Photo

Is GTX 660 compatible with my motherboard ?

graphic card motherboard gpu pc compatibility

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 August 2013 - 17:13

Hi Pellumb,

You currently have an Intel CPU in a 775 socket. Do you know the model of the CPU? I'd imagine with a Nvidia 660, your biggest bottleneck may well be the CPU.

Honestly, it might be worth while saving up for a new PC all together. Prices are coming down rapidly on 3rd gen (IvyBridge) Intel i series (which will still be great performers for years to come). What country as you in? That might help us get some prices if you're interested :)

Also to note, your motherboard is not PCIe 3 compatible. Now, that doesn't mean it won't work; it just means it won't be using it's full potential!

The Antec Power Supply is also fine. I can't find the actual page in question, it gives me a 404, however assuming it has the necessary power pins (2x8pin - I think) for your graphics card, it should be fine.

I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but just my 2 pennies.

Dan

Depends on the CPU.  A dual-core will almost certainly be a bottleneck; however, a quad-core, especially an overclocked quad, is unlikely to bottleneck much of anything except *maybe* BF3/CoDMW3 or later - and even that is only at high levels of detail with AA.  Because I typically game at the same resolution as my desktop (1920x1080 - which is also my monitor's ceiling) I generally turn AA off, and that is with a GTX550 Ti (which has half the RAM of the 660) paired with a bone-stock Q6600.

And a GTX660 mostly requires ONE 6-pin power plug - even a factory-overclocked one.  Case in point - http://www.evga.com/...=02G-P4-2662-KR

And while that's the lower-end factory-OC card, the top-end card differs ONLY in RAM loadout - power requirements are absolutely unchanged.  The evidence - http://www.evga.com/...=03G-P4-2667-KR

The shocker was the lack of power requirements - neither GPU requires greater than a 450W PSU (basically identical to the GTX550 Ti).

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!