gamestop wii u nintendo gaming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 18:02

GameStop issuing recall of 8 GB Wii U Basic console June 18th [Update ... or not]
by John Callaham

Nintendo may be getting ready to discontinue one of its two Wii U console models, at least in the US. This week, GameStop confirmed that it will be removing all of the new and used versions of the $299 8Wii U Basic version from its stores on June 18th.

CNET reports that GameStop has not issued a reason for the recall, and Nintendo has yet to comment on these reports. The white colored version of the Wii U was first launched in November and includes just 8 GB of storage. Niintendo also launched a $349 black version of the Wii U with 32 GB of storage as well as a free game, Nintendoland, along with other extra accessories.

It's possible that Nintendo is getting ready for the holiday shopping season by doing away with the version of the Wii U that perhaps isn't selling as well as the $349 version, which certainly offers more for the money than the $299 Basic model. The Wii U has suffered from poor sales overall since the first of 2013, and has reportedly been outsold in the US by Microsoft's seven year old Xbox 360 console.

Update: Polygon reports that, according to Nintendo, there is no such recall of the 8 GB Wii U Basic model, stating that the company is in fact trying to "rebalance the stock of the White 8GB and the Black 32GB Wii U models in the market."

Source: CNET | Image via Nintendo

#2 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,982 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 18:08

they should of never offered the smaller SKU, all consoles should have the same specs in their line..... should of just been Wii U not Wii U Basic and Deluxe... just like there should be one PS4 and one XBOX One

#3 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• 3,838 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 18:11

Well. Let's be serious: No charger for the Wii U Gamepad (SERIOUSLY!?), 1/4th of the total memory, no dock for the gamepad... For 50$ less?

Come on!

Anyways, Ouch.

#4 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 05 June 2013 - 18:30

Isn't this like the 3rd thread on this topic?

#5 remake

remake

Neowinian

• 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 23:27

No charger for the Wii U Gamepad (SERIOUSLY!?)

No idea how you came up with that idea... http://www.nintendo....ats-in-the-box/

#6 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,388 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 23:42

GameStop confirmed that it will be removing all of the new and used versions of the $299 8Wii U Basic version from its stores

Obviously someone doesn't understand what a recall is, as opposed to just removing stock from the shelves.

#7 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,814 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 23:46

Toys R Us is discontinuing the Wii sometime around that date. I wonder if someone added a "U" by mistake.

#8 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 504 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:33

I got the Premium version right away. :) cost me about £300 at the time since I wanted to get ZombiU as well. WiiU was a good purchase I think. Quite a speedy console, with multitasking. The PS3 and Xbox 360 can't multitask. The WiiU can download updates and let me play games online at the same time, I can view a website quickly and then get back to my game without quitting it.

Edited by illage3, 12 June 2013 - 15:39.