Photo

Apple WWDC 2013 Discussion Thread

official wwdc discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you expect to see during the WWDC 2013 keynote?

What do you expect to see during the WWDC 2013 keynote?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 19 June 2013 - 18:35

I installed it the first night and have made myself stay on it, instead of dropping back down to 6.1.3 like some others, and I must say now that I have used it since then, I am really pleased overall. 

#212 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:29

Anyone running IOS7 on an iPhone 4? How's it running performance wise? 

#213 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:00

Starting with the default iOS 6 controls, it's much harder to build a good looking app than starting with the iOS 7 controls. Using the former, you'd basically customise everything. Using the latter, I'm actually quite happy to use the default controls and let the content be the focus of my app design.

I got it the opposite :

With iOS6, if you want a nice app, you can keep the default controls and it'll do a perfect job out of the box.

With iOS7, if you want a rich, vivid app, you need to customize everything.

Anyone running IOS7 on an iPhone 4? How's it running performance wise? 

I get a lot of crashes and hangs on my iPhone 5 (especially the Music App and Siri doesn't work half of the time). I wouldn't recommend it to an iPhone 4 yet. Wait until the beta 2 or 3 at least.

#214 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:56

I get a lot of crashes and hangs on my iPhone 5 (especially the Music App and Siri doesn't work half of the time). I wouldn't recommend it to an iPhone 4 yet. Wait until the beta 2 or 3 at least.

Thanks! Will leave it alone for now then! :) 

#215 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:59

so Apple usually releases updates to these within a 2 week period.. Anyone hearing any rumblings of a beta update? 

#216 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:43

I got it the opposite :

With iOS6, if you want a nice app, you can keep the default controls and it'll do a perfect job out of the box.

With iOS7, if you want a rich, vivid app, you need to customize everything.

From a usability point of view, the default controls in iOS 6 will do a fine job. However, if you want your app to succeed, you're aiming for more than just good usability. You are also looking to add personality to your app. And iOS 6 controls have their own, fairly overbearing personality. They are graphically heavy. Try to make an iOS 6 UIPickerView blend into any look other than 3D looking, bevelled and shiny and let me know how you go. The design world has moved on since the original introduction of the iPhone. Sure, one can rail against the constant churn of design trends, but this is the reality that developers are faced with. So currently, developers customise every single control in their app. Usually to tone it down.

Controls in iOS 7 are less graphical and less obnoxious. You could get away with customising their colour (trivial to do) and let your content, transitions and animations be the focus of your app's personality. The more minimal look is more flexible. It's a more forgiving foundation on which to build your own designs.

#217 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 June 2013 - 17:18

iOS 7 Beta 2 is now available OTA.

#218 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 24 June 2013 - 17:32

iOS 7 Beta 2 is now available OTA.

It comes with iPad support too: Apple Seeds iOS 7 Beta 2 to Developers with iPad Support

#219 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2013 - 18:24

I am trying to decide if I want to put it on my Mini or not.. What do you guys think? My mini is jailbroken, but honestly I am finding I really don't do anything with it being jailbroken on the mini. I had more tweaks installed on the iPhone not the iPad Mini. 

#220 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 June 2013 - 19:09

I am trying to decide if I want to put it on my Mini or not.. What do you guys think? My mini is jailbroken, but honestly I am finding I really don't do anything with it being jailbroken on the mini. I had more tweaks installed on the iPhone not the iPad Mini.

Couldn't hurt to try. You can always revert.

#221 neeldenn

neeldenn

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6 Spacegray 64GB

Posted 24 June 2013 - 20:20

I wanna know about the battery life

#222 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 24 June 2013 - 22:27

Just run a drain test on my development iPhone 5 which has a brand new battery pretty much (it's plugged in 24/7) - 23% longer than beta 1 under full load.

#223 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2013 - 23:55

Just run a drain test on my development iPhone 5 which has a brand new battery pretty much (it's plugged in 24/7) - 23% longer than beta 1 under full load.

Fantastic!

I just can't revert the jailbreak.

Btw can we install this version without a dev account like you could with beta 1. ?

Someone here was so kind and added me to his dev account so I can get it on my iPhone 5 and I don't want to ask for another spot for my iPad mini

#224 neeldenn

neeldenn

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6 Spacegray 64GB

Posted 25 June 2013 - 19:38

As far as I can tell, battery life improved! (Only have it installed since this afternoon) But I had it on standby from 5pm till 9pm and lost about 7%.

When I used to be on iOS6 the iPhone used to display LTE connectivity when available, even If I didn't have LTE included in my contract. Now it only displays what your connected to. (3G/4G/LTE and so on)

What I also didn't knew: When you double tap a CD Art Cover in iTunes it shows the whole album (Pretty nice feature for iTunes Match users)

Speaking of iTunes Match, there is still a button missing that lets you download a whole playlist at once.

But as far as I can tell, it's much more stable than Beta 1 :)

Just the few bits I was able to find out today.

#225 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 June 2013 - 14:08

For those wondering :

• A lot of bugs have been fixed.
  • They have done a lot of progress regarding the French localization (the one I'm using).
  • Only tiny little details have been fixed regarding the design, nothing too noticeable. We'll let them time for Beta 3 instead. Could be long to redesign a lot of icons and interface elements and whatnot.
  • Voice memos are back and I gotta love the fact that we can see the sound waves when cropping, especially when it zooms for more precision.
  • The ".com" button in the unified Search/Address field in Safari still gets hit when I really want to press the Spacebar. This hasn't been re-thought yet, but I do hope something will happen regarding this. Don't have a solution in my head though.

I'm now a paid Developer, took me a while to understand how to register a device on Apple's site. It was especially hard to get the UDID of my device when I had Beta 2 installed on it and I couldn't do anything except looking at my phone, because it wasn't activated.  :/ Luckily, the folder name of my iTunes backup had it - even though it really wasn't obvious how to get it on first thought.

Great, great article sums it up here :

http://www.macrumors...oice-memos-app/