138 posts in this topic

Posted

You have shown, that in your mind people who don't understand the things you do, are "idiots".

they are, there is nothing wrong with that word. they are computer idiots. they know what they need to know to do their limited computing. They use computer daily, but they're computer idiots, just like I'm a car idiot, or plumbing idiot, despite using the plumbing in my house many times every day.

Posted

I wouldn't say  it boots faster than Windows 7. Because that implies it's actually doing a full boot, which it technically isn't doing. :D

again you are wrong, as long as the power is fully off, as it is in hibernation it does a full "boot" as that merely refers to the boot strap. ;)

Posted

Good point, but at the same time that's only because it's still plugged in. If you were to unplug it then then it would be consuming no power, other than the CMOS batter.

Well, yes, obviously, but (the majority?) of average users don't know that; me and you do. :shiftyninja:

Posted

I wouldn't say  it boots faster than Windows 7. Because that implies it's actually doing a full boot, which it technically isn't doing. :D

If you want to go literal, how the OS starts is not part of the boot process. The "full boot" in pre-Windows 8 includes hardware detection, which is part of setup/install and shouldn't be in simple boot.

Posted

Below is a mockup of a power menu would inform the user what is going on.

Your suggestion is like:

ma-31824080-WEB.jpg

PS_0263W_NOT_DRILL_PIC2.jpg

There is absolutely no reason to label "shutdown" as "this is not a restart" when it's right next to the text button "restart". Doing so is just admitting defeat and giving up on humanity. It insults the user's intelligence.

Maybe they should rename Internet Explorer and Spartan to "This is not Google Chrome" and rename the window close button to "this is not the minimize button" button.

Posted

There is absolutely no reason to label "shutdown" as "this is not a restart" when it's right next to the text button "restart". Doing so is just admitting defeat and giving up on humanity. It insults the user's intelligence.

Maybe they should rename Internet Explorer and Spartan to "This is not Google Chrome" and rename the window close button to "this is not the minimize button" button.

That's a bad example because in this case people are actually thinking Internet Explorer is Google Chrome.

Posted

That's a bad example because in this case people are actually thinking Internet Explorer is Google Chrome.

Whaaaat?

man sometimes you go off on weird tangents in this discussion and I'm not sure you even remember what your original argument was as you keep deflecting it with weird off topic tangents. 

Posted

Whaaaat?

man sometimes you go off on weird tangents in this discussion and I'm not sure you even remember what your original argument was as you keep deflecting it with weird off topic tangents. 

It was a bad example. ... he said

When I said people think internet explorer is Google chrome, I mean that as the way use was using it as an example. As if to say People do think Shut down is a restart, so putting "This is not a restart" next to it wouldn't be retarded because they DO think its a restart.

Posted

I have found this thread to be an interesting read, when done, I hit shut down on my win 7 machine, I like to think it's fully powered off and will go cold, Of the few times I've tried 8 and 8.1, I never noticed a hybrid shutdown and it would take almost a minute booting to desktop from pressing the power button.
Now I'll admit I didn't know about the shutdown isn't a shutdown in 8 and up.
1 person likes this

Posted

I have found this thread to be an interesting read, when done, I hit shut down on my win 7 machine, I like to think it's fully powered off and will go cold, Of the few times I've tried 8 and 8.1, I never noticed a hybrid shutdown and it would take almost a minute booting to desktop from pressing the power button.
Now I'll admit I didn't know about the shutdown isn't a shutdown in 8 and up.

Is the feature enabled?
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

1 person likes this

Posted

I have run computers WITHOUT a single restart for over a year; yes, uptime over a year. Didn't face any issue.

May be you should get your facts checked.

aye same:

FreeBSD mortalkomb.at 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #4: Sun Oct  3 22:26:58 EDT 2010     root@gunit.illusionrunwild.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/gunit.kern  amd64

4:30PM  up 788 days, 11:36, 7 users, load averages: 0.10, 0.19, 0.16

Posted

Had a call from a an older woman tonight, Who had Windows 8.1. Her computer could no longer connect to the internet on wifi. It would connect to the wifi but IE would just show a white page. She called the ISP tech support and try tried a bunch of stuff but couldn't get it to work. So I talked to her over the phone.

I asked her have you restarted the computer? She said yes a bunch of times, it hasn't helped. I asked her by restart, do you mean you clicked restart or you just turned the computer on and off. She said she turned the computer on and off a bunch of times it hasn't helped. Then, I take a deep breath, and go into the explanation on why she should restart and not shut down.

Then she asked me "Well if I can't turn it off and back on how am I suppose to restart?" .. I then tell her again you click on power and select restart instead of shut down. After she restarted her internet worked without issue! :)