22 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 19:56

EA removing Online Pass requirement for existing games
by John Callaham

Earlier this month, Electronic Arts announced that it would no longer put in Online Pass requirements for its future games, stating that the format was not well liked by gamers. Now there's word that the publisher is in the process of removing Online Pass support for the current games that have that feature.

In a statement to Game Informer, EA said, "Players will see it first with some EA Sports titles, where a prompt to enter an Online Pass code will no longer appear in-game; with other titles we are simply making Online Passes available free of charge online. These are rolling updates that are taking effect over the next several weeks."

This new move should please EA game owners, especially those who own used games where the included Online Pass code has already been activated. A few years ago, EA joined with other publishers by putting in Online Pass support for games that had multiplayer features. The idea was that gamers who bought a new game got the Online Pass code for free but players who bought a used game would have to pay money to get the Online Pass, which allowed them to play the game online along with downloads of DLC packs.

Source: Game Informer | Image via EA

#2 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,628 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 20:12

Hate it that being greedy didn't work out for you.

#3 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,620 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 22:53

EA still being the nice guy? Incredible. (And a welcome change too)

#4 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• 1,641 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 30 May 2013 - 23:03

Waiiiiiit for it..... waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit for it.....

#5 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• 1,808 posts
  • Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 30 May 2013 - 23:07

Too late. I'll try my hardest to skip EA & ubisoft published titles after all the crap they've managed to lump on us so far. There are plenty of other great titles to enjoy without the need to support these loonies.

#6 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,841 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 30 May 2013 - 23:19

So wait a minute, you're saying I can now play BF3 without needing to pay for the stupid multi-player?

Do I squeak out a lil :woot: now or should I wait and see? :p

#7 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• 1,819 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 30 May 2013 - 23:26

Pftt a little bit to late EA, screw you!! Welcome change anyway.

#8 cammy

cammy

Neowinian

• 869 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 23:43

Well done EA, keep it up, Hopefully they turn themselves around and become loved again, I hate what they did to the industry and development teams (anyone remember criterion that made black?, one of the best games ever).then EA bought them out and under utilised them, like all developers, even DICE struggled under EA for years.

But EA stepped up their game in a few departments (pun intended) and I hope they continue to do so, less Microtransactions, less deadlines, more TLC for games and I'm sure we'll all forgive EA eventually :)

#9 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,427 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 23:46

But this won´t change the always on DRM right?

#10 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,113 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 00:01

But this won´t change the always on DRM right?

Nope. Just remove the system they put in place that put up online play barriers against players who purchased an EA game used.

I've been avoiding as many EA games as I can but it is hard because they are just so massive in terms of size and IP. Their name is so heavily tainted by just terrible game released, lousy support, abusive consumer practices (like this), and nickle-and-dimming content to customers. They put out a good title every once in awhile, but I usually miss those because I don't like EA as a publisher.

#11 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,735 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 00:07

So wait a minute, you're saying I can now play BF3 without needing to pay for the stupid multi-player?

Do I squeak out a lil :woot: now or should I wait and see? :p

I'm confused. You could always play BF3 single player without it's "stupid multi-player".

#12 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 00:17

EA got their cash cow lined up so don't need to gouge anymore

#13 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 00:52

I really hope Ubisoft removes their setup now that EA has chosen to. I was disappoint to find I had to pay more money to play a game I just bought. (ghost recon future solder)

I'm confused. You could always play BF3 single player without it's "stupid multi-player".

The battlefield single player is sooo bad, as in not fun and uncooked compared to other current singleplayer games.
The single player is definitely not worth the cost of the game, but most people buy the game just for the multiplayer.

#14 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,841 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 May 2013 - 00:54

Yeah I could, It's "stupid multi-player" because I couldn't play it.... you know... like a child that doesn't get what they want so they stomp their feet and say it's prolly stupid anyways? Yeah... that was me then. :p

Yeah, single player wasn't the issue obviously - I got the game though to play with a friend on MP but couldn't unless I ponied up the cash... it's been sitting collecting dust since then (I always planned on playing the SP Campaign as I usually enjoy those too anyways, just never got around to it).

#15 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:00

I really hope Ubisoft removes their setup now that EA has chosen to. I was disappoint to find I had to pay more money to play a game I just bought. (ghost recon future solder)

The battlefield single player is sooo bad, as in not fun and uncooked compared to other current singleplayer games.
The single player is definitely not worth the cost of the game, but most people buy the game just for the multiplayer.

Yeah I could, It's "stupid multi-player" because I couldn't play it....
Yeah, single player wasn't the issue obviously - I got the game though to play with a friend on MP but couldn't unless I ponied up the cash...

I still don't understand... if you have the game you can play "singleplayer" and "multiplayer" with your friend unless you don't have xbox live gold or an internet connection. Unless of course you are talking about the map packs, but that is completely different and you could still play with your friend he just couldn't play the new maps.

BF3 doesn't have an online pass.