GMail Push now spotty on iPhone 4s

Hi everyone,

For the last week or so, GMail has been hit or miss, as far as push notifications. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I need to open the email app to download them.

I know that Google sunsetted the exchange/push feature for new signups, but I?ve had this phone for over a year and it?s been working fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I modify my email settings NOT to use exchange?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

....annnnnd I managed to post this like 4 times. I fail.

What have you tried?

Rebooting might resolve the issue.

Toggling between PUSH and polling and back again may resolve the issue.

Removing the GMail Exchange account and then re-adding it may resolve the issue.

If you can send emails to your gmail from another account for testing, it may help you resolve the issue further.

From what I know, push should still work fine if your device had been "on" their ActiveSync server since before they stopped accepting new devices (as you seem to already know and understand yourself). If I understand correctly, new devices can't even connect to the ActiveSync server. New devices can only connect via POP3 and IMAP. So the fact that you can still access your email through that protocol is a good sign.

Eventually you will have to upgrade your phone to something and ActiveSync Gmail will no longer be available to you. Have you tried the Gmail App or the various 3rd party apps such as MailBox? If you plan to stick with iPhone for your next iPhone, want to stick with Google Gmail, and you require PUSH notifications then you will eventually have to use the GMail app or a 3rd party mail client that supports PUSH with Gmail.

Thanks. I did some more research yesterday and went ahead and installed the GMail app, which provides notification.

When i woke up this morning, I started to receive my notifications through apple's email app normally again, along with the notification from the GMail app. :-/

Guess it was their issue not mine. But, thanks for your input!

Since January (roughly), they disabled Push Notifications for new iOS devices. Current ones will be fine, but I upgraded from the 4S to the 5 last week and no push notifications anymore.

Google responded with a solution...install their Gmail App :\ so I have the Gmail setup in Mail where I write all my emails and the Gmail app "pings" telling me to refresh "mail" for the new ones ;-)

I actually noticed on my WP7 that sometimes hitting sync doesn't actually sync it to the latest state... until i try a couple more times. wonder if it's related. Google seems to be really trying to pull cross platform compat with this thing.