46 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,061 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:59

Anonymous Just Leaked a Trove of NSA Documents

In the wake of last night’s revelation that everyone in the world has a creepy NSA-shaped stalker, defenders of online liberty and generally angry internet people Anonymous have leaked a treasure trove of NSA documents, including seriously important stuff like the US Department of Defense’s ‘Strategic Vision’ for controlling the internet.

The documents — 13 in total — were posted online, along with an accompanying message full of the normal Anonymous bluster: people won’t be silenced, they have the memory of trivia-master elephants, the governments of the world will fall, your average press release really.

The documents seem to mostly relate to PRISM and supporting operations, and mostly date from around 2008, supposedly not long after PRISM first reared its ugly head. One of the key things Anonymous has highlighted from the documents is the existence of an “intelligence-sharing network” that shares data gleaned from PRISM with “intelligence partners” around the world. Although we’re still in the process of combing through the documents, you can bet your last Bitcoin that ‘intelligence’ has been shared with British security services.

Hit up the documents for further details; just be warned that although this might look like the plot of a B-list movie starring Aston Kutcher, the docs themselves are incredibly dry and full of more acronyms whatever presentation you should be working on. [Pastebin]

Source: Gizmodo

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,771 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:15

not a big fan of this sort of thing, then again there really is not much you can do about it.

Also PRISM sounds like "The Machine" from Person of Interest

#3 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,886 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:22

This administration is out of control.

#4 br0adband

br0adband

The one and only...

• 498 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:26

PRISM got its name from the fact that the infamous "Room 641A" fiasco from the mid-2000s with AT&T and an NSA whistleblower leaking info about how prisms (literally, real prisms) were being used to beam-split the fiber optic feeds that make up a huge portion of the Internet dataflow backbone nowadays (aka trunks) and if you wanted to copy the data being transmitted over said fiber optic links the easiest way would be to just use a prism to split the beam (literally) and let one part continue on while collecting/copying/harvesting/mining the remaining side.

It's literally a perfect tap in most every respect with no real trace or tampering of the original bitstream that you could note to any degree at all.

I'm one of those 'tinfoil hat' people I suppose: been involved with data communications since the 1970s (yes I'm somewhat old these days) and I've always been well aware that this sort of thing - meaning the active data collection/mining/monitoring - is not only possible but relatively easy to do. In the past it was more precise and more targeted because even though it was easy to do, it wasn't easy to do on a large massive scale so in those days you would literally have to know exactly who, what, when, where, and why you were allowed to monitor or collect data on a given subject or target.

Nowadays, because computers are capable of monitoring so much data in real-time and finding those dreaded keywords or topics that set off the "red flags" to alert a human that something could be potentially worth more direct inspection, it's even easier.

I hate to say "I told you so..." (meaning I've been saying this stuff has been happening since the dawn of the telecommunications age and with it being primarily digital it has been in motion since the first router was connected to "the Internet" long ago) but but but...

"I told you so... and so have many many other people over the years, some still with us, many long gone." ;)

#5 glen8

glen8

Neowinian

• 817 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:44

Liber8 would be proud

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 15:39

Apparently. I use to be against this kind of stuff but apparently we need it to know what the hell is going on. And what is going on is very scary stuff.

#7 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,785 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 15:41

Anon be in big trouble now.

#8 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,926 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 15:44

Welcome to 1984

#9 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,534 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 07 June 2013 - 15:45

#10 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 502 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 07 June 2013 - 15:48

They've got no right to spy on people unless they have a warrant to do so.

#11 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,534 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 07 June 2013 - 15:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbNuryhZzgg

#12 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,024 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 20:38

This administration Washington is out of control.

FTFY

#13 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,246 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 20:41

That doesn't appear to matter very much to them.

#14 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,024 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 20:42

Hence the court orders and the legal authority created and passed by congress.

#15 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,024 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 20:49

NSA spy timeline

https://www.eff.org/...spying/timeline

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!