Xbox One will not block used games

You do realise that the fee is if you want to install the game and play it without the game disc right? So essentially owning the game on 2 machines.

People are so ****ing stupid. This has been blown so much out of hand, I really feel for MS.

Also, do people realise that when you've played a game on your account and play on someone elses xbox, you can install and download any game you've played and own.

Ha Im sure Microsoft needs your sympathy.

And no we dont know it works anything like that. From what we know games must be installed so you cant give the disc to anyone you like to try out for a bit.

Want to lend a game to a friend without giving them access to your live account? Tough, Microsoft demands payment.

Ha Im sure Microsoft needs your sympathy.

And no we dont know it works anything like that. From what we know games must be installed so you cant give the disc to anyone you like to try out for a bit.

Want to lend a game to a friend without giving them access to your live account? Tough, Microsoft demands payment.

We don't know it works anything like how you think either. Since you want to believe in rumors so much, the newest ones say you CAN lend a game to a friend and that until you get your disc back to authenticate your install over with it you can't play your install.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games

If you want to selectively believe in one rumor and not the other then fine but don't state the one you believe in is fact because they aren't.

• Like 1

Consider how long it took for MS to clarify, and they didn't do it with the reveal, I won't put it past them they were testing the waters to do this and the backlash proved too much.

There's rumor to generate buzz, then there this rumor which was hurting them for a while.

They still won't come out and say used games are treated the same as they are on the 360.

We don't know it works anything like how you think either. Since you want to believe in rumors so much, the newest ones say you CAN lend a game to a friend and that until you get your disc back to authenticate your install over with it you can't play your install.

http://www.polygon.c...ecks-used-games

If you want to selectively believe in one rumor and not the other then fine but don't state the one you believe in is fact because they aren't.

Nice try but actually I'd rather not believe in rumours hence me believing what a corporate vice president of Microsoft had to say to the press when they revealed the console.

Nothing they have said after the fact has said he was wrong. Merely that they are still "ironing out the details" or rather "we are trying to weather the ****storm of bad press after we announced this thing."

Orite then jackass. Read this from Major Nelson himself:

http://majornelson.c...d-used-games-2/

Steam has been doing this since Half Life 2, why are people complaining when next-generation consoles are doing the same 9 years later?

Nice try but actually I'd rather not believe in rumours hence me believing what a corporate vice president of Microsoft had to say to the press when they revealed the console.

Nothing they have said after the fact has said he was wrong. Merely that they are still "ironing out the details" or rather "we are trying to weather the ****storm of bad press after we announced this thing."

Do you honestly think the Xbox One has finished development? Do you even know how much work it takes for something like this to go from concept to reality? They'll actively still be working on it. Or even changing the whole process based on reactions.

Maybe i'm being blind. Where does it say they wont require a fee for second hand games?

Do you honestly think the Xbox One has finished development? Do you even know how much works it take for something like this to go from concept to reality? They'll actively still be working on it. Or even changing the whole process based on reactions.

Yes it takes years of meticulous planning, research and insane amounts of money. You cant build a game blocking infrastructure in a few months. The whole system will likely be built around the fact that you install discs to your account and that is what they are linked to. It is probably impossible for them to change course now.

Steam has been doing this since Half Life 2, why are people complaining when next-generation consoles are doing the same 9 years later?

Do you honestly think the Xbox One has finished development? Do you even know how much work it takes for something like this to go from concept to reality? They'll actively still be working on it. Or even changing the whole process based on reactions.

It's because it's a change in the console business model, and not everyone equates Steam/PC model to console's and some feel ripped off.

Maybe i'm being blind. Where does it say they wont require a fee for second hand games?

Yes it takes years of meticulous planning, research and insane amounts of money. You cant build a game blocking infrastructure in a few months. The whole system will likely be built around the fact that you install discs to your account and that is what they are linked to. It is probably impossible for them to change course now.

That's not what we're discussing. We know the fee is reality, but the situation around where it will be used is wrong. Also the fact that the Xbox will simply block used games, which is wrong.

I really don't understand how everyone isn't excited around some concepts around the new Xbox.

You can download all your game library anywhere you are, on whoever's Xbox.

It's because it's a change in the console business model, and not everyone equates Steam/PC model to console's and feel ripped off.

If the current situation around it is correct, with all the statements and FAQ's Q&A's etc. Then the only case that you would be effected is if you lent a game to a friend without you being there.

