Game of Thrones is HBO

HBO has released some new total audience numbers (you know, the number Geek Furious keeps reminding us is all that matters to HBO) and it is official: Game of Thrones is now HBO?s most popular currently-airing show, and second only to The Sopranos all-time.

Josef Adalian of Vulture is reporting figures from HBO which show that Game of Thrones is averaging 13.6 million viewers per episode. This is higher than True Blood?s high of 13.0 million and just below The Sopranos? 14.4 million. Here is a handy chart:

1370613138.png

Adalian provides a helpful breakdown of just what the above numbers entail. It is something that we have discussed many times before here, but is worth a refresher:

As noted above, the show is averaging around 5 million viewers for its 9 p.m. Sunday play on HBO. But like most HBO series ? as well as a slew of other basic and pay cable shows ? that first telecast reps just a small portion of the eventual audience for each episode. For example, the instant encore of GoT that airs at 11 p.m. Sunday can add more than a million more viewers to the tally. The number goes up by about another third when everyone who recorded the show on DVR finally plays it back. The countless repeats on HBO and its so-called ?multiplex? channels (HBO2, HBO Latino) boost viewership by about 15 percent, while folks who watch an episode on demand add a similar amount to the final tally. Finally, those who like their GoT carnage on the streaming app HBO GO tack on another 6 percent. Add it all up, and GoT nearly triples its initial audience, ending up with the aforementioned 13.6 million total viewers.

Adalian also notes that HBO has provided the Thrones viewer breakdowns by gender: 57 percent male, 43 percent female. This tracks with what Wired uncovered from perusing Nielsen?s data

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/06/game-of-thrones-is-hbos-biggest-hit-since-the-sopranos/

I watched the latest episode last night. This information does not surprise me, given that anyone (literally, anyone, it seems) could be bumped off at a moments notice. I haven't worried for characters lives this much since Spooks.

Yup, that number would be even higher if it were offered as a stand alone subscription available via download.

Exactly. If you were to to add Piracy into the mix that number would probably be MUCH higher.

I have never watch this series live...i watched it the next day on Xbox 360 with the HBO GO app.