2014 BMW X5 officially unveiled

2014 BMW X5 officially unveiled

Goes on sale in November

BMW has officially unveiled the 2014 X5, following this afternoon's leak.

Looking instantly recognizable, the redesigned crossover has evolutionary styling which closely mimics the outgoing model.

Despite the d?j? vu design, the 2014 X5 has a more prominent grille, an aerodynamic front bumper and optional LED adaptive headlights. Other touches include rear "Aero Blades" and new "Air Curtains" that promise to reduce drag by routing air around the wheel arches.

The interior is pretty familiar but adopts higher quality materials and an improved design. Key features include LED ambient lighting, a freestanding iDrive display, gloss black accents and Oxide Silver, Aluminum Hexagon or Poplar Grain wood trim. Due to the model's increased dimensions, there's additional interior room and a more accommodating boot that can hold up to 1,870 liters (66 cubic feet) of luggage.

Options include comfort / sport seats, a reclining second row and heated / ventilated front seats. The model can also be equipped with four-zone automatic climate control, a third row seat, a Harman Kardon or Bang & Olufsen audio system as well as a new rear seat entertainment system with two "tablet-style" displays.

At launch, the model will be offered with three different engines. The X5 xDrive50i features a twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 that develops 450 HP (330 kW) and 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) of torque. It enables the model to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 5.0 seconds, before hitting a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph). In terms of efficiency, owners can expect to average 10.4 - 10.5 L/100km (26.9 - 27.2 mpg UK / 22.4 - 22.6 mpg US) with CO2 emissions of 242 to 244 g/km.

Next up, the X5 xDrive30d has a 3.0-liter TwinPower Turbo six-cylinder diesel engine that churns out 258 HP (190 kW) and 560 Nm (413 lb-ft) of torque. This allows the crossover to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 6.9 seconds and hit a top speed of 230 km/h (143 mph). Thanks to its fuel-efficient engine, the X5 xDrive30d averages 6.2 L/100km (45.6 mpg UK / 37.9 mpg US) with CO2 emissions of 162 to 164 g/km.

Lastly, the X5 M50d has a tri-turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder diesel engine which produces 381 HP (280 kW) and 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) of torque. It enables the model to run from 0-100 km/h in 5.3 seconds and hit a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph). Despite the impressive performance, the model returns 6.7 L/100km (42.2 mpg UK / 35.1 mpg US) and has CO2 emissions of 177 g/km.

On the handling front, BMW offers a variety of suspension packages. The Dynamic adaptive suspension package comes with Dynamic Drive active roll stabilization, while the Comfort active suspension package has a rear air suspension and Dynamic Damper Control. If those choices sound like two different extremes, the Professional adaptive suspension package promises to deliver the best of both worlds as it combines the features of Comfort and Dynamic suspension packages. Lastly, ordering the M Sport package equips the model with an Adaptive M suspension that has Dynamic Damper Control, a rear air suspension and sportier tuning all-around.

The 2014 BMW X5 will be built in Spartanburg, South Carolina and Germany deliveries are scheduled for November.

1683143947239153850.jpg

1604993371278242514.jpg

19021919841871955058.jpg

1788371794293734848.jpg

1638073608917574495.jpg

meh :/

Agreed. The original X5, which I was fortunate enough to own,had timeless design. It still remains my favorite when compared to her "off-springs".

This one just looks like they needed to update it for the sake of updating, to follow the business cycle or something else.

i wonder if they'll ever get around to improving the interior, at least the cluttered infotainment panel. at least take some inspiration from its german competitors...

Blech, the whole front end just looks wrong. Fog lights out of position, weird intake below grille - why not just move the license plate holder, and make the bottom intakes bigger? Also, move the fog lights to where the belong (on the botton intakes!)

Blech, the whole front end just looks wrong. Fog lights out of position, weird intake below grille - why not just move the license plate holder, and make the bottom intakes bigger? Also, move the fog lights to where the belong (on the botton intakes!)

Yeah that's the first thing I thought about the Fog lights, those should definitely be down way lower.

They seem to keep upgrading the X5 aesthetically but christ does it have a hell of a lot of common faults, electrics & suspension wise. Pnuematic suspension on these has been causing problems for a good 5 years now..

:x It's digusting like all of these fake 4x4, they cannot go off road, so therefore the whole car is pointless from the moment you turn it on, people buy them to be higher up and think it's safe to take their kids to school.

I hate the car, I hate the fakeness, I hate the inability to do anhything off road & I hate the type of people who buys these things, poor people

See these people daily, hence the massive hatred >_< philistines!

• 5 weeks later...

i wonder if they'll ever get around to improving the interior, at least the cluttered infotainment panel. at least take some inspiration from its german competitors...

what are you on about.. it's not cluttered, BMW practically invented the computer orientated interface in cars. iDrive is the benchmark imo.

The grill is terrible.  The rest looks meh.

The interior looks alright.

yeah i kinda agree.. ii've owned a number of BMWs over the years but the new ones coming out right now are seriously lacking imo..

bring back bangle i say :D

What happened to the 3.5 litre petrol version?  I take it they just dropped that in preference to the diesel version.

i don't imagine it sold terribly well, no proof of this though!

imo the car buying public are more and more falling into two broad categories these days... the first is a cost concious get lots of MPG, want lower tax etc and they are going to go for the diesel power plants without too much coaxing. Then there are the money no object consumers who will just lump for the mental 5l petrol and take the hit... i mean the road tax is enough to put me off, let alone the fuel bills.

Just going to be fewer and fewer people wanting petrol engines going forward, especially in this market segment.

There might be more petrol engines to come later on in the life-cycle..

i don't imagine it sold terribly well, no proof of this though!

imo the car buying public are more and more falling into two broad categories these days... the first is a cost concious get lots of MPG, want lower tax etc and they are going to go for the diesel power plants without too much coaxing. Then there are the money no object consumers who will just lump for the mental 5l petrol and take the hit... i mean the road tax is enough to put me off, let alone the fuel bills.

Just going to be fewer and fewer people wanting petrol engines going forward, especially in this market segment.

There might be more petrol engines to come later on in the life-cycle..

Perhaps in the UK, but in the US diesel is quite a bit more expensive than petrol. The MPG increase does not usually offset the cost difference between petrol and diesel.

to clarify diesel engine cars and the fuel itself are both more expensive than petrol in the UK.

the annual taxation though is vastly cheaper, and you can go a hell of a lot further on a litre on diesel than you can petrol :)

as for MPG not offsetting it, depends how many miles you do per annum doesn't it

This has to be the worst-looking BMW I've ever seen.

• 3 months later...

I have a BMW X5. It's been a great car but I was hoping for more improvements for this next gen., especially on the off-road side where like someone else pointed out, it's a fake off-road vehicle. It's more akin to a masculine version of a mini van which is basically what I use it for.

I'm probably going to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee next.

I think the Pontiac Aztec looks better than the X5 :D

Pontiac-Aztek_Rally_2004_1024x768_wallpa