25 posts in this topic

Almost all PS4 games will be compatible with the PlayStation Vita

by Jake Durasamy

In February during the PlayStation conference, Gaikai's David Perry announced that the PS Vita would become the PlayStation 4's "ultimate companion device" and he wasn’t lying. Sony president Shuhei Yoshida had this to say regarding the remote play features between the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation Vita.

— Shuhei Yoshida (@yosp) May 29, 2013
Whether consumers blame the games or not, we know that PlayStation Vita sales haven’t been the best, even if the recent price cut resulted in a slight boost in sales for Japan, but hopefully a feature such as the ability to play high-end PlayStation 4 games on the Vita encourages players to buy Sony’s “ultimate companion device.”

Sony seems to be doing well with offering a solid amount of game-orientated features for the PS4 and PS Vita that consumers have actually taken a liking to; if only Sony launches an even more diverse line-up of first-party exclusives it may take the lead in next generation gaming dominance for console owners.

Source: Shuhei Yoshida

Sony still doesn't get it. One of the main reasons Vita isn't selling is because nobody wants to play console games on a small screen away from home. The idea of the ipad / iphone is that you can play games quickly and just for a little bit of fun and that is all.

Console games are usually story driven or more complicated in nature and less likely to be a cheap throw-away game that is just pick up and play.

1 person likes this

Sony still doesn't get it. One of the main reasons Vita isn't selling is because nobody wants to play console games on a small screen away from home. The idea of the ipad / iphone is that you can play games quickly and just for a little bit of fun and that is all.

Console games are usually story driven or more complicated in nature and less likely to be a cheap throw-away game that is just pick up and play.

Speak for yourself, i love the Vita and have a PSP slim too

speak for yourself. the ONLY reason the Vita isn't selling well is due to the small selection of games.

if this ends up being true i can bet you that the Vita will start selling a lot more once the PS4 is out

Being able to play a PS4 game on the Vita because someone else is watching the TV sounds pretty useful to me.

So basically if this is true you could actually rename the Vita to PS4 Junior :)

Hard to believe you could play games with amazing graphics in your hands.

Wow! not often can I say Sony made a smart move but damn thats great if its true. I prefer xbox 360 to ps3 in all honesty but this really changes the possibilities with ps4.

Now if sony comes along and makes a ps phone compat with all they could do very well even though strictly speaking you *could* only get streamed pictures limited by your own net upload rate but the idea is brilliant.

Well played Sony, well played (presuming its as good as it sounds)

Moved to Sony Console

Being able to play a PS4 game on the Vita because someone else is watching the TV sounds pretty useful to me.

Not really, because you could just use what Sony is doing with the iPad and Android tablets to do the same thing, just with a bigger screen. If you want a game-pad just reuse your PS4 pad with the tablet and call it a day.

speak for yourself. the ONLY reason the Vita isn't selling well is due to the small selection of games.

if this ends up being true i can bet you that the Vita will start selling a lot more once the PS4 is out

I don't think this feature will make a significant increase in vita sales cause lets face it.... Who's really going to drop potentially $500 for a console(+ more $ for games), then drop another $250 on a handheld just to be able to play their console games off their tv?

Not really, because you could just use what Sony is doing with the iPad and Android tablets to do the same thing, just with a bigger screen. If you want a game-pad just reuse your PS4 pad with the tablet and call it a day.

Because everyone owns a tablet.

I don't think this feature will make a significant increase in vita sales cause lets face it.... Who's really going to drop potentially $500 for a console(+ more $ for games), then drop another $250 on a handheld just to be able to play their console games off their tv?

the same kind of people who would pay and extra $150 for the connect (and lets be honest, if people are willing to pay that much for a stationary camera i think they'll be willing to pay a little more to be able to play their game collection away from the main screen)

Because everyone owns a tablet.

More people own a tablet than Vita and for a good reason. There are even more Microsoft tablets sold than the PS Vita and that is saying something.

More people own a tablet than Vita and for a good reason. There are even more Microsoft tablets sold than the PS Vita and that is saying something.

That may be true (sales figures), but having dedicated physical controls, as a gamer, will always trump touch-only.

1 person likes this

That may be true (sales figures), but having dedicated physical controls, as a gamer, will always trump touch-only.

I agree, but you can still have physical controls.

I agree, but you can still have physical controls.

Unless you can mount the controller to the screen, or vice versa, then it' a less than ideal solution.

Unless you can mount the controller to the screen, or vice versa, then it' a less than ideal solution.

I disagree. You can use a wireless controller and you would be fine. You are going to be sitting close to the tablet so it would work out great.

You don't get it, this isn't meant for gaming on the go, you need a wifi connection to the PS4 not an internet connection. I'd love to be able to chill out in the garden in the sun and have a next gen full graphics experience.

As for your tablet nonsense, If i am sat in a garden chair id have to have the tablet in my lap staring down at the screen with all the screen glare from the sun not to mention a bad neck.

With Vita I can sit back and game till my hearts content.

You want to bump sales, lower the price of the memory cards to near cost. Your customers will reward you through spending money on the actual games, not the storage required to hold them. I like the Vita, but I'm not paying for space to store what I'm buying from them. It was a stupid decision on Sony's part to use proprietary memory cards!

2 people like this

I'm a little confused... To play a PS4 game on a Vita, doesn't that imply the Vita is as powerful as the PS4?

No, the PS4 will have a hardware h.264 encoder built into the GPU which allows it to stream video over wifi at no performance cost, the Vita will act like the Wii U gamepad which is just a wireless screen with controls.

1 person likes this

Ah thanks, so the PS4 runs the games but the Vita is the input/output.

I disagree. You can use a wireless controller and you would be fine. You are going to be sitting close to the tablet so it would work out great.

and I disagree with that, i already use my wireless ps3 remote to play my emulators on my tablet and there's no easy way to get in a comfortable position for that. so it's not as great as you'd think
1 person likes this

Seems sensible to me. Sony wants to find anyway to boost the poor Vita sales, this just might help.

You want to bump sales, lower the price of the memory cards to near cost. Your customers will reward you through spending money on the actual games, not the storage required to hold them. I like the Vita, but I'm not paying for space to store what I'm buying from them. It was a stupid decision on Sony's part to use proprietary memory cards!

i'd agree w/ this. 1st, anything less than the 32GB card on the Vita is terrible. Once you start downloading games and demos, it fills up fast. Also, Sony needs to put out a 64GB card soon too, for like $30. Sony will never learn that proprietary memory cards arent viable. it's ridiculous.

i, for one, applaud the idea of remote play for all PS4 games. it's a pleasure to play the few games available on the PS3. I played GoW2 on my Vita, and it was awesome.