Replacement macbook battery

So, I've got a late 2006 macbook and recently the 'Service Battery' warning has came up and I've mostly ignored it until today.

I've remove the battery and taken the cover off of it just to make sure all is A-OK and ironically, it isn't. There are a bunch of black wires on the left side that are glued in and one is floating around, so I'll solder that in later and see if it makes any difference.

With the probability that it doesn't and I do need to get a replacement battery, what would people advice? Apple sell '13" batteries' which make no mention of it they fit, not that I'd buy off them anyway because ?101 for a battery is nothing short of an insult, and the comments are full of 1 star reviews saying the battery is rubbish anyway.

I've seen some 3rd party ones on ebay for ~?20 with '3 year warranties' (yeah right), are these any good?

Or maybe there's other reputable places to get a replacement battery from (It's an A1185 model) that people know about and think are good?

Thanks

The white macbook batteries (non unibody anyway) are all the same.

Always ignore battery reviews - people only moan about them when they fail. If you think about it, it's the same battery that you have now and that's lasted 7 years :p. And which wire are you looking at?

As for which to buy - the official one is obviously best, but whether it's worth spending ?101 on a 7 year old laptop is debatable. The third party ones will work - but I've seen some horror stories of them breaking other components so it's up to you :).

Can't find any pictures of it dissassembled but it's one of the 6 black wires that goes to one of the li-ion battery packs. Oddly enough the button/light system shows all LEDs on if the wire is attached or not.

This battery has a manufacture date of 2007 on it (I got the macbook 2 or 3 years ago).

Haha I'd never pay ?101 for a battery pack, could sell the laptop and get a more recent one for cheaper.

Yes that's what I was worried about, badly manufactured, not enough safety components in them, etc.

Can't find any pictures of it dissassembled but it's one of the 6 black wires that goes to one of the li-ion battery packs. Oddly enough the button/light system shows all LEDs on if the wire is attached or not.

This battery has a manufacture date of 2007 on it (I got the macbook 2 or 3 years ago).

Haha I'd never pay ?101 for a battery pack, could sell the laptop and get a more recent one for cheaper.

Yes that's what I was worried about, badly manufactured, not enough safety components in them, etc.

It would be older than 2-3 years old given that the white unibody came out in 2009 which means your laptop would pre-date that (I assume it is the one with an X3100 GPU because it is the same one my brother has). IMHO, I'd either go for an official battery or sell it on ebay 'as is' for someone wanting to do shell over the cash for a new battery because third party ones tend to be hacked and reverse engineered that never work as good as the original and due to it being electricity I wouldn't take the safety risk.

The laptop is a 2006 model but I mean I bought the laptop 2nd hand 2 or 3 years ago :p.

OK I will probably stick it on ebay then. Thanks!