Astronomers Find First Evidence Of Other Universes

Astronomers Find First Evidence Of Other Universes

Our cosmos was ?bruised? in collisions with other universes. Now astronomers have found the first evidence of these impacts in the cosmic microwave background

Eternal%20inflation.png

There?s something exciting afoot in the world of cosmology. Last month, Roger Penrose at the University of Oxford and Vahe Gurzadyan at Yerevan State University in Armenia announced that they had found patterns of concentric circles in the cosmic microwave background, the echo of the Big Bang.

This, they say, is exactly what you?d expect if the universe were eternally cyclical. By that, they mean that each cycle ends with a big bang that starts the next cycle. In this model, the universe is a kind of cosmic Russian Doll, with all previous universes contained within the current one.

That?s an extraordinary discovery: evidence of something that occurred before the (conventional) Big Bang.

Today, another group says they?ve found something else in the echo of the Big Bang. These guys start with a different model of the universe called eternal inflation. In this way of thinking, the universe we see is merely a bubble in a much larger cosmos. This cosmos is filled with other bubbles, all of which are other universes where the laws of physics may be dramatically different to ours.

These bubbles probably had a violent past, jostling together and leaving ?cosmic bruises? where they touched. If so, these bruises ought to be visible today in the cosmic microwave background.

Now Stephen Feeney at University College London and a few pals say they?ve found tentative evidence of this bruising in the form of circular patterns in cosmic microwave background. In fact, they?ve found four bruises, implying that our universe must have smashed into other bubbles at least four times in the past.

Again, this is an extraordinary result: the first evidence of universes beyond our own.

Soure and more

Stuff like this, just seems way beyond most of our minds comprehension. I love it. Just thinking of how "large" all of this makes my head expode. Brings that whole concept of whats beyond nothing to mind boggling areas. We already had to worry about colliding galaxies, now universes?!

Stuff like this, just seems way beyond most of our minds comprehension. I love it. Just thinking of how "large" all of this makes my head expode. Brings that whole concept of whats beyond nothing to mind boggling areas. We already had to worry about colliding galaxies, now universes?!

and some people still think we are "alone".. I'm not saying Aliens or UFOs have been here.. but the it is too big to just have life on Earth.

and some people still think we are "alone".. I'm not saying Aliens or UFOs have been here.. but the it is too big to just have life on Earth.

Or, think about it in these terms. If we are the only sentient species in the universe, why is the universe so vast? What do we need all of that space for? What's the likelihood that we'll ever see it or explore it all? If it's just us, couldn't we have been fine with just our galaxy?

Or, think about it in these terms. If we are the only sentient species in the universe, why is the universe so vast? What do we need all of that space for? What's the likelihood that we'll ever see it or explore it all? If it's just us, couldn't we have been fine with just our galaxy?

Our galaxy wouldnt have formed if it was just the matter in our galaxy, so no.

That's a very anthropocentric view. Even if it is just us (probably not) why the proposition that the universe would be made to fit us (when clearly that is not the case)?

Not impossible at all. First all we could imagine was flat world, then a blue-green ball of compost happily jogging around the Sol, then Milky Way, then Local Group (of peanuts), then Virgo Supercluster - each thing being a part of some group. The most mind-boggling part in this must be those different laws of physics not observed anywhere thus far. Admiteddly, our universe is all too convenient for us. Think of it this way - if it were not so, we wouldn't have happened. Something else would, with probability from absolute to none at all (including square root of minus one, har har).

Maybe its not a bruise, maybe its an invasion attempt! :o

Maybe due to terrible differences of laws of physics (and therefore size) all invading universes during the collisions were one by one swallowed by a small dog named Dog.

I wonder what it looks like at the very edge of the universe and if you could fly through the outer bubble to the area between Universes? I'm going to assume no, since other Universes seem to bounce off. The question is why can't different Universes merge like galaxies?

That?s an extraordinary discovery: evidence of something that occurred before the (conventional) Big Bang.

We're getting off into god's country now.

I wonder what it looks like at the very edge of the universe and if you could fly through the outer bubble to the area between Universes? I'm going to assume no, since other Universes seem to bounce off. The question is why can't different Universes merge like galaxies?

You would simply be expanding our universe and if you were to arrive at another universe, you would cause the bruises they are talking about in the other universe.

So our physics only applies to our own universe?

Wow, that's pretty much mind blowing

There may be a few others with similar properties, but others will be far diffrrent or even bizzare. Some will just be small pockets of what passes for spacetime there.

There's another recent paper where they found a "bruise" in the cosmic microwave background where they think our universe collided with another one. Have to look it up & post it.

There's another recent paper where they found a "bruise" in the cosmic microwave background where they think our universe collided with another one. Have to look it up & post it.

There is one theory that I read about years ago that there are multiple disks, each one being a universe, and when they collide, the points of contact are where "Big Bangs" happen. The ripples on the disk are what make matter exist... or something like that.

like an ant who doesn't understand outside the glass walls of a kids ant farm, we too will never really understand what we just cant see in our universe and beyond. We maybe can observe, but never comprehend.