It's Laughable That The Most Popular Version Of Android Is

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 kjordan2001

kjordan2001

Mystery Solver

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 June 2013 - 20:25

The problem is the manufacturers take too long to update it with their custom interfaces and then most have to pass through the service providers too unless you're running an unlocked phone. Manufacturers also decide not to support their older phones too since they want you to get the newest phones they have even though most older phones should be able to run it if they don't have a memory limit issue for the update.

#17 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2013 - 20:28

I'm still waiting for the 4.2.2 update for the Note 2 on AT&T. Glad I didn't hold my breath.

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 04 June 2013 - 20:30

This again? Alrighty then...

#19 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 June 2013 - 20:38

Quite a lot of old phones had their upgrade paths stopped at Android 2.3 but Android 4.1 onwards is a massive improvement. It's the same situation as with Windows XP, eventually it will start dying as people buy new phones.

#20 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2013 - 20:39

The problem is the manufacturers take too long to update it with their custom interfaces and then most have to pass through the service providers too unless you're running an unlocked phone. Manufacturers also decide not to support their older phones too since they want you to get the newest phones they have even though most older phones should be able to run it if they don't have a memory limit issue for the update.

For whatever else the iPhone did right or wrong, not allowing iOS to be tied to a provider was indisputably the right call.

#21 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2013 - 00:16

if anything you should dump HTC, it isn't Androids (Googles) fault HTC dumped that phone

They're all at it. Biggest disadvantage of android unfortunately

#22 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 June 2013 - 00:28

we already know the majority of android phones sold are cheap low end phones running ancient software. this isn't a surprise.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2013 - 00:30

For whatever else the iPhone did right or wrong, not allowing iOS to be tied to a provider was indisputably the right call.

I agree. Everyone should do that.

#24 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:43

One reason I'm dumping android in a few months. Spent good money on a top line HTC device and it got "discontinued" within months. So if I hang around for the full length of my contract it'll be comically obsolete. Instead I'm buying out, ditching it (and my network) and moving on to pastures new.

You'll get that no matter what, with contract devices.

On this, there can be no dispute.

#25 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:44

They're all at it. Biggest disadvantage of android unfortunately

Hardly, take a gander over at xda-developers, the biggest advantage of Android is it's open source, if your carrier/vendor won't release an updated version XDA Devs will. You can get 4.2.2 on most if not all modern Android phones that have been released in the past few years and they are bloat free and often have improved performance such as newer drivers.

#26 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:12

Fact is you can still buy new phones with GB on, you can pick up the Motorola Defy+ which comes with GB and I don't think it got upgraded past it. BUT it works fine, so what's wrong with using it?

#27 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:32

we already know the majority of android phones sold are cheap low end phones running ancient software. this isn't a surprise.

We know this? Do We? I believe that Samsung Galaxy S range of phones are the best selling (from what I recall reading), which ship with relatively up-to-date versions.

#28 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:50

We know this? Do We? I believe that Samsung Galaxy S range of phones are the best selling (from what I recall reading), which ship with relatively up-to-date versions.

And it is the Samsung phones that have drastically increased the Android market share. The cheaper lower end phones have an impact, but I dont think it is as big as some like to claim. And people getting the lower end phones...the older OS will be fine and they probably dont use or know of the differences between the newer versions. Those that want the latest and want to do more will buy a better device,

#29 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2013 - 13:25

Hardly, take a gander over at xda-developers, the biggest advantage of Android is it's open source, if your carrier/vendor won't release an updated version XDA Devs will. You can get 4.2.2 on most if not all modern Android phones that have been released in the past few years and they are bloat free and often have improved performance such as newer drivers.

Not exactly a trivial process to go down that route.

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2013 - 15:57

Not exactly a trivial process to go down that route.

No, it's not. Definitely not for a noobie.