MS Opens Official Windows 8.1 Preview Site

nice to see they are putting more info out in the public eye.

You can already add a Recycle Bin tile to the Start Screen. Just right-click and select Pin to Start.

Yes, but all that does is allow you to launch a desktop window displaying its contents - it doesn't allow you to empty it or browse it with the Metro interface. It doesn't have any Metro functionality.

You can drag it down onto the Taskbar but then it merges into the File Explorer icon. All folder shortcuts do this and it's been an unfortunate problem since Windows 7.

Exactly, which is useless. You can't open the Explorer Jump List and right-click to empty it, which means you need additional clicks and mouse movement beyond using the desktop icon.

I'm not sure I'd want it on either the Start Screen or the Taskbar by default though. I only access it about twice a year to empty it.

I empty it frequently?often multiple times a day?for privacy and organisational reasons but I don't like to use the permanent delete function, as there have been plenty of times where I accidentally delete something and want to restore it (that's inevitable when Microsoft chooses to place the rename function in the context menu right next to the delete function). As for your other point, it's really the only icon that is required on the desktop and I like to keep my desktop clear. I would much prefer to be able to right-click a taskbar icon to empty the recycle bin that have it on the desktop, where it is frequently obscured by windows; that would also allow for the Recycle Bin to be displayed on every monitor, which isn't currently an option.

As for Metro, you shouldn't have to access the desktop for the majority of system functions. In fact that's why Microsoft is adding Explorer-like functionality to Metro (which should have been included from the beginning). While I wouldn't use that for desktop use, if I were to have a Windows 8 tablet I would want to be able to manage everything from Metro.

Just because you barely use it doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't improve it for those who do. Microsoft long ago removed the need for the 'My Computer' button on the desktop, yet for some reason the Recycle Bin continues to be treated differently. The Recycle Bin should be moved to the taskbar and made optional for the desktop, just like it has been for 'Computer', 'User's Files', 'Network' and 'Control Panel'. It should be considered an independent function, rather than an extension of Explorer.

• Like 2

Yes, but all that does is allow you to launch a desktop window displaying its contents - it doesn't allow you to empty it or browse it with the Metro interface. It doesn't have any Metro functionality.

Exactly, which is useless. You can't open the Explorer Jump List and right-click to empty it, which means you need additional clicks and mouse movement beyond using the desktop icon.

I empty it frequently?often multiple times a day?for privacy and organisational reasons but I don't like to use the permanent delete function, as there have been plenty of times where I accidentally delete something and want to restore it (that's inevitable when Microsoft chooses to place the rename function in the context menu right next to the delete function). As for your other point, it's really the only icon that is required on the desktop and I like to keep my desktop clear. I would much prefer to be able to right-click a taskbar icon to empty the recycle bin that have it on the desktop, where it is frequently obscured by windows; that would also allow for the Recycle Bin to be displayed on every monitor, which isn't currently an option.

As for Metro, you shouldn't have to access the desktop for the majority of system functions. In fact that's why Microsoft is adding Explorer-like functionality to Metro (which should have been included from the beginning). While I wouldn't use that for desktop use, if I were to have a Windows 8 tablet I would want to be able to manage everything from Metro.

Just because you barely use it doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't improve it for those who do. Microsoft long ago removed the need for the 'My Computer' button on the desktop, yet for some reason the Recycle Bin continues to be treated differently. The Recycle Bin should be moved to the taskbar and made optional for the desktop, just like it has been for 'Computer', 'User's Files', 'Network' and 'Control Panel'. It should be considered an independent function, rather than an extension of Explorer.

Why do you have to get so angry? I didn't say that they shouldn't do what you want, only that I wouldn't want it set as the default. I'm sure if you explain how important it is to you Microsoft will be happy to rewrite their OS to accommodate your obviously superior needs ;)

(that's inevitable when Microsoft chooses to place the rename function in the context menu right next to the delete function).

I rename files in one of two ways, I do a slow double click or I click F2, I have NEVER used the context menu. Dunno why seems more work than any of the other options.

