florida cell phone footage choking resisting arrest disorderly conduct

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,886 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 23:25

New cell phone footage shows Miami-Dade Police officers aggressively pinning an unarmed teen to the ground while choking him. His alleged crime: giving the officers “dehumanizing stares” and “clenching his fists.” :huh:

Fourteen-year-old Tremaine McMillan says he was feeding his puppy and playing on the beach with some friends when cops riding ATVs approached him and asked what he was doing. The "peacekeeping" officers say they saw McMillan roughhousing with another teenager, told him it was “unacceptable behavior,” and asked where his mother was. When McMillan walked away, they chased him on ATVs, jumped out, pinned him to the ground and arrested him. According to police reports, McMillan “attempted to pull his arm away, stating, 'Man, don't touch me like I did something.'

McMillan says he obeyed orders, and was leading the officers towards his mother when they jumped him. The teen adds that he was holding and feeding his puppy at the time, who got injured during the encounter.

“I don’t like it. I feel sad. He got in front of me on the ATC and he slammed my hand,” McMillan said. “Then he started choking me. Then my 6-week old Pit Bull mix named Polo got hurt and bruised his front paw when the police grabbed me and slammed me down. It makes me feel sad.”

Miami-Dade Police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta justified the use of force, saying McMillan was exhibiting threatening “body language,” which includes “clenched fists.” McMillan adamantly denies this charge because, well, he was holding a puppy.

“Of course we have to neutralize the threat in front of us,” said Zabaleta. “And when you have somebody that is being resistant, somebody that is pulling away from you, somebody that’s clenching their fist, somebody that’s flaring their arms, that’s the immediate threat.”

McMillan’s mother, Maurissa Holmes saw the incident and recorded it on her cell phone. She told WSVN-TV, "I ran over there and said, 'That's my son, that's my son. Can you get off of him? He can't breathe.'

Police charged McMillan with resisting arrest, a felony, and disorderly conduct. The teen’s attorney entered a plea of not guilty for his client and asked the court to reconsider the charges. The judge did not grant him his request.

McMillan’s 6-week old puppy, who suffers an injured front paw, did not make the police report.

“At this point we are not concerned with a puppy,” said Zabaleta. :/

source & video

Attached Images

• screen_shot.png

#2 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,511 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 31 May 2013 - 23:34

When McMillan walked away,

...Shouldn't have walked away...

#3 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,054 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 23:40

The "peacekeeping" officers say they saw McMillan roughhousing with another teenager, told him it was “unacceptable behavior,” and asked where his mother was. When McMillan walked away, they chased him on ATVs, jumped out, pinned him to the ground and arrested him. According to police reports, McMillan “attempted to pull his arm away, stating, 'Man, don't touch me like I did something.'

And this is news because? Oh I see it's one of those civil liberty sites with an agenda.

#4 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,598 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 23:42

The video... The reporter at the end... Doing his best Dustin Hoffman over that contrazoom? Hoo ha!

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,886 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 23:47

The cops are white --- I'm shocked.

#6 mwc

mwc

Neowinian

• 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 23:58

He should have not walked away or made it very clear he was talking towards his mother.

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,697 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 00:02

Shouldnt have walked away without saying anything. Thats what his problem was. And what the hell was the mother doing recording this and not helping first? Seriously messed up.

And I am sure this is going to be turned in a race issue as well.

#8 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,923 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 00:02

What a gussied up way of saying "he looked at me the wrong way."

#9 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,886 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 00:09

^ I think the kid is a vampire.

#10 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 7,835 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 01 June 2013 - 00:19

What's with the pit bulls?

#11 SPEhosting

SPEhosting

C++ n00b

• 2,828 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 00:26

serves him right ... sounds like a brat who needs a bit of punishment for him mother... but of course this is going to be made into a race issue... its already a race issue cause the title has BLACK - KID in the title... could have just been KID.... the black part is irrelevant...

#12 slapfacemcdougal

slapfacemcdougal

Neowinian

• 164 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 00:27

Shouldnt have walked away without saying anything. Thats what his problem was.

Why was that a problem? he didn't have to tell the cops anything.

#13 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Neowinian

• 3,951 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 01 June 2013 - 00:30

You'd think Americans especially would know that yet here are a few lost souls defending the illegal actions of an overzealous beach cop, sad how low we've gotten

#14 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,697 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 00:38

No, he didnt have to. But from what the article said, he wasnt doing anything wrong so what the attitude and walking away from the cops? Not saying the copy was right, but could of been avoided by saying something. After all, the kid said he was talking them to his mom so why didnt he just say it?

You'd think Americans especially would know that yet here are a few lost souls defending the illegal actions of an overzealous beach cop, sad how low we've gotten

I wasnt defending the cop...dont assume I was. I was pointing out that this could of been avoided if he would of just said something instead of walking away. But now, its an issue and I wouldnt be surprised if it turns into a race issue now.

sounds like a brat who needs a bit of punishment for him mother...

What is with the mother? If it was my kid being harassed by the cops and choked, I wouldnt be filming it.

#15 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 855 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:23

No, he didnt have to. But from what the article said, he wasnt doing anything wrong so what the attitude and walking away from the cops? Not saying the copy was right, but could of been avoided by saying something. After all, the kid said he was talking them to his mom so why didnt he just say it?

I wasnt defending the cop...dont assume I was. I was pointing out that this could of been avoided if he would of just said something instead of walking away. But now, its an issue and I wouldnt be surprised if it turns into a race issue now.

What is with the mother? If it was my kid being harassed by the cops and choked, I wouldn't be filming it.

I would film it... you need proof you know. What are you going to do, attack the cop? Call more cops? Use your words against a cop in front of a judge? Please tell me, PLEASE!

Also, NO, he didn't need to say ****. <-- see that symbol right there, exactly a period, HE DIDN'T HAVE TO SAY **** PERIOD! (the point I'm trying to make is no situation should of happened just because he carried on with his day)

Unless you are being detained, you DON'T HAVE TO SAY ****. Why do you think respect has to be given to people who won't respect you?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!