Photo
xbox kinect tin foil hat xbox one toil foil hats

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:45

so mister cammy, do you say the same things about google? apple? amazon? Nintendo, sony, etc?
so why are you here, to educate the masses who're mashing their fingers on plastic and glass to take their minds off their impending death?

I thought in another thread you said your PS3 is full with games and dlc....you don't think sony track what you do with your console? or is it that you never connected it online?
you don't think neowin keeps track of your postings? mister "my PC blew up and I lost the will to live". don't come here acting all high and mighty, it's not cool to be a hypocrite. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:51

I was really surprised that the current Kinect doesnt have a camera light on it when it's transmitting a video feed (like chat, etc).

It doesn't but unless you are blind, you can easily tell it is ON and "watching".

#18 cammy

cammy

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:54

so mister cammy, do you say the same things about google? apple? amazon? Nintendo, sony, etc?
so why are you here, to educate the masses who're mashing their fingers on plastic and glass to take their minds off their impending death?

I thought in another thread you said your PS3 is full with games and dlc....you don't think sony track what you do with your console? or is it that you never connected it online?
you don't think neowin keeps track of your postings? mister "my PC blew up and I lost the will to live". don't come here acting all high and mighty, it's not cool to be a hypocrite. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

I'm fully aware that all companies do this, they all do it, but to a certain extent, some of which we know of and others we don't. I myself keep extremely private online, try to keep my privacy as well kept as possible because I don't really trust any companies.

Hypocrite? My PC did blow up and I am losing the will to live, I live with people who mis interperate points, who argue for the sake of arguing, think they're being personally attacked and feel the have to defend a company or games console?

All companies do this, that recent **** about apple and android apps having microtransactions is the exact same, the consumers are all fine with it until they're kid spends thousands of pounds on their card on ****ty apps then people kick up a fuss about it.

I'm trying to say, all companies are guilty of this, to what degree? I don't know, but this MS and Kinect situation is a whole new level of privacy invasion that you're automatically opted into.

High and mighty? I'm just a mere mortal, sharing the earth with you people, I don't like it but I try to help people understand the reasons behind things, I'm not saying "MS are spying on you in your sleep and selling your data to whomever" but there's clearly a reason for the way they conduct their business. use your heads, you know? 'logic'.

#19 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:56

no no no no, why isn't it an opt in thing then? MS know what they're doing, Most people I know don't have a ****ing clue how anything they use works, they only know how to use it to do things they want it to do, anything else is like the 4th dimension to them.

I'm saying MS know that this is the case, if they wanted to all these settings could be opt in instead of opt out, why do you think that is? You tell me a legitimate reason and I'll listen.

how do you know it wont be part of the initial setup? look im all for free choice and everything but are we really going to sit here and defend the ignorant who wont go into the settings to turn if off? if people are really worried about MS spying on them through kinect they should have no worries finding the setting to turn it off.

#20 cammy

cammy

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:59

how do you know it wont be part of the initial setup? look im all for free choice and everything but are we really going to sit here and defend the ignorant who wont go into the settings to turn if off? if people are really worried about MS spying on them through kinect they should have no worries finding the setting to turn it off.

This is what I'm trying to say, the argument is moot, People who will succumb to having their privacy breached aren't us, there's no point in us arguing about it, we're not the idiots, we will turn these settings off.

#21 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 May 2013 - 19:09

no no no no, why isn't it an opt in thing then? MS know what they're doing, Most people I know don't have a ****ing clue how anything they use works, they only know how to use it to do things they want it to do, anything else is like the 4th dimension to them.

I'm saying MS know that this is the case, if they wanted to all these settings could be opt in instead of opt out, why do you think that is? You tell me a legitimate reason and I'll listen.

MS know that a majority of people won't see it as a big deal. People are really blowing this whole thing out of proportion.

#22 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 May 2013 - 19:28

Congrats Microsoft for the "One" positive bit of info that's come out since the unveiling.

#23 cammy

cammy

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 19:32

MS know that a majority of people won't see it as a big deal. People are really blowing this whole thing out of proportion.

YesI agree they are, nobody gives a ****. Just wait until it affects mr and mrs average consumer, then it's on BBC news then there will be a big fuss, until then, us smart people will enjoy our xbox's and ps4's with any privacy invasive things turned off, if we're given the ability to do so that is.... :p

#24 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 May 2013 - 20:06

its enabled by default so you can see that its there and try it out,and if you like it,you will spend more money buying content. whats wrong with that? why do companies exist? to make money. everything doesn't have to be a conspiracy. nobody is out to get you.

#25 cammy

cammy

Neowinian

Posted 28 May 2013 - 20:08

its enabled by default so you can see that its there and try it out,and if you like it,you will spend more money buying content. whats wrong with that? why do companies exist? to make money. everything doesn't have to be a conspiracy. nobody is out to get you.

Cool well I'll look forward to my xbox asking and explaining to me that I can do this when I set it up.

#26 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 May 2013 - 20:10

Does it matter if it's on or not when you play a game though? It's just sitting there waiting for you to either tell it a command or do some of the new hand gestures, it's not recording and sending video in real-time back to MS.

Choice is what seems to be sorely lacking and tends to be at the root of most criticisms of just about any technological release.

#27 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 May 2013 - 20:31

Cool well I'll look forward to my xbox asking and explaining to me that I can do this when I set it up.

it will. Kinect needs calibration,and since its part of every xbox one, it will display this when you first setup your xbox one.

#28 AmazingRando

AmazingRando

Grand High Poobah

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:42

It doesn't but unless you are blind, you can easily tell it is ON and "watching".

Yeah, I meant when it's in full video recording mode and processing the combined image. For example, opening Video Chat and entering a chat and with that "person" and then turning off the TV. The only light on it is from the field paint lens and that's not very bright or very obvious unless you are looking for it.