Google must obey FBI's warrantless requests for user data for now

Google's attempts to fight FBI National Security Letters, controversial requests to hand over user data without telling them and without getting a search warrant, aren't going so well. A US District Court Judge in California recently rejected Google's petition to have 19 letters requesting user information thrown out or adjusted, CNET reports. However, there is a silver lining for Google and its users: the federal judge in the case, Susan Illston, also left the door open for Google to file a more narrowly-tailored petition addressing the specific letters it had received, rather than its initial arguments against NSLs more generally.

IIllston is the same judge who earlier this year ruled that NSLs as presently written, and the attached gag orders that prevent companies from publicly describing the letters, are unconstitutional. But because that matter is still being appealed, the documents in the newer Google case still remain under seal. Illston is also stepping down in July, making it unlikely she will be the one to decide the final outcome of this case.

Separately from this case, Google in March moved to share more information with the public about how many NSLs it has received from the government, but has so far only offered vague estimates in its regular Transparency Reports, not specific numbers of NSLs or types of user information being requested. NSLs have been around since the 1980s, but have only begun to be seriously challenged in the courts in the past few years, as reporters and the privacy advocates have learned of the FBI's increasing usage of the tool in the wake of the September 11th, 2001 terror attacks. Some 300,000 NSLs have been sent out since 2000, according to Wired.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/31/4383048/google-must-obey-fbis-warrantless-requests-for-user-data-for-now

I swear other countries have more freedoms compared to the US.

Well yeah, i expect its one of the least free countries in the world. More laws and more enforcement is the price you have to pay for a "civilized" society.

Well yeah, i expect its one of the least free countries in the world. More laws and more enforcement is the price you have to pay for a "civilized" society.

I agree on that but things aren't that democratic as it supposed to be, lately the people who have more money then the rest are pullings the strings (media corporations as example) :/

I agree on that but things aren't that democratic as it supposed to be, lately the people who have more money then the rest are pullings the strings (media corporations as example) :/

Not just lately, its been that way for thousands of years. :(

I do not agree with what they are making Google do however, if the Court is making them do it, is that not the same thing as a warrant?

And this is why companies and government organizations can't use google services, especially with google following US law on this no matter what country you or the organization/department is in.

It's scary the way in which due process no longer seems to apply to the FBI.

Millionaires, billionaires and corporations are the new aristocracy, using their influence to dictate government policy. It's always been about money and influence. The difference now is that US politicians are completely shameless in their support for corporations, even when they are being investigated for tax evasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vfTulHaHQ

It's absolutely disgusting and is quite stark in comparison to the grilling that companies get in the UK, where Google?which is also being investigating over tax evasion?was described as "evil".

And that's absolutely not to defend the UK, which is hopelessly in bed with corporations and lets them get away with avoiding paying billions of pounds in tax. The UK government could turn around tomorrow and require companies to pay a flat tax based on revenue generated in the UK, yet?like the US and other countries?does nothing to address the widespread abuse of the system. It's disgusting that people at the bottom of society are getting squeezed while multi-billion pound corporations are paying an effective tax rate of less than 2%.

If companies want to compete in a market they should pay the appropriate tax rate. If Google, Amazon or Apple don't want to operate in a country because of the tax rate then they can move aside for a business that will (and there will be many of them).

I swear other countries have more freedoms compared to the US.

As a canadian the US sounds like a HORRIBLE place to live. Horrible unemployment,horrible education costs, horrible healthcare, major political polarization..no gay marriage(social issues in the US are 30 years behind canada).

I know your media bashes our healthcare etc, but we love it. We also dont cry that we have 12%+ taxes in some parts because that money is spent on us.

Freedom in the US seems like a myth really.

• Like 2

^you can lay low,

stop using any google service with your existing login info.

erase any trace of that login info from your computer, cookies, flash .sol files, etc ...

creates completely fictious data for you new login.

It's absolutely disgusting and is quite stark in comparison to the grilling that companies get in the UK, where Google?which is also being investigating over tax evasion?was described as "evil".

And that's absolutely not to defend the UK, which is hopelessly in bed with corporations and lets them get away with avoiding paying billions of pounds in tax. The UK government could turn around tomorrow and require companies to pay a flat tax based on revenue generated in the UK, yet?like the US and other countries?does nothing to address the widespread abuse of the system. It's disgusting that people at the bottom of society are getting squeezed while multi-billion pound corporations are paying an effective tax rate of less than 2%.

That Woman severely irritates me. If I'd have been there I'd have asked "If you can point out what laws we are breaking, go ahead and fine us". Google is breaking no laws, they are perfectly in their right to do what they currently do. The law is a clearcut set of do's and don'ts. Whining that Google is being morally wrong is pointless. Don't punish Google for doing nothing wrong, fix the loophole that they've brought to light.

what you going to do about it ? ...you cant do anything...

The sad part about that is you're right. I'd switch to a different provider, but I'm just way too far into Google's ecosystem. :/

And this is why companies and government organizations can't use google services, especially with google following US law on this no matter what country you or the organization/department is in.

This is why the US government and American corporations shouldn't be trusted full stop.

The sad part about that is you're right. I'd switch to a different provider, but I'm just way too far into Google's ecosystem. :/

its not just google though? its the american system its self... the patriot act and so forth... bill clinton took a massive dump on america and now obama is trying to take an even bigger one next to it (and succeeding ) you americans have no freedom any more :/ its like the matrix... you are allowed to believe you are free... but you are not. "land of the free" BAH land of the ignorance

• Like 1

i hear america is a bad place to be. if i didnt get disability money from the fact that americas yellow journalism covering for the fact that mercury amalgams maim people like me. id probably move to canada. well, if the mercury and sleep deprivation didnt destroy so much of my brain that my test scores as well as destroy so much of my immune system to be able to manage the functional aspect of moving on and setting up my life in canada. what was i talking about? im hungry, and stupid. god bless america.

its not just google though? its the american system its self... the patriot act and so forth... bill clinton took a massive dump on america and now obama is trying to take an even bigger one next to it (and succeeding ) you americans have no freedom any more :/ its like the matrix... you are allowed to believe you are free... but you are not. "land of the free" BAH land of the ignorance

haha. I'll agree with you on that--but Bush senior was the first to take a dump on us. :D Have you ever seen V for Vendetta? I think we're slowly transitioning into that type of society.

• Like 1

^you can lay low,

stop using any google service with your existing login info.

erase any trace of that login info from your computer, cookies, flash .sol files, etc ...

creates completely fictious data for you new login.

Doesn't work. google will track you as soon as you visit a site that uses any google services anyway. It's been written about their algorithms that are used to recognize you across sites and services and link all your traffic and info to the same "anonymous" profile before years ago, it's not like these have gotten worse.

yes that is true. I saw they recommended for me like zelda, star wars, and others when I was on youtube by google.