florida cell phone footage choking resisting arrest disorderly conduct

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,685 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:41

I would film it... you need proof you know. What are you going to do, attack the cop? Call more cops? Use your words against a cop in front of a judge? Please tell me, PLEASE!

Call me crazy, but if I see my kid being harmed, no matter who it is, I am defending him. I dont care if it is a cop, or whoever. And if that means I get in trouble, so be it. However, my kids wouldnt do that because I teach them to respect and listen to the police unless they are being accused of something big. This kid obviously didnt respect the cop first by turning and walking away from them. Respect goes both ways.

Unless you are being detained, you DON'T HAVE TO SAY ****. Why do you think respect has to be given to people who won't respect you?

Again, the kid disrespected the officer first. And you are right, he didnt have to say anything but more often than not, the people who dont say anything either have a chip on their shoulder, or something to hide. Was the cop using excessive force, yes...but if the kid was innocent like he said, he should of said something. And yes, protect your rights but be smart to know when to do so and when it is worth it.

#17 Damien

Damien

d(^-^)b

• 374 posts
  • Phone: Artic Blue S4 Mini

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:57

Respect goes both ways as was mentioned. Don't walk off on someone because you won't like it if they did the same to you, and don't jump anyone because you don't like how they look at you, maybe they have eye issues or you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. (:

#18 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 1,053 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:02

Call me crazy, but if I see my kid being harmed, no matter who it is, I am defending him. I dont care if it is a cop, or whoever. And if that means I get in trouble, so be it. However, my kids wouldnt do that because I teach them to respect and listen to the police unless they are being accused of something big. This kid obviously didnt respect the cop first by turning and walking away from them. Respect goes both ways.

Again, the kid disrespected the officer first. And you are right, he didnt have to say anything but more often than not, the people who dont say anything either have a chip on their shoulder, or something to hide. Was the cop using excessive force, yes...but if the kid was innocent like he said, he should of said something. And yes, protect your rights but be smart to know when to do so and when it is worth it.

:/ He shouldn't need to protect his rights.... His rights should be inalienable... he should be able to just 'use his rights'.

I've seen what happens when you get involved in fights with police, unless you have videos, you lose, risk vs reward. They most likely won't kill or injure your son for 'disrespect'; and getting injured, handcuffed, fined, and humiliated with a bad record isn't worth the trouble long term. But you can 'defend' legally, by suing the officers and getting justice, you know the legal way? This also ensures a better future for your children, less bad cops, and some money for college. (note I say all this now, as I'm not currently a father, I'm pretty sure I'd go stomp some cop ass too if they were beating my children in front of me, but this is technically the correct path for everyone)

Respect goes both ways as was mentioned. Don't walk off on someone because you won't like it if they did the same to you, and don't jump anyone because you don't like how they look at you, maybe they have eye issues or you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. (:

Disrespect, walking away when not being detained, is not an arrestable offense as far as I know...

#19 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,976 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:05

I'm not sure why there's an argument here, though.

The kid could have avoided this, the cop should also be fired for use of excessive force and police dept. should change their policies and stop defending this, and the kid is going to live and be okay.

#20 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,685 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:05

:/ He shouldn't need to protect his rights.... His rights should be inalienable... he should be able to just 'use his rights'.

Just saying, all he had to do was say "my mom is over here" and avoided the whole thing.

I've seen what happens when you get involved in fights with police, unless you have videos, you lose, risk vs reward.

And that is fine. At least he knows that I stand by him. Chances are, someone would of recorded it anyway. Everyone has a camera phone these days.

#21 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:08

black person be harassed by cops, I think that's a fair sentence to sum up the article. Its a good thing they didn't have a firehose or taser with them.

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:21

Sounds like the cops were being douche bags to me.

#23 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,288 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:22

Next time, just let Black cops arrest black people. It won't make to the news.

#24 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,976 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:30

Next time, just let Black cops arrest black people. It won't make to the news.

That still makes news, the reports just leave out the fact that one of the cops was black. In this case, it looks like one of the cops was hispanic -- or at least that's the detective who was interviewed -- but people are still going to make it into a whites vs blacks issue.