Yahoo Shuts Down Mail Classic, Forces Switch To New Version

Yahoo Shuts Down Mail Classic, Forces Switch To New Version That Scans Your Emails To Target Ads

yahoo-mail-classic-discontinued.png?w=300

Starting the week of June 3rd, tomorrow, Yahoo is discontinuing Mail Classic. It?s requiring all Mail users to switch to the new version of Mail and accept a TOS/Privacy Policy update that lets it scan emails to ?deliver product features, relevant advertising, and abuse protection?. You can opt out of the ads, but if you don?t want to be scanned, you have to ditch Yahoo Mail.

Yahoo launched the new version of Mail in December, and announced the discontinuation of Classic back in April. However, it didn?t mention anything about the new terms of service and privacy policy until it just began sending Classic users an email about having to switch. In an aptly named Help center entry ?Do I have to upgrade to the new Yahoo! Mail??, the company explains

Beginning the week of June 3, 2013, older versions of Yahoo! Mail (including Yahoo! Mail Classic) will no longer be available. After that, you can access your Yahoo! Mail only if you upgrade to the new version. When you upgrade, you will be accepting our Communications Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. This includes the acceptance of automated content scanning and analyzing of your communications content.

Those who upgrade can opt out of contextual ads through Yahoo?s Ad Manager. Yahoo bluntly tells users who refuse its new policies that they should either download their mail to another IMAP client, or close their account. Premium Mail Plus users who want to cancel their accounts can get a prorated refund.

new-yahoo-mail.png?w=590&h=388

Some are labeling the switch an aggressive invasion of privacy. An anonymous Jottit user writes ?Yahoo can now openly troll through email for personal information that it can share or hold onto indefinitely. Gay and haven?t come out yet? Yahoo knows.?

However, as commenters on Hacker News note, Gmail has long scanned your email to show you related ads. Even if you use a system like StartMail that doesn?t scan your messages, the system your conversation partners use might not be so hands-off. And as many warn, anything you send in an email could end up public, so keep the naughty stuff off the web.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/02/yahoo-shuts-down-mail-classic/

I dont use Yahoo but it does look nice...

My ISP uses Yahoo as their inbox and it recently changed, but I am a Gmail guy

My Yahoo! Mail account is largely unused. To be honest I don't recall when I last actively used it.

My ISP uses Yahoo as their inbox and it recently changed, but I am a Gmail guy

Wow i dont even remember when was the last time i used an ISP email..... :)

Wow i dont even remember when was the last time i used an ISP email..... :)

Oh I have for over 7 years but I get it forwarded to Gmail

Oh I have for over 7 years but I get it forwarded to Gmail

I've been moving a lot in the past 10 years, different countries, different locations and different ISP's so i never bothered with the ISP email.

I have Gmail since June 2004 and it's been my main email address. In addition i have few more address for other use but it's all being forwarded to my Gmail.

Looks like it's time to close my old YIM e-mail address then. Is it possible to register a non yahoo address with YIM like you used to be able to with MSN?

Looks like it's time to close my old YIM e-mail address then. Is it possible to register a non yahoo address with YIM like you used to be able to with MSN?

I don't know they used to have @rocketmail.com domain

Wow i remember rocketmail.com as an independent mail service :D It was one of the first.

I'm sure i had an account there at some point. It was a time when i registered to anything i possibly could over the internet :D :D :D

its over reliance to javascripts & ajax, so on sucky connection day:

- i can compose email but i can't even attach files,

- i can view email but i can't download attachment,

- i can not search email, the search term were forwarded the search to web search instead,

- i can not click the email checkbox for other action, its open the email instead.

I don't know they used to have @rocketmail.com domain

Rocketmail was one of the first major free email service. It was then acquired by yahoo, who decided to keep the @rocketmail.com domain.

As far as I know no.

I have 5 or 6 Yahoo accounts and I think I'm going to Gmail completely. I don't want someone scanning my personal mail. Yahoo just the other day lost an account with 28 million customers in Europe because of them not protecting email.

I have 5 or 6 Yahoo accounts and I think I'm going to Gmail completely. I don't want someone scanning my personal mail. Yahoo just the other day lost an account with 28 million customers in Europe because of them not protecting email.

Didn't you read the article? Good ol' Gmail has scanned your e-mail long before Yahoo decided to. Exactly why I don't touch ANYTHING Google or Gmail! Not that great of crap anyway.

I've used Yahoo since 1997 and have never had an issue although the spam has really been coming through lately. Guess it's just time to go with the flow as I've been able to stop Yahoo from updating up until now.

Have ALWAYS used my ISP's mail also, but usually only for more official type stuff. Have so many different e-mail accounts, e-mail is never an issue anyway!