• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:39

Minecraft team's next game Scrolls enters open beta June 3rd
by John Callaham

Mojang still sells a ton of copies of its sandbox game Minecraft for several platforms. The PC version was first released as an alpha in 2009 and today it is still selling over 10,000 copies a day. Today, Mojang announced plans to offer an open beta for their next game, Scrolls.

The game's official website states that PC and Mac owners can purchase the open beta for $20 for US residents starting June 3rd. The game was first announced in 2011 but in 2012 Mojang got hit with a trademark lawsuit from Bethesda Softworks, which claimed Scrolls was infringing on the Elder Scrolls franchise. The two companies later settled their differences with Mojang allowed to continue to keep the name Scrolls for the game.

As far as Scrolls itself, Mojang has released a launch trailer for the game which shows off some basic gameplay. Players must collect cards that have characters and powers into decks and then use those cards in battles online with other players in turn-based strategy combat. Players can also trade with others for their cards online. It will be interesting to see how much of Minecraft's huge player base decides to try out Scrolls.

Source: Mojang

#2 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 May 2013 - 23:16

It looks a bit boring to be honest. I'll probably buy it regardless because I do like the features its claiming to have (online, tactical, collecting).
I just hope this trailer was crappy and the game is good. The music in this trailer doesn't fit...

#3 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 27 May 2013 - 23:21

Lets hope that it wont eat up all your ram and require 50x more resources than it should like Minecraft.

#4 Sranshaft

Sranshaft

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2013 - 23:35

Looks like your run-of-the-mill Magic: The Gathering clone. I'm sure it'll be a cash-cow for Mojang though. Got to love in-game micro-transactions... :-/

#5 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2013 - 23:43

Sweet, magic the gathering thats not magic the gathering.

#6 +Zagadka

Zagadka

Sapiosexual

• Phone: Lumia 822

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:32

It looks a bit boring to be honest.

So did Minecraft, originally...

... but I really doubt this will be anything as big. Maybe it'll be fun, meh. Don't think I'll drop $20 on a beta of it.