Honestly, is it hard to understand that he could've meant that you'd have to buy the game if you want to play the install yourself after your friend takes his disc copy and goes home? Is that really any different than how it'd be today?

Wired: So as another example, if I took my disc and went to a friend?s house, would I be able to play that game on his machine?

Harrison: Yes, you can. You can take your game around to your friend?s house just as you would today ? that?s assuming you have a physical disc ? and what we?re doing with the new Live technology is that? with the disc, it?s just a repository for ?the bits?. You can put that disc into his drive, you can play the game while you?re there, and then you go home and take that disc with you. But actually, ?the bits? are still on his drive. If your friend decides that he really likes to play that game, then he can go buy it instantly, and it doesn?t need to download again. It?s already there. Once he?s paid for it, it?s immediately there.

The above is exactly what he said, and people took from that that there's a fee? Well yeah, he also said that each game will be available on disc and digitally, thus without a disc your friend can play the game after he buys it since you just took your copy and went home.

Honestly, is it hard to understand that he could've meant that you'd have to buy the game if you want to play the install yourself after your friend takes his disc copy and goes home? Is that really any different than how it'd be today?

Unless he thought that Wired were asking whether you could get away with passing around the game disc to anyone you knew to install and get the game for free I dont think there would be any need for that clarification.

Major Nelson stated that you would be able to play at a friends by signing into your account, so I dont know where you are getting your ideas from apart from an imaginary utopia. All we have to go on are what Phil said and what Major nelson said. No fee for your profile, fee for other users.

Whether this one rumor is true or debunked, it doesn't matter. There are still plenty of other terrible design decisions that are confirmed and reason enough not to get the console. At least if this one isn't true, then that's one less thing to worry about.

Whether this one rumor is true or debunked, it doesn't matter. There are still plenty of other terrible design decisions that are confirmed and reason enough not to get the console. At least if this one isn't true, then that's one less thing to worry about.

Yeah, they did make some truly bizarre decisions this go-round...

Unless he thought that Wired were asking whether you could get away with passing around the game disc to anyone you knew to install and get the game for free I dont think there would be any need for that clarification.

Major Nelson stated that you would be able to play at a friends by signing into your account, so I dont know where you are getting your ideas from apart from an imaginary utopia. All we have to go on are what Phil said and what Major nelson said. No fee for your profile, fee for other users.

Did you know that Phil Harrison contradicted himself after saying the "fee required" scenario? Which Phil H. do you want to believe?

There's so much arguing over rumours in this thread that it's becoming a bit ridiculous.

I think it's clear from the original MCV article where the described the system that is most likely to be implemented from what retail stores have been told by MS is the most likely "solution" going forward. But publishers are not going to be happy with MS offering this system to them and Sony doing the same thing that has been going on for the past however many years in the gaming industry. Whether that leaves to less publisher support at the beginning for Sony or whether the PS4 is going to have to include such a system to remain competitive remains to be seen. I'm willing to bet that Sony will be implementing some sort of used game system, but how many similarities there will be between MS's and Sony's methods will surely be discussed at E3.

I really can't see the new system being good for consumers though at all. All MS and publishers care about (and Sony) is pocketing more money from consumers - they don't care about them.

I really can't see the new system being good for consumers though at all. All MS and publishers care about (and Sony) is pocketing more money from consumers - they don't care about them.

A business wanting to make money. Oh, the madness...

Dependent on the consumer that buys it, and there a portion that's outcrying against this if rumor is true.

I myself will vote the only way I can, with my wallet.

If the "system" is a small fee collected by retailers for used games I doubt it'll have any huge impact at all. The problem some have, for no reason that I can see, is that they seem to think they won't be able to rent or lend/borrow games anymore. Until officially proven otherwise I don't think that's the case at all and while I expect your game to be tied to your account that doesn't stop it from being able to de-authenticate and be used on another account/system until you get your disc back. Specially if each disc does indeed have a code that goes with it that is used at install time or w/e.

I didn't say anything to contradict that, I find that a lot of people think that these companies will go out of their way to make the consumer happy when in reality it's only when it suits them.

Basically what I expected, since people can't seem to wait till E3 MN will try to get the ok to post some answers before then.

Wasn't sure that this justified a new thread, so I'll just stick it here...

"I am working on rounding up answers, and they look pretty good. Once I have them all I'll make a post. And yes, we are listening."

https://twitter.com/majornelson/with_replies

Hopefully we'll get some solid answers before E3.

I hope so...

a better link: