Windows 8.1 Start button likely won

The moment many Windows fans have been waiting for has arrived ? sort of. We now have a video of Windows 8.1?s new Start button in action. In a video filmed this week at Computex 2013 in Taipei by IDG News, a Microsoft representative showed off how the new Start button will work on the Windows 8.1 desktop mode. Anyone who was hoping for a return of the traditional Start button in its entirety is bound to be disappointed, however: The new Start button brings up the same Live Tiles interface that users see when they exit the desktop screen. The difference, though, is that bringing up the Live Tiles menu doesn?t boot you out of the desktop screen now, acting instead as an overlay. It?s still not a traditional Start button, buta free app is available for those seeking a more traditional Windows experience. The video demonstration showing the new Start button is posted below.

http://bgr.com/2013/06/07/microsoft-windows-8-1-start-button-video/

Windows 8.1 will make me happy, with the option to use the desktop background in the start screen, boot to desktop and a start button!

The only thing that will stop some is Windows 9. No matter how different it really is than W8, they've just invested too much criticism to accept 8 without admitting their own hypocrisy to themselves.

• Like 2

it'll alleviate the pain but not remove it. The start screen is better integrated into the desktop experience... but the start screen and desktop are still two entirely different environments. This all really comes down to Microsoft betting on touch technology taking off on the desktop as much as it has on the mobile environments. I just dont' see that happening.

• Like 1

BGR... ****ing analysts...

The support for 8.1 (unless you work for Infoworldwaste) is resoundingly positive.

I think it will be a fair improvement, booting to the desktop and an actual button to access the start screen should make usability a lot easier for the average user.

The modern interface and the desktop need to interact more however, unless Windows 8.1 does something amazing we have a long way to go before it feels like the modern interface is just more than something slapped over the desktop.

BGR... ****ing analysts...

The support for 8.1 (unless you work for Infoworldwaste) is resoundingly positive.

Is there actually anything you think is bad about any Microsoft product?

such tech blogs dont represent the vast amount of pc users worldwide at all. so it doesnt matter what we hate or love.

more importantly is how the public perceives window 8. there microsoft made some mistakes. the unpolished metro apps are not in the position to win people over. the unflexible start menu looks a little awkward. it all just looks a little weird to the unused eye and the closer you look the more incosistencies you find.

to most users windows 7 is just enough. it works really well, it is fast, no general flaws at all. the current hardware is very potent and quite cheap. for the average user there really is no reason at all to change a one to three year old system. there is only so much a new operating system can do.

It's time for them to bring the choice back, i'm not saying bring back the start menu, but what about being able to pin the start screen like you can metro apps, or simply resize it. my biggest complaint is being completely removed from your work to load another app.

They force you on to this full screen start menu for what, a 2.5 second glance at the weather, oh look it's raining, well actually i can see out the window so i don't need this i just want my app.. it does so much with so little usability in a desktop environment.

it's a page of squares so it shouldn't be too hard to make it completely responsive.

I also don't like the way metro feels like a separate OS sitting on top of Windows... it looks beautiful i will admit, the animations are nice (but unnecessary), it's colourful and attractive.. but thats it.

it'll alleviate the pain but not remove it. The start screen is better integrated into the desktop experience... but the start screen and desktop are still two entirely different environments. This all really comes down to Microsoft betting on touch technology taking off on the desktop as much as it has on the mobile environments. I just dont' see that happening.

I think it's a concession that the Modern UI cannot duplicate many things that the Desktop can do for productivity and that the Desktop isn't going away any time soon and they are trying to integrate the two much better as a result. Just think of all the games and game engines already in development for W32 as well as apps. Even if/when the Modern UI is capable of replacing the Desktop Environment on the Desktop, it will take years. So far it looks like they're doing a pretty good job. Would be nice to be able to use the Share Charm for Win 32 apps and drag and drop between the two but ... you can't.

Still would like to see easily customizable tiles (icons, colors). Be interesting to see if there are any major Modern UI games at E3. The twin-stick Halo game will be nice on the Desktop.

more importantly is how the public perceives window 8.

I think word-of-mouth is much more powerful here as is what is adopted in the workplace.

So the tiles look overlaid on the back ground, what if you have other apps open? say if I have a game open and instead of alt+tabbing i press the start key. Will the tiles overlay on my game? or overlay to the back ground? because if it just overlays to the backgroup all they have done is given you more backgrounds to use for Start.

Is there actually anything you think is bad about any Microsoft product?

The legacy right click menu for one...

this guy's usefulness has come to an end, and should have been eliminated [...] users forced into the desktop on less than ideal devices have to put up with this, which is truly and awful experience.

It'll definitely ease some hate but not all. Didn't MS say something to the effect of "our research shows no one uses the Start menu"? If true, well, they need to fire their research team because a few of the changes being made in 8.1 are due to customer feedback that goes against what their so-called research team found.

I would still love to see the right click menus ingrained into a Metro flyout. It would tie the desktop into Metro more.

It'll definitely ease some hate but not all. Didn't MS say something to the effect of "our research shows no one uses the Start menu"? If true, well, they need to fire their research team because a few of the changes being made in 8.1 are due to customer feedback that goes against what their so-called research team found.

Start Button != Start Menu

i will be moving to windows 8 when 8.1 is out. I tried it when it first came out but I just could not get away with it but the update looks far more user friendly, even if it is just minor changes.

It still hides everything you were doing on the Desktop. The fact that there's a button and that the background uses your desktop wallpaper are timid steps in the right direction, but it's still a highly intrusive, confusing and inefficient design for desktop users.

I would like it if the terms "hate", "fan" and such references to irrational bias and emotions would stay out of these threads and especially their titles.

I see myself as a fairly advanced user, and have no issues with W8 so far.

Is the new startscreen a distraction from the desktop? For some people definately. But all this 'cannot work anymore because it's so distracting' is a bit silly.

You're working on something, and want to start a seconds program. You have to look at the startmenu, scroll, find the application and start it. At - that point- the app starts and will TAKE OVER the desktop.

This 'jolting' behavior is accepted by EVERYONE. Now with the new startsceen -everybody- is complaining about loosing sight of what you're doing.

Really?

I have apps that take over TWO screens when starting, with no possibility to quickly jump back to the desktop at that point. Startup takes it all. So for me I don't find it at all confusing, jarring or an efficient design. It's just different.

With the new options in 8.1 a lot of this moving from one to the other will be solved by showing the desktop wallpaper and such.

And offcourse there will still be people complaning, but they do that while waiting for coffee at Starbucks as well........

• Like 2

I honestly do not see the start button doing any good overall being that all it really is, is a button that brings up the same start screen rather than a start menu, Microsoft really missed this one, people did not care about the button so much as the menu.

I told you so... I went to bestbuy to test windows 8 in jan 2013. I press on start button on the keyboard which it is same as start screen and menu.