ASUS RT-N16 problems

I have a problem only when i watch TV on my PC (multicast over lan). If I'm watching TV on my computer, usually I can't connect to the wifi or the wifi is extremely slow and usually doesn't open anything.

I have the latest beta firmware now, previously I had the latest stable firmware, but it was the same. I think that I didn't have this problem with older fws, but I'm not sure.

Anyone had the same problem and how did you resolve it ?

Thanks for your help.

noone ?

do you at least now which is the best firmware for this crappy router ?

Might be a buggy wireless driver. Have you tried clearing the nvram by doing a 30/30/30 reset? If not, give it a go. If it doesn't help, do trial and error with older firmware, obviously going back in date order.

Might be a buggy wireless driver. Have you tried clearing the nvram by doing a 30/30/30 reset? If not, give it a go. If it doesn't help, do trial and error with older firmware, obviously going back in date order.

Can you tell me more about 30/30/30 ?

@Skynetz:

1. when the unit is powered on, hold down its reset button for 30 seconds

2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds

3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more second

http://compnetworkin...for-routers.htm

Use the restore button then.

I tried and it didn't work, than found this:
[NOTE] - For Asus units, the standard 30/30/30 method will reset the router but you will need to use the Restore button followed by a Power cycle. The only exception (so far) is the RT-N16 model, follow the same method as stated above but use the WPS button instead of the Restore button. If all else fails to reset you can also do it by command line (all units). Login to the router via telnet/ssh and issue the command "erase nvram". This will reset the nvram partition to defaults for this Make of router.....redhawk

And did this. But this didn't help. It's the same as before, if I use IPTV with multicast enabled on my PC, I can't connect to wifi, if the wifi is magickly connected from before or smth, than its super slow :/

I flashed on the latest dd-wrt today and it the same ****, what's wrong with this box ? :crazy:

post-487600-0-63132000-1370111287.png

this is after 15min of watching tv on my pc. The errors keep coming constantly if you watch tv, if not, there are no errors.

We use multicast imaging at work, and it's hell on the wireless. Not sure if it's multicast in general, especially on a small network. Can you set it to unicast and see if it helps?

We use multicast imaging at work, and it's hell on the wireless. Not sure if it's multicast in general, especially on a small network. Can you set it to unicast and see if it helps?

How is this done ? Will IPTV even work if multcast is off ?

I don't understand why the wifi goes mad if i use iptv via multicast, because I use it over cable, not wifi.

• 1 year later...

I have had nothing but problems with my Asus RT-N-16.  I have NEVER had Windows 8.1 crash (BSOD) until I installed the current drivers on the Asus support website.  I have a laser printer connected to the RT-N-16 USB port.  Whenever I turn on the printer it causes Windows 8.1 to get flaky and crash.  I have tried stepping back to older Asus drivers, but have the same problem - BSODs.  I have to get my job ready to print wit the printer off, run into the other room to turn on the printer and shut the printer off before my computer BSODs.  It's not a problem with the printer driver.  All is fine when the printer is directly connected to the computer.  Any ideas?

"I have a problem only when i watch TV on my PC (multicast over lan). If I'm watching TV on my computer, usually I can't connect to the wifi or the wifi is extremely slow and usually doesn't open anything."

"I don't understand why the wifi goes mad if i use iptv via multicast, because I use it over cable, not wifi. "

Because its Multicast!!! So it goes everywhere!!! Even wireless!! So you are sending out thousands of packets to watch your TV over the wireless network as well even if nobody wanting to watch it on the wireless. Your wireless network is limited in bandwidth and shared for every client.

What you want to do if you can not disable the multicast, is segment your wireless so its not on the same broadcast domain. Now your lan (wire) that can handle the multicast traffic watching TV doesn't go over wireless..

This might help

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_IPTV_without_impact_to_LAN_and_Wireless_traffic

IPTV - blocking multicast on WIFI

Or maybe your fancy native asus firmware has this ability built in [ comment directed at hawkman from comments in another thread about dd-wrt ;) ]