8 has so many problems.

an example given is the European installation of the browser.. there's a selection screen whereby they can choose what browser to use. This could be done for the start menu people by the installation when it determines your PC.. tablet? then the Modern UI. Laptop with touchscreen? Modern UI. Laptop without touchscreen? Start button with start menu... and so on. not that difficult.

the price you have to pay to be everyone's friend

#12 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

Posted 27 May 2013 - 19:21

too many here on neowin have even said "tough.. get used to it." with that thinking is why windows 8 has so many problems.

an example given is the European installation of the browser.. there's a selection screen whereby they can choose what browser to use. This could be done for the start menu people by the installation when it determines your PC.. tablet? then the Modern UI. Laptop with touchscreen? Modern UI. Laptop without touchscreen? Start button with start menu... and so on. not that difficult.

the price you have to pay to be everyone's friend

Yep.. The "tough, get use to it" attitude won't get you far.. People can say what they want.. but the fact it .. the majority of the people would pick Windows 7 over Windows 8 any day. Hopefully Microsoft heard us screaming and will fix their mistake...

With all the different devices out there.. the OS should be tailored to your hardware.. not the other way around.

#13 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 May 2013 - 21:00

Yep.. The "tough, get use to it" attitude won't get you far.. People can say what they want.. but the fact it .. the majority of the people would pick Windows 7 over Windows 8 any day. Hopefully Microsoft heard us screaming and will fix their mistake...

With all the different devices out there.. the OS should be tailored to your hardware.. not the other way around.

This isn't a "tough, get used to it" attitude. Truth is, it's *their* OS. They have a defined UX they are building. If you don't want to buy into it, there are other options available. They have no obligation to include each and every little "option" people want.

The Start Menu was obsolete, including it would have required more work, and would have degraded the overall UX.

#14 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 27 May 2013 - 21:45

This isn't a "tough, get used to it" attitude. Truth is, it's *their* OS. They have a defined UX they are building. If you don't want to buy into it, there are other options available. They have no obligation to include each and every little "option" people want.

The Start Menu was obsolete, including it would have required more work, and would have degraded the overall UX.

As a business, your customers are your bread and butter.so to say that, means you don't care about who buys into your product. the start menu is ONLY obsolete to those who are into touchscreens.
as for the required more work for making a start menu, that's non sense. 3rd party vendors have been doing it for.. oh.. since Windows 8 came out.

remember; the Female MS rep said on video they want to be the OS for all.. tablets, laptops and desktops.I think it is great MS is getting it together for those of us who don't have touchscreen systems.

#15 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 May 2013 - 22:19

As a business, your customers are your bread and butter.so to say that, means you don't care about who buys into your product. the start menu is ONLY obsolete to those who are into touchscreens.
as for the required more work for making a start menu, that's non sense. 3rd party vendors have been doing it for.. oh.. since Windows 8 came out.

remember; the Female MS rep said on video they want to be the OS for all.. tablets, laptops and desktops.I think it is great MS is getting it together for those of us who don't have touchscreen systems.

The Start Menu is obsolete in the fact that tiny, static icons, browsing through dozens of featureless folders, combined with the generally cramped feeling the menu gives, and you'll see why it died. There was no way to advance it without changing things no matter what. Then to include the modern apps, and fit into the modern UX, and you just have resources going out the door with little return for it.

The Modern UX isn't going to mature overnight, by the time Windows 9 comes around, hardware should catch up, and we'll forget all about the crappy menu.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!