So how does the geo-locking work then? I assume the Nazi content will be on the disk, just locked out if your IP address is in Germany? Or maybe it's located in the cloud somewhere, and if your IP address doesn't resolve to Germany then the Nazi content gets downloaded. In either situation though, wouldn't a VPN connection get around that?

Personally I'm against the censorship. The Third Reich happened, what does banning Nazi images do? But I guess that's another topic for another time.

So how does the geo-locking work then? I assume the Nazi content will be on the disk, just locked out if your IP address is in Germany? Or maybe it's located in the cloud somewhere, and if your IP address doesn't resolve to Germany then the Nazi content gets downloaded. In either situation though, wouldn't a VPN connection get around that?

Personally I'm against the censorship. The Third Reich happened, what does banning Nazi images do? But I guess that's another topic for another time.

Steamworks.

Valve have been updating it in recent months to block trading of restricted games through the gift system etc. When you buy the game in Austria/Germany you automatically buy the censored version. People worked around that over the years by using VPN/gifting, but they're cracking down on it and now you can't add the games to your account never mind play them.

Couldn't the file size be due to uncompressed, multi-channel audio? Shooters do have a lot of music, sound effects, and voice acting. Maybe this is a sign that the audio is going to be high quality?

Otherwise, I agree that 50gb is way too damn much.

:laugh: Go publishers! Go politics!

Can't they just not release the damn thing in Germany, locally? What does releasing a game on the Internet has to do with local censorship and crap?

While Germany offers cultural exemptions on the use of Nazi content in films, current legislation in the country does not extend to video games. 

Before I read this, I was going to say that Schindler's List must have been a really confusing movie in Germany if Nazi iconography is outlawed.

Context matters. Outlawing pro-Nazi propaganda would be easier to defend than Nazi symbolism in a game where you play as a soldier fighting against Nazis.

• Like 1

I have this game Preorder I going to fight against the german nazi's when my game arrives I glad I don't live in germany.

I have this game Preorder I going to fight against the german nazi's when my game arrives I glad I don't live in germany.

If you want to fight german Nazis an actual historical WWII game like red orchestra is probably more up your alley. 

This is very unfortunate, what a pity for gamers based on Germany. Or maybe not, possibly quite a few German gamers have had enough of the unpleasant implications games like Wolfy have....i don't really expect this title to be popular among German audiences anyway.

• Like 1

If the new Wolfenstein is little more than a generic shooter then perhaps removing Nazi insignia and iconography mightn't have that much of a negative impact. But considering Wolfenstein is a "Nazi-themed shooter" your essentially tearing out the entire plot basis.

Was Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army banned? Can't be bothered to search..am playing the imaginatively titled Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army 2 right now, and it seems they avoided Nazi insignia entirely...there's only Tibetan-style "swastikas" and occult symbols. And that game is about as sadistically anti-Nazi as you can get. This is the Steam US version, so clearly not censored.

Guess Wolfenstein couldn't really do that, though, as the whole point of the story is Germany winning the war.

EDIT: this post was just an excuse to write Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army twice.

• Like 2

this time next week, getting impatient......

Well actually more than a week :laugh:

But yeah also looking forward to it

• Like 3

A game about Nazis with everything Nazi censored out is like being served an empty plate and calling it a meal.

• Like 1

A game about Nazis with everything Nazi censored out is like being served an empty plate and calling it a meal.

So if you replace swastikas with some other sharp edged symbol the game is suddenly bad.

in that case, I'd say it was a bad game to start with.

• Like 1

Too bad I don't own an I7 and stuck with an AMD phenom II. EA says i7 is needed for constant fps of 60

Don't be so strict, why deny yourself this game? Your Phenom II is more than enough, i'm sure. I'd take these new-fangled PC requirements with a hefty dollop of salt...PS4 and X1 come out and suddenly every PC game needs HAL 9000-like processing acumen to run at "60fps".

So if you replace swastikas with some other sharp edged symbol the game is suddenly bad.

in that case, I'd say it was a bad game to start with.

You're right, that kind of visual detail doesn't really affect gameplay, but alexander makes a fair point too. It's like Homefront using Koreans instead of the original China-based invasion. Sure, would not have changed the game, but would have made for a more plausible and impactful scenario.

Steamworks.

Valve have been updating it in recent months to block trading of restricted games through the gift system etc. When you buy the game in Austria/Germany you automatically buy the censored version. People worked around that over the years by using VPN/gifting, but they're cracking down on it and now you can't add the games to your account never mind play them.

Nothing banned ATM, I'm in Germany, I couldn't buy Return To The Castle Wolfenstein since it is banned in Germany, so friend from Poland buy it and send as gift over Steam, works perfect fine :P

• Like 1

Nothing banned ATM, I'm in Germany, I couldn't buy Return To The Castle Wolfenstein since it is banned in Germany, so friend from Poland buy it and send as gift over Steam, works perfect fine :p

How long ago did that happen?

Some of the changes have been very recent.

• Like 1

I will add to this: Legally, you may not import any items bearing the Nazi Swastika or related imagery into Germany.  That includes digital.