Google revamps Gmail with tabbed inbox on desktop and mobile

google-tbbbed-inbox.jpg

Organization is the key to a happy inbox, and Google's taking you one step closer to that stress-free experience. The company announced today that it'll be bringing a new tabbed layout to the desktop and mobile versions of Gmail, safely filing messages where they belong. The redesign lets you add up to five tabs, reorganizing them via drag-and-drop. You can set senders to appear in specific tabs and can move messages up to the primary one with a star. The upgrade is coming to the desktop, Android and iOS version of Gmail in "the next few weeks," though you can get a sneak peak on your desktop earlier by watching the mail program's gear / settings menu in the interim. There's also a video detailing the updates after the break, if you're so inclined.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/29/google-revamps-gmail-with-tabbed-inbox-on-desktop-and-mobile/

The tabs are too big in cozy and comfortable views.

Now I want to disable them but there don't seem to be an option.

Search bar, buttons then tabs.

Reminds me of the IE BHO toolbar hell scenario.

Same thing in the new G+ too, those layers of top bars limiting the viewable space.

Well, good if you have a hi-res or very big screen.

The tabs are too big in cozy and comfortable views.

Now I want to disable them but there don't seem to be an option.

Search bar, buttons then tabs.

Reminds me of the IE BHO toolbar hell scenario.

Same thing in the new G+ too, those layers of top bars limiting the viewable space.

Well, good if you have a hi-res or very big screen.

Click the little plus icon next to the tabs, you can turn them off in there :) disabling them all but primary will take you back to the old style. :)