privacy big brother nsa

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

• 2,536 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:29

and yet they still can't prevent two lunatics dropping bombs in the middle of the boston marathon. Problem is, you will never see a report about the effectivness of such programs

This will get down-voted to hell and back, but can you consider for one moment the possibility that the attacks were allowed to happen to further the agenda of more and increasingly pervasive surveillance against the population ? The reasons are obvious - tighter and more control of the population by those in power for their own ends.

(From Security agencies / Government)
"Look, the bombers were using the phone network to communicate, we must increase our monitoring in real time of the phones everywhere, just in case someone else is planning such an attack"

(Population)
"Yes please protect us, do whatever you want, we have nothing to hide, we're good citizens, please stop these evil terrorists etc....."

And so the story goes - more control for the powerful, plenty of derision by those that cant see such plans against those that can (nutjob, tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy wacko etc...) and so we take another step into fascism.

Same goes with clamping down the internet for the same reasons - all about ultimate control at the end of the day. Cant have the little people subverting their authority now can we ?

#17 OP FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 15:27

The White House stressed that orders such as the one disclosed by the Guardian would only cover data about the calls rather than their content. A senior administration official said: "Information of the sort described in the Guardian article has been a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats to the United States, as it allows counter-terrorism personnel to discover whether known or suspected terrorists have been in contact with other persons who may be engaged in terrorist activities, particularly people located inside the United States.

Holder begins speaking. "The Department has made tremendous progress in protecting the safety, and the sacred rights, of the American people," he says. The FY 2014 budget request "includes over $4 billion for vital national security programs – and to respond to events like the horrific terrorist attack on the Boston Marathon," he says.

"Sacred rights" lol what?

So I guess you can expect more domestic surveillance.

#18 OP FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 15:33

Delete me. Double post. Sorry.

#19 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,154 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 15:38

DUH

#20 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,514 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 06 June 2013 - 16:04

It's either that, or allow the bad guys to operate untouched by using digital infrastructure to their own advantage.

That sounds fine to me, And if it costs a few lives that's a small price to pay.

http://www.usconstit...xconst_Am4.html

#21 OP FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 16:13

Court order forcing Verizon to hand over call data 'in place since 2006'

The chairman of the Senate intelligence committee, Dianne Feinstein, said on Thursday she believed a court order compelling Verizon to hand over call data relating to millions of Americans had been in place since 2006.

http://www.guardian....ianne-feinstein

#22 OP FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 22:21

Another update and it just gets worse:

NSA taps in to internet giants' systems to mine user data, secret files reveal

The National Security Agency has obtained direct access to the systems of Google, Facebook, Apple and other US internet giants, according to a top secret document obtained by the Guardian.

The NSA access is part of a previously undisclosed program called PRISM, which allows them to collect material including search history, the content of emails, file transfers and live chats, the document says.

The Guardian has verified the authenticity of the document, a 41-slide Powerpoint presentation – classified as Top Secret with no distribution to foreign allies – which was apparently used to train intelligence operatives on the capabilities of the program. The document claims "collection directly from the servers" of major US service providers.

http://www.guardian....trail:Position1

#23 Got3n™

Got3n™

86-75309

• 4,596 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 23:16

this is getting out of hand. time to make my own major ISP adn email system.

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 00:27

I can't see Holder keeping his job for much longer. This may be the last straw.

Really?

Room 641A, aka the SG3 (Secure Group 3) Secure Room, is in the SBC Communications building in San Francisco. It's the location of the NSA backbone intercept system for AT&T. An Electronic Frontier Foundation lawsuit, Hepting v AT&T, failed in Federal court.

On the international front, the US is a member of an organization known as AUSCANNZUKUS (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the US, aka "Five Eyes"), which runs a combined signals intelligence (SIGINT) program known externally as ECHELON.

Five Eyes also shares information with ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations - Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, the Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Brunei and Laos), France's DGSE (Directorate-General for External Security), NATO members and other national SIGINT agencies.

I always forget to add that :p and that /s so people won't believe I am serious.

#25 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,154 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 00:37

^ Holder ? The NSA will run right over him.

#26 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,062 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 00:59

and yet they still can't prevent two lunatics dropping bombs in the middle of the boston marathon. Problem is, you will never see a report about the effectivness of such programs

If they didnt use any electronic communications to talk about their doings, then short of the red flags from Russia (or who ever it was that gave word to watch out for them), then there would be little signs to pick up on. I do agree, any success over this will go unknown.

#27 C-Squarez

C-Squarez

ARE YOU IN THAT MOOD YET?!?!

• 5,163 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:30

I'm always amazed, for some reason, that people are okay with this. I figured people had more sense but lo and behold...

#28 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,906 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:35

the terrorists have won.... *sigh*

Indeed. The point of terrorism is inducing terror, and that's the state people seem to be living in.

See: they have effectively altered people's way of life getting them to lose some of their rights out of fear.

Mission accomplished, they must be laughing their asses off.

#29 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,647 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:53

Whats funny is the real terrorist know already know that being tracked and so they do countermeasures. All the surveillance only ends up hurt law abiding citizens.

#30 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,675 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:08

this is sounding more and more like the plot from V from Vendetta... :(