Nvidia video cards SLI

No. You can use 2 different cards in SLI mode but they have to be from the same series (EG you could use an 8600 and an 8800 but not an 8600 and a 9600)

Ah right.. I'll just wait till im pushing the limits of my 670 then sell it for the next gen then :)

I think you can, but the 680 is going to clock down to 670 speeds if you do that.

This is correct. If you do use two similar cards, both will inherit the specifications of the slowest card in the configuration.

I ran SLi for about 2 years, and while I generally liked it, it was a bit of a pain in the ass doing so. Some new games would not get an SLi profile right at launch, so would have to manually create one, which was easy enough, but just one extra step. I just felt like the support was not fully there. So I sold them to get a single card solution equal to what I had, and I have been a happy camper ever since.

I might go ahead and do it again once my card drops in price just to get that extra performance, but for now I prefer a single card solution. Just less work overall.