• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,036 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:12

Canada finally able to escape three-year contracts, caps data overages at $50/month

Posted Image

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission today announced that starting December 2, 2013, those of us up north will be able to cancel our contract after two years without penalty, that domestic data overage charges will be capped at $50/month ($100 for roaming), and that devices will be able to be unlocked after 90 days (or immediately if bought outright). The new code also stipulates that buyers will have 15 days to return any device so long as it's within certain usage limits, have the power to accept or decline mid-term contract changes, and that they'll have a contract they can actually understand. These changes are all a result of public hearings that happened back in February.

This, in short, is freakin' sweet. The code will apply to all of the major carriers. For those unfamiliar, three-year contracts are currently the norm up here, and early termination fees in the past have been as high as $500. Right now, we've got a kind of pro-rated system where carriers factor in the initial subsidy provided for your device and how much longer you've got left on your contract in order to calculate how much customers need to cough up to leave. This can still be pretty high.

Needless to say, I'm really, really pumped about these changes. We're waiting on statements from Rogers, Bell, and TELUS to see what they have to say about the new Wireless Code, but one can assume they won't be thrilled about it. If you're interested in digging into the details, you can have a read over here.

http://www.androidce...verages-50month

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,988 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:17

That's pretty sweet. The three year contract can really start to suck after the first year and a half. However most companies will offer a renewal thing at 2 and a half years. Where they give you the option to start a new contract (Not as a new customer though), but providing the benefits of getting a new phone at the 3 year contract price, however it does mean the extension of your contract by another 3 years.

Edit: I am at 2 years on my phone, and this is what the bell site shows me:

You’re eligible for an early upgrade.

You can upgrade to any device by paying an early upgrade fee of $180.00.

Free Updgrade Date APR. 29, 2014
CONTRACT START: JUN. 29, 2011

CONTRACT END: JUN. 28, 2014

#3 OP +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,036 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:22

I really dont like the whole contract thing. For the past several years i purchase the phone by myself and then join a carrier. The phone prices today are not as high as they used to be and it's just not worth getting stuck with a contract for years.

#4 Packet1009

Packet1009

Neowinian

• 467 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:24

Yahoo!

rather like the being able to unlock after 180 days.

finally we get the civilized ways of the us carriers

#5 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,253 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:34

Damned government interference :angry:

Seriously though, two years is still too long (even though it's better than three which seems outrageous).

#6 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,785 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:44

CRTC not listening as per usual.

People wanted 3 yr contracts banned unconditionally - hasn't happened. Not even close.

#7 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,142 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:55

For a year now you have been able to get out of your contract with only a $50 penalty no matter how much time you had left on it. Now, I am happy that this is happening, at the same time, since when does a contract not apply? If you sign a contract it should be held too it. I know in all other areas of life and business, if you sign a contract, by law, you must abide by what you agreed upon (unless illegal). So what makes the telecom industry bite the bullet on this? Trust me, I hate the dinosaur communication industry but in the end, I still fell a contract is a contract.

added: the unlock thing should have been done with from the very beginning if you PAYED for the phone. Its yours to do as you please. If its was under lease (contract) then yes they have a right to lock it to them.

#8 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

• 1,994 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:57

Not good enough.

#9 OP +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,036 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:57

As i said, no one is making people sign a contract. You can always spend some $$$ on a phone and join a carrier without any contract.

#10 OilersFan

OilersFan

Neowinian

• 56 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:01

As i said, no one is making people sign a contract. You can always spend some $$$ on a phone and join a carrier without any contract.

You don't understand though, people want the latest and greatest smart phone for free and no contract!

#11 OP +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,036 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:04

You don't understand though, people want the latest and greatest smart phone for free and no contract!

People usually want what they cant get.

#12 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,083 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:07

Pretty sure the telcos will find a way to make up for it, be it increasing the cost of paying for subsidized phones or increased monthly phone bills as a result of lowering contracts to two years max.

Capping roaming fees is a good move. Though I wouldn't stick with roaming plans from my home carrier if I were roaming around in the States.

#13 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 9,683 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:09

While I don't find this something to be all "pumped up" about as the author claims, I guess it's at least a step in the right direction, if nothing else. Cheers to my northern brothers beyond the wall. :rofl:

#14 BobSlob

BobSlob

Neowinian

• 160 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:11

For a year now you have been able to get out of your contract with only a $50 penalty no matter how much time you had left on it. Now, I am happy that this is happening, at the same time, since when does a contract not apply? If you sign a contract it should be held too it. I know in all other areas of life and business, if you sign a contract, by law, you must abide by what you agreed upon (unless illegal). So what makes the telecom industry bite the bullet on this? Trust me, I hate the dinosaur communication industry but in the end, I still fell a contract is a contract.

added: the unlock thing should have been done with from the very beginning if you PAYED for the phone. Its yours to do as you please. If its was under lease (contract) then yes they have a right to lock it to them.

I'd love a source for this $50 thing....

#15 Packet1009

Packet1009

Neowinian

• 467 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:19

seems the unlock is still for a fee - it's not a free unlock after 90 days or 180 days etc

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!