Do you use an adblocker?

Do you use an adblocker?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use an adblocker?

• Yes, on all websites.
    • Yes, on most websites. I whitelist sites I care about - like Neowin.
    • No.
    • There is no adblocker available for my browser of choice.

The 2013 version of the adblock - yay or nay poll. Raa will be happy since I abstained from making this a public poll.

For me the answer is 'yes, on most websites'. There are several websites on my whitelist.

I have one installed as it's just par of the course, but I use it only selectively i.e. It's off on all websites until I decide on what to block.

Obviously on websites I like to frequent I either pay my way or keep the ads unblocked. :p

I find a Flash blocker (with click to enable) all I need. It makes browsing faster and saves on bandwidth.

If Neowin didnt have pop-ups, I would add them to the whitelist :D..

Yes I do use AdBlock-Plus

I block ads based on how annyoing they are, i use proxomitron for that purposes, so it works any browser in my computer.

block candidates:

- ads that using sound / music

- ads that use javascript to floats, to always visible regardless window size or where i scroll the page.

- ads that reload/refresh itself for new ads contents, after a while

- ads that repeatedly sent web-beacon even when i not navigates away from the pages

- ads that open new tab / pop-up.

- ads that use https, I'll add the https certificates into browser's revoked/untrusted list!

whenever I found such ads, i'll see thru the html & .js files, and makes a proxomitron filter for it.

otherwise I'll leave the ads as is.

forgot to add: I also block the "facebook's like" on any non-facebook sites.

I really wouldnt mind ads if they didnt pop-up, down, sideways, in the air, whatever lol

• Like 1

I do however I pay for sites like Neowin that I care about

I used one last year but somewhere in the last 6 months I stopped using any ad blockers. Ads don't really bother me and they're usually quite relevant. It feels a little bit wrong to use an adblocker, since ads are still the most important way to get an income for most sites.

I block pretty much everywhere. But I do have the option to allow some unobtrusive adverts to be displayed. It makes browsing most websites bearable. Whenever I use a browser without adblocking it's just an awful experience. *The* most annoying of the lot are those that pop over the entire page a few seconds after I start reading the article. Oh, and those that play loud sounds without asking.

It's off by default. But if I see an ad that bothers me, for example being obtrusive, I block it, maybe even the whole site.

But I cannot figure how to block hover ads. When I accidentally hover a word/link and an ad pops up. Anyone knows how to block them?

Yes, on most websites. I whitelist sites I care about - like Neowin.

?_? Really, this is an option in poll? Or rather autosuggestion?

But I cannot figure how to block hover ads. When I accidentally hover a word/link and an ad pops up. Anyone knows how to block them?

which sites that use'em?

I hates this kind of ads too, as sometimes such ads prevent me to click the proper link.

Kind of depends on the browser and blocker. With Firefox and ABP for example (dont think the Chromium version can do this), I'd select "Open blockable items", and have it only show the javascript files (.js). Usually pretty easy to pick out the ones that are ad related just by looking at the domain that its coming from. Pretty handy when the generic list doesn't always cut it and it's not always visible.

?_? Really, this is an option in poll? Or rather autosuggestion?

Why not? Technically it should probably be the only "yes" option available in the poll, as Neowin's community rules state that you shouldn't glorify the fact that you block Neowin's adverts, even if you do.

For myself I use an adblocker but I whitelist sites like Neowin which I want to support.

forgot to add: I also block the "facebook's like" on any non-facebook sites.

I also block "like" buttons and other such stuff. I even block the pop up that you get on here when you point at the author name in posts.

I use ABP & Ghostery, but whitelist some sites, depending on how obtrusive the ads are.