Photo

Wolfenstein: The New Order

official wolfenstein: the new order machinegames bethesda pc ps3 ps4 xbox 360 xbox one id tech 5

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#31 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

• 530 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:31

You have to remember that the Nazis brought it on themselves. A lot of games treat Nazis as almost an entire race in and of themselves rather than blanket 'Germans'.

After what happened there is no way their usage as enemies in games can be seen as racism.

#32 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:59

They make for convenient bad guys, for sure, just like zombies, as there seems to be no controversy with killing them. Ditto corrupt cops, PMCs, and nationalists. I agree games with Nazis usually make at least some token effort to differentiate them from "regular" German people, and will often even have a "good German" character or two thrown in for good measure. However, i think many sensible people will agree that this use of Nazis is just a way to be a justified bigot.

Anyway, i will be playing this game and enjoying it for sure! I'm not that heavy, just saying it is getting a little trite.

#33 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

• 530 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:20

However, i think many sensible people will agree that this use of Nazis is just a way to be a justified bigot.

I think that is simply incorrect.

Naziism (NOT Germans in general) is completely fair game for videogame fodder - developers are even careful to rarely if ever refer to Nazis as germans, prefering to use the terms 'Axis' or whatever instead.

Using Nazis as enemies in videogames serves a very useful purpose of making that part of history relevant to todays youth.  The worst thing the world can do is to forget or ignore that it ever happened.  The world needs reminders, even tounge-in-cheek videogame reminders, so that it keeps the memory afloat enough to keep reminding people how disgusting the whole thing was.

Otherwise why not stop producing war movies or even showing them? Let's stop showing war documentaries for their anti-German propoganda?

#34 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,901 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:08

The graphics and gameplay look awesome. However, the violence is a bit too graphic for me (especially when using a knife [ie. stabbing]).

The original Wolfenstein is a classic, but I have concerns about this new one (from a psychological point of view). I played the original when I was a kid - if I played this new one then, I think I'd be pretty scared. People under the age of 21 strictly shouldn't play it from my opinion.

#35 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,769 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:19

Whatever happened to the free "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory?" loved it but I must have deleted or lost it at some point lol

Edit: Found it wonder if there's a decent multiplayer presence for it still :p (downloading now).

#36 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

• 2,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:42

I used to play wolfenstien (RTCW) online a lot, loved the map with the cable cars. Didn't play ET as much but it was still a good game.

#37 Pusska In Boots

Pusska In Boots

Neowinian

• 41 posts
  • Phone: Sony Z1 Ultra

Posted 24 March 2014 - 17:45

Whatever happened to the free "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory?" loved it but I must have deleted or lost it at some point lol

Edit: Found it wonder if there's a decent multiplayer presence for it still :p (downloading now).

There is still a huge presence there with a good skill or casual player base depending on what your after.

It's still my top multiplayer game. Think the way the maps were designed and objectives made it feel like you were in a right tussle.

Good server = et.hirntot.org:27960

#38 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:13

I think that is simply incorrect.

Naziism (NOT Germans in general) is completely fair game for videogame fodder - developers are even careful to rarely if ever refer to Nazis as germans, prefering to use the terms 'Axis' or whatever instead.

Using Nazis as enemies in videogames serves a very useful purpose of making that part of history relevant to todays youth.  The worst thing the world can do is to forget or ignore that it ever happened.  The world needs reminders, even tounge-in-cheek videogame reminders, so that it keeps the memory afloat enough to keep reminding people how disgusting the whole thing was.

Otherwise why not stop producing war movies or even showing them? Let's stop showing war documentaries for their anti-German propoganda?

Really do agree with you on the remembrence aspect, and in no way am i advocating censorship. Just my personal feelings are that there's overkill, and at some point it just becomes a free for all where it's OK to do anything to "them" because they're Nazis, or PMCs, or nationalist Russians, or fifth column American traitors, or evil mega corporations..you know what i mean. It's a delicate balance, and i feel we have crossed into the realm of no longer reminding people of the horrors of WWII-era atrocities, but rather just using symbols of that period as convenient objects to gib.

Hahaha didn't mean to turn this into a discussion on the merits and demerits of having Nazis in games, very much looking forward to this and will certainly enjoy it.

#39 DarkyDan

DarkyDan

Neowinian

• 347 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:41

This game was dead to me as soon as I heard it had no multiplayer.

We all want that awesome RTCW or Wolf:ET multiplayer feeling again damn you! -shakes fist-

Single player action FPS games are for teenage boys on consoles.

#40 ensiform

ensiform

Neowinian

• 534 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:48

This game was dead to me as soon as I heard it had no multiplayer.

We all want that awesome RTCW or Wolf:ET multiplayer feeling again damn you! -shakes fist-

Single player action FPS games are for teenage boys on consoles.

I think its actually Multiplayer cashcow action FPS games are for teenage boys on consoles.

SP games are perfectly fine...

#41 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,983 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:50

No multiplayer?! Damn I was hoping to recapture some of the memories from Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer.

I wonder if the PC version of it still has an online community.

#42 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,769 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:29

There were no servers for Wolf:ET when I looked yesterday :(

#43 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:36

It's fine, not like we're starving for MP anyway. And pretty sure they'll add it on later if sales are good.

#44 Pusska In Boots

Pusska In Boots

Neowinian

• 41 posts
  • Phone: Sony Z1 Ultra

Posted 25 March 2014 - 17:12

There were no servers for Wolf:ET when I looked yesterday :(

Did you install the 2.56b patch?

#45 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,969 posts