Same here, hence the dying repeatedly on the same spot, I start my checkpoint with 20 health, and come under immediate fire from 2 Armoured Minigun Nazis, plus 4-5 regulars.

If you fast forward to 52:30 you'll see my predicament :D

http://www.twitch.tv/mckay91/b/530919493

Figured you were on uber....heh heh why would you guys put yourself through that? :D

Dark Souls 2 is enough challenge right now, with Wolfy I just need a modicum of resistance, though normal is a little too easy.

Currently at the start of Chapter 10.

Seriously this game is perfect. It truly is.

The fact it currently is only at a 78 right now on metacritic is a travesty. It seriously is. I think high 80's low 90's is much more where it should be.

With the exception of the first hour, they really have perfect pacing with the game. They know when to dial things back and just let you do things at your own leisure, and then when to throw you into the thick of things.

And really the best part of the game is just how viable of an option stealth truly is.

Now that I know the minds behind the Riddick games are responsible for the game, it truly makes so much sense.

The whole

resistance hangout is truly reminiscent of the cell blocks in Riddick. And then actually there was the whole scene when you are in the jail trying to break the one character out, and again, just so much like the Riddick games.

Which I really thought were such damn good games on their own.

I just think they would have been much better off changing up the first hour or so to better reflect what people could expect with the rest of the game.

So far it is my GOTY. Hands down.

I do agree with everything you said, but I can see why they did the first hour the way they did. They were trying to lay the groundwork for what is a very story heavy game and in that sense they pulled it off. I think that it was very effective and was worth a different pace of game in that hour because once your past it you're off and from what I've seen so far settles into it's own rhythm for the rest of the game.

I think my initial assessment so far is still the case IMO, solid 8.5 but think it may be a 9 by the time I finish. I don't know how far through I am but I'm just a bit past where you use that one man submarine thing to traverse the tunnels.

• Like 1

I do agree with everything you said, but I can see why they did the first hour the way they did. They were trying to lay the groundwork for what is a very story heavy game and in that sense they pulled it off. I think that it was very effective and was worth a different pace of game in that hour because once your past it you're off and from what I've seen so far settles into it's own rhythm for the rest of the game.

I think my initial assessment so far is still the case IMO, solid 8.5 but think it may be a 9 by the time I finish. I don't know how far through I am but I'm just a bit past where you use that one man submarine thing to traverse the tunnels.

Fair point, and I had little problem with it myself as I made it through and kept playing, I have just read comments on other forums about how the first hour sucked and how people stopped playing because of that and just people being general idiots with no patience, and that bothered me as I do believe they game is that good. So I am just thinking for those people, they maybe could have done it better.

I am actually just starting that point myself.

• Like 1

There is on problem with the game. they keep repeating the same element over and over.

oh you're almost at the end, almost got it, ohm now you're suddenly captured and need to escape.

by the castle level at the end, I was like... oh this again...

• Like 2

and of course there the predictable sad ending in order to add legitimacy to the story as a serious drama. it feels so annoyingly stupid when they add sad endings to hollywood action stories in this idiotic attempts to add legitimacy to the stories. instead of just slapping on a proper happy ending like what befits the story.

but then again, we all know that by the time a sequel comes around, he magically managed to escaped and they didn't save the world afterall instead something more evil took over and bla blah blah... sorry the stupid ending soured me a bit..

and of course there the predictable sad ending in order to add legitimacy to the story as a serious drama. it feels so annoyingly stupid when they add sad endings to hollywood action stories in this idiotic attempts to add legitimacy to the stories. instead of just slapping on a proper happy ending like what befits the story.

but then again, we all know that by the time a sequel comes around, he magically managed to escaped and they didn't save the world afterall instead something more evil took over and bla blah blah... sorry the stupid ending soured me a bit..

Just like a movie, if you wait until the credits finish there is a little something there (for a sequel let alone closure on the story) - the helicopter the allies escaped on is heard coming closer (the scene is black) and you can hear Anya yelling William. It more or less tells you that they delayed the nuke enough for the copter to go in and get BJ before the end.

So, kinda a happy-ish ending if you will?

Cool,  I only played for 1 hour, and I was seriously disappointed.     Glad to hear that it actually gets better!   Btw, the install size is NUTS !

Just like a movie, if you wait until the credits finish there is a little something there (for a sequel let alone closure on the story) - the helicopter the allies escaped on is heard coming closer (the scene is black) and you can hear Anya yelling William. It more or less tells you that they delayed the nuke enough for the copter to go in and get BJ before the end.

So, kinda a happy-ish ending if you will?

Yeah I know. That part angered me even more, and I hinted to it in the previous post.

Putting stuff at the end of credits is stupid and annoying.

And to first have a sad pretend ending as if it was a wannabe Cannes artsy drama sippy movie, then to do the after credit BS.

Just be honest about what kind of game and story it is. Don't try to pretend to be a drama for credits from the "I went to drama/movie school to be a critic" people and then add on an escape clause. Just admit it's a cheesy popcorn story to be him with, and it's better for it, and be done with.

