• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:51

"It is not always watching or always listening,"

"Yes, you can turn the system completely off". "This would use no power and turn everything off. We’ll share more details about how it all works later."

"We are designing the new Kinect with simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings, provide clear notifications and meaningful privacy choices for how data will be used, stored and shared,"

"We know our customers want and expect strong privacy protections to be built into our products, devices and services, and for companies to be responsible stewards of their data. Microsoft has more than ten years of experience making privacy a top priority. Kinect for Xbox 360 was designed and built with strong privacy protections in place and the new Kinect will continue this commitment. We’ll share more details later."

http://kotaku.com/xb...oting-510100564

#2 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:56

no...... this doesn't match what the conspiracy people told me....

#3 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:58

There'll still be a hidden back-door for the CIA to turn everything on without permission.
/tinfoil

#4 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:01

Of course it can be turned off. But can it be turned off while playing a non kinect game?

#5 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:04

Of course it can be turned off. But can it be turned off while playing a non kinect game?

Does it matter if it's on or not when you play a game though? It's just sitting there waiting for you to either tell it a command or do some of the new hand gestures, it's not recording and sending video in real-time back to MS.

#6 cammy

cammy

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:05

You guys are missing the point, how many people do you know use all the features of a system? the second they have to stray away into settings they become confused and don't bother with it, This means all these features will be set to on, because if they were set to off nobody would have them on for any viable reason.

But if you're completely retarded, like say.... the entire population of earth, then you'll find that a lot of systems will have these settings still switched on.

It will take some sort of TV/Magazine headline to get people interested enough to change this, even then MS will say " we told you so..." then We'll have to listen to ****ing endless pish that we already knew years ago while some dummy is being interviewed on TV "Oh I can't believe a children toy had these settings built in, what if a paedophile climbed into my childrens room through the television" and other incoherent stupidity that I can't even imagine.

If I get an xbox one I'll be turning that **** off, do I think they'll be using it for sinister reasons? not really, but do I think MS will use it to help "marketing" yes, they'll be able to find out what a bunch of stupid people do when they have a games console, well done MS, you've did it!

#7 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:07

Does it matter if it's on or not when you play a game though? It's just sitting there waiting for you to either tell it a command or do some of the new hand gestures, it's not recording and sending video in real-time back to MS.

Funny thought: Most of the people complaining about this are probably posting from a PC with a webcam+mic (and a good percentage of them are using Google Chrome).

#8 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:11

Yes. To be honest i don't care about kinect (nor do i care about the Wii or Move).

I don't want to play Kinect games. When i get home and sit down to play games i do it to relax not to wave my hands like an idiot or speak to my console like a lunatic.

I don't mind kinect being "given' with the One. It's a nice addition. But it's nice as long as i can put it in a closet and get it out only when i do a party with friends.

Kinect needing to be always connected will actually be part of my decision to not buy the One (i bought and owned an Xbox and three 360s). It needing to be powered on while playing non kinect games would make it even worse to me.

#9 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:13

You guys are missing the point, how many people do you know use all the features of a system? the second they have to stray away into settings they become confused and don't bother with it, This means all these features will be set to on, because if they were set to off nobody would have them on for any viable reason.

more than a third of the people who bought an xbox360 bought a Kinect,so saying they would never turn that feature on is not true.

If I get an xbox one I'll be turning that **** off

great, that's what the privacy settings are there for. don't like it, turn it off.

#10 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:18

Funny thought: Most of the people complaining about this are probably posting from a PC with a webcam+mic (and a good percentage of them are using Google Chrome).

My web cam is turned off. In fact it's not even connected right now. it's on a shelf on my computer desk. I use it seldomly for Skype calls.

#11 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:18

But if you're completely retarded, like say.... the entire population of earth,

then I take it you're not from earth then or you're also included in that retarded bunch you're talking about?

#12 cammy

cammy

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:23

more than a third of the people who bought an xbox360 bought a Kinect,so saying they would never turn that feature on is not true.

great, that's what the privacy settings are there for. don't like it, turn it off.

What I'm saying is people are stupid, Microsoft know full well that most people wont have a ****ing clue what their xbox is doing, kinext sold because children imagine kinect to be something it isnt and women want it to find an easy way of losing weight, use it a couple of times then never use it again.

the reality of it is, people like the idea of kinect, but that's it, only the idea.

now all this privacy **** wont mean a thing to your average 'soccer mom' and her dumb kids will be too busy calling people ******s on call of duty to care that MS are doing whatever behind the scenes, this unfortunately is the reality of it.

I like the idea of kinect, there's potential for good with it, but it's just being used for gathering marketing statistics and for more stupid dance games.

then I take it you're not from earth then or you're also included in that retarded bunch you're talking about?

yes, we're a ****ing idiotic race, we consume everything and we mash our fingers on bits of plastic on digital thingys because we're trying to keep our minds of our impeding death.

#13 AmazingRando

AmazingRando

Grand High Poobah

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:24

I think by say "it can be powered down" the are talking about the whole system and set it to a zero or near-zero power state, not the Kinect itself.

I was really surprised that the current Kinect doesnt have a camera light on it when it's transmitting a video feed (like chat, etc).

The bio-metric data that MS will be collecting from this wont only be used in real-time but will be used to gauge reaction, awareness and interest in the content on the screen.

#14 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:24

What I'm saying is people are stupid, Microsoft know full well that most people wont have a ****ing clue what their xbox is doing, kinext sold because children imagine kinect to be something it isnt and women want it to find an easy way of losing weight, use it a couple of times then never use it again.

the reality of it is, people like the idea of kinect, but that's it, only the idea.

now all this privacy **** wont mean a thing to your average 'soccer mom' and her dumb kids will be too busy calling people ******s on call of duty to care that MS are doing whatever behind the scenes, this unfortunately is the reality of it.

I like the idea of kinect, there's potential for good with it, but it's just being used for gathering marketing statistics and for more stupid dance games.

youre so sweet,looking out for the soccer moms and their dumb children.

I think you deserve the tin foil hat award on this forum. "its a plant to trick people into thinking its for gaming,but secretly collecting marketing data". actually, maybe if this was a google product I would believe you.

#15 cammy

cammy

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:29

youre so sweet,looking out for the soccer moms and their dumb children.

I think you deserve the tin foil hat award on this forum. "its a plant to trick people into thinking its for gaming,but secretly collecting marketing data". actually, maybe if this was a google product I would believe you.

no no no no, why isn't it an opt in thing then? MS know what they're doing, Most people I know don't have a ****ing clue how anything they use works, they only know how to use it to do things they want it to do, anything else is like the 4th dimension to them.

I'm saying MS know that this is the case, if they wanted to all these settings could be opt in instead of opt out, why do you think that is? You tell me a legitimate reason and I'll listen.