Photo

Would you pay to see no (online) ads anymore ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you pay to see no (online) ads anymore ?

Would you pay to see no ads anymore ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you think that the concept of PayTV could be transitioned to the Internet ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Freelancer1111

Freelancer1111

Neowinian

• 259 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:53

This question was roughly inspired by
http://www.neowin.ne...e-an-adblocker/

The Question includes the entire Internet, not just Neowin, where the there is already a approach with the subscriber system.

My Question is, would you pay a monthly fee, to never see any ads on the Internet again ?

This concept does work for Television, where you have something like PayTV (Sky in Germany for example).

So why shouldn't it work for Internet ?

There are already solutions to this like AdMuncher (paid AdBlocker) or AdTrap (a $120 box, which sits between modem and router and filters out ads)
http://www.admuncher.com/
http://www.theatlant...d-again/265063/

What do you think, would it be possible to implement a similar system into the current internet infrastructure ? Would you then pay for it ?

I, personally, use AdBlock Plus except for sites I know/support.

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,572 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:56

As long as their are ad blockers, no. Ads cause issues/slow load times and are intrusive....most of the time.

#3 max22

max22

Neowinian

• 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:57

I already do with Ad Muncher Premium Unlimited updates licenses. I have 3.

#4 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:58

No, I'd never pay extra to have adverts removed.

#5 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,963 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:00

Nope
Ads are a vital part of the eco-system and help pay people who can do amazing stuff.

I think the idea of premium TV that does away with ads is good, because the revenue will make it to the right people but i doubt very much it would in the case of the internet.

#6 max22

max22

Neowinian

• 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:00

Hulu without ads is wonderful.

#7 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• 3,779 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:04

Sky UK TV screens ads even if they are for its own products........

And no the plan wouldnt work companys need to keep their brand and ethos in customers minds.

EDIT Actually SKY do Product Placement which is ads by the back door

#8 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• 2,303 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:18

How would this system work? Everyone who has a website on the internet with ads would get some money when their site is visited? It ad revenue was based on clicks, how would you determine who should get money when there are no more clicks?

#9 OP Freelancer1111

Freelancer1111

Neowinian

• 259 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:20

..., because the revenue will make it to the right people but i doubt very much it would in the case of the internet.

How would this system work? Everyone who has a website on the internet with ads would get some money when their site is visited? It ad revenue was based on clicks, how would you determine who should get money when there are no more clicks?

I first thought of something like a giant "Internet Ad Fee Pot", where all the "fees" from the costumers go and which will then be split to the sites according to their traffic percentages.
But this does, of course, not work, because of machine generated traffic and so on :(

#10 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,021 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:38

NoScript & Adblock Plus user here. I rarely, if ever, see ads. I would, however, consider paying certain sites to remove ads if it were an option because I support what the site does. Namely, the BBC. Honestly, I can't think of any other site I would pay for an ad-free experience.

But like I said, I get that already on every site.

#11 max22

max22

Neowinian

• 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:41

I would never pay a site itself.

#12 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 21:47

No. Internets five nines full of shyte. I do/will carefully choose sites I wish to support, the rest I will Adblock to hell. There are options to finance a site. Like any other business or undertaking, it might not work out for a multitude of reasons. Mostly these days - because the content is shyte, readily available elsewhere or simply trivial, stupid and totally unneccesary.

And ads don't mean the product is free. Ads mean that I'm the product being sold. I take a severe dislike on that.

Sites need to present a choice, involving acceptable methods of financing... or be closed the f* down. The good side effect - internets gets purged of all the damn crap.

That includes Twatters, Crackbooks and other soshul cesspools. Much less people would post about the functions of their digestive systems, I'll guarantee you that.

On the other hand, there's Wiki. While Jimbo begs for donations now and then, it 100% runs on goodwill. Pretty much unique example that happens to work.

#13 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 9,947 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 00:37

No. I'm already paying the internet company to download my ones and zeroes. I'm not going to pay someone else to NOT shove useless content down my throat on the bandwidth that I'm paying for.

#14 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,109 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 06 June 2013 - 00:50

paying not to see ads would defeat the purpose of ads to begin with especially if you paid a third party. those of us with Subscriber membership here on Neowin sort of already do that. (although some folks like myself do it to support the website)

#15 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,755 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 00:51

I already pay in one respect...