Cool, I only played for 1 hour, and I was seriously disappointed. Glad to hear that it actually gets better! Btw, the install size is NUTS !

Yeah the first hour isn't representative of the game as a whole. Once you get 2-3 hours in, or at least once you leave the hospital, standard gameplay kicks in.

• Like 1

Yeah the first hour isn't representative of the game as a whole. Once you get 2-3 hours in, or at least once you leave the hospital, standard gameplay kicks in.

Game devs need to understand you can't have a bad intro sequence that isn't representative of the gameplay and quality. No one wants to "endure" a bad knot for potentially good gameplay later, it's utter stupidity. You only get one first impression, a good game isn't something you should be rewarded with for sitting through an annoyingly long intro sequence with bad gameplay. Good gameplay should be there from the start.

Granted not as ridiculous as the final fantasy game or whatever where the fans went " oh, the reviews are unfair, if you only stick it through those first 10-20 hours of intro gameplay, it's a great game" ... Seriously... Wtf...

• Like 2

Game devs need to understand you can't have a bad intro sequence that isn't representative of the gameplay and quality. No one wants to "endure" a bad knot for potentially good gameplay later, it's utter stupidity. You only get one first impression, a good game isn't something you should be rewarded with for sitting through an annoyingly long intro sequence with bad gameplay. Good gameplay should be there from the start.

Granted not as ridiculous as the final fantasy game or whatever where the fans went " oh, the reviews are unfair, if you only stick it through those first 10-20 hours of intro gameplay, it's a great game" ... Seriously... Wtf...

Well just because you thought it was bad doesn't represent the entire gaming community.

The intro was paced differently but I didn't find it bad at all. I thought it worked as an intro to the story and although the pace of the gameplay picks up an hour or two in its not entirely dissimilar. If they had carried it on longer than they did than that would have been a problem but in my opinion what they did worked.

If you -hated- the intro then you'll likely hate the entire game. They're not seperate games they're just paced differently while they set the stage in the early going.

• Like 1

Yeah the first hour is not bad at all, just very straight forward. I still find it entertaining no doubt.

So just realized something I wish I had earlier about one of the weapons. If you are past Chapter 6 or 7 or so, I forget when you get this exact weapon, it may be worth your time to read this spoiler as it has helped me out tremendously...

The Laserkraftwerk I believe it is called, the weapon that also doubles as the way to cut fences and chains later on in the game, well it can also cut certain metal boxes. And they almost always have either ammunition or armor. I realized this by accident battling a super solider and missing him. LOL I did figure this out while on Chapter 11 though, so that is a good thing.

As I said GOTY so far for me, and nothing has changed my opinion. What is awesome as well is I really think I have a very decent chance of beating it before Tuesday which would be just in time for Watch Dogs. That would be great. If I do not, I think I am not going to even check Watch Dogs out until I have definitely beaten the game. I see no reason at all to stop playing. Honestly Watch Dogs may get kicked to the curb any way, as what I very well believe is going to be my other GOTY candidate comes out on Friday, and that is Mario Kart 8. I am on a big kick lately of just wanting to have fun when I play a game. Wolfenstein is a ton of fun.

Just finished it on Uber. Phew that was an experience.

I feel drained.

Now you know how William felt on the train :D

And there was nothing wrong with the first hour, it was great, except the shooting somehow felt clunky, and then resolved. Probably due to getting used to fondling, i mean handling the controls.

"Ich bin ein Wolfenstein lieberhaber!"

Still don't believe you, I'll have to check my friend's list to confirm, (must be nice to have let your kids finish the game for you) :p

KIDS?! Psshh my blood pressure was through the roof after dying for the 30th time in the space of an hour fighting the last boss :D

• Like 1

KIDS?! Psshh my blood pressure was through the roof after dying for the 30th time in the space of an hour fighting the last boss :D

You mean you didn't use the laser to cut a hole in one of the panels, in the corner upstairs and just kite him back and forth???

You mean you didn't use the laser to cut a hole in one of the panels, in the corner upstairs and just kite him back and forth???

He decimated the cover all by himself. On ?ber his shots do an insane amount of damage.

you're faced with too much fire, can't see a damn thing and he can bring you from 100 health to 0 in 3-4 hits, so I was peaking out of cover just trying to spot him, taking damage. Finally see hits outline, make him stagger, sprint to the opposite side of the room, where he recovers just in time to hit you a few times, bringing you down to about 40 health. After 3 of these encounters, the room is devoid of medpacks

Don't doubt me :D

Thanks for spoiling it for me, i never look at trophies/achievements before finishing a game :angry:

j/k, though i really don't look...usually :s

He decimated the cover all by himself. On ?ber his shots do an insane amount of damage.

you're faced with too much fire, can't see a damn thing and he can bring you from 100 health to 0 in 3-4 hits, so I was peaking out of cover just trying to spot him, taking damage. Finally see hits outline, make him stagger, sprint to the opposite side of the room, where he recovers just in time to hit you a few times, bringing you down to about 40 health. After 3 of these encounters, the room is devoid of medpacks

Ok, so he has finished it on uber, so you're more leet than me, I can't help it dude, I have friends and a wife and get laid and stuff :p