Why do you have to get so angry?

There was no anger in my post.

I'm sure if you explain how important it is to you Microsoft will be happy to rewrite their OS to accommodate your obviously superior needs ;)

You say that sarcastically yet that's exactly what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8.1 - responding to user criticism.

i have not seen this much excitement for a "Service pack" update than for Windows 98 SE

Since it's not a Service Pack, but an upgrade, I fail to see what you mean.

I rename files in one of two ways, I do a slow double click or I click F2, I have NEVER used the context menu. Dunno why seems more work than any of the other options.

To be honest, I use a variety of methods. I sometimes use F2, sometimes the ribbon button and sometimes the right-click menu. It's the same with copying. But it still strikes me as unhelpful to place rename directly next to delete.

These are definitely nice improvements, but I'd really like to see quicker access to power controls (shut down reboot etc...) via mouse. I know you can do winkey+I and all that, but I want my 2 click shutdown/restart back lol.

• Like 2

To be honest, I use a variety of methods. I sometimes use F2, sometimes the ribbon button and sometimes the right-click menu. It's the same with copying. But it still strikes me as unhelpful to place rename directly next to delete.

If I'm doing a lot of typing, I'll use the menu key (to the right of Alt Gr) + 'r' as it doesn't break the flow as much as reaching for F2.

Well.. I would if my latest laptop had one :'(

• Like 1

People have been calling new OS X versions "service packs" for years. If they were service packs, Windows 8.1 is too. It's that simple. ;)

As I have said in the past, When you try to be EVERYTHING to everyone, you end up being nothing to everyone. I'd expect either MS will learn from this incident or some folks might find alternatives

• Like 2

As I have said in the past, When you try to be EVERYTHING to everyone, you end up being nothing to everyone.

They've always tried that. And it doesn't seem like Microsoft intends to let go of a (view of the) world where Windows used to be almost everything to almost everyone.

screen1444.jpg

That shade of blue should never be used in any Microsoft promotional material. Ever.

These are definitely nice improvements, but I'd really like to see quicker access to power controls (shut down reboot etc...) via mouse. I know you can do winkey+I and all that, but I want my 2 click shutdown/restart back lol.

It's on the new winX menu:

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry595732650

I was thinking more along the lines of...

** snip **

But I guess you knew that :laugh:

LOL, MS wishes to remind you that, no matter how hard you try, it'll be there to haunt you. :laugh:

VS2013 Preview to be released in sync with win8.1 Preview:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archi...udio-2013.aspx

Brian Harry?s blog

Everything you want to know about Visual Studio ALM and Farming

Hold on to your seat, this is going to be a long one?

Today at TechEd, I announced Visual Studio 2013 and Team Foundation Server 2013 and many of the Application Lifecycle Management features that they include. Today, we enabled some of those features on Team Foundation Service for you to try out immediately and I announced that a preview of VS 2013 and TFS 2013 will be available at the Build conference later this month.

It?s an exciting time now that we can start talking more openly about what?s coming in our next major release. As usual, there?s so much I will only be able to just skim the surface with this post. Stay tuned for many more posts on my blog, the ALM blog, the Visual Studio blog and others as we reveal more detailed information about all of the new capabilities. Also check outSoma?s blog for his perspective on today?s announcements. Of course I?ll post again with download links as soon as they are available.

I will not, in this post, be talking about many of the new VS 2013 features that are unrelated to the Application Lifecycle workflows. Stay tuned for more about the rest of the VS 2013 capabilities at the Build conference.

There?s so much new stuff, I?ll try to organize it a bit?

Agile Portfolio Management........

........ It's a very long blog, visit to read about the rest. :D

I'm glad they're making these changes... certainly they are needed. So the widespread screaming about the lack of a Start button may have been worthwhile.

Even so, the expression "putting lipstick on a pig" seems very applicable. :innocent:

Build 9410, Start button in action, and also change tile size. :)

Who, a new Tile resize menu :) I'm happy with that change, now you have to select a tile 3 times over again to get it from small to large